• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

HPI Savage XL Octane

.AJ.

I suppose it also depends on how easy it is to install into other chassis ....

I would love to consider it as an alternative in my LST2, but space would be rather tight - looks like its about twice the physical size / footprint of the normal 'big block' nitro engine.

Al.

If the mock-ups were anything to go by, the actual block is a similar size to a nitro big-block, but the head looks a lot bigger than the mock-up, as does the carb. The mock-ups used a stock nitro carb, the carb in the prototype looks at least twice as big.

Having said that it's 15cc so it would stand to reason that the block is bigger too, unless it's just really tall and the large capacity comes from a massive stroke.

Edited by DreXeL

ooooh, i don't know, i never wanted an engine rc, a bit smelly and messy to work on in the house, but this already looks tempting. the idea of a crazy savage, that would be waterproof. would it? but then again............. i know completely different rc,,,, the baja flux, hmmm. i know thats not waterproof but i can put up with that not being waterproof cause dam, thats a rc to have. but if this savvy is waterproof.......... its gonna be a hard choice,lol.

i reckon the price will be up to the 800. enough to get me to wash up a couple of times before i ask my partner anyway

sorry, course it can't be waterproof, that would flood it,,,, wouldn't it?

Edited by forforksake

ooooh, i don't know, i never wanted an engine rc, a bit smelly and messy to work on in the house, but this already looks tempting. the idea of a crazy savage, that would be waterproof. would it? but then again............. i know completely different rc,,,, the baja flux, hmmm. i know thats not waterproof but i can put up with that not being waterproof cause dam, thats a rc to have. but if this savvy is waterproof.......... its gonna be a hard choice,lol.

i reckon the price will be up to the 800. enough to get me to wash up a couple of times before i ask my partner anyway

sorry, course it can't be waterproof, that would flood it,,,, wouldn't it?

more waterproof than a brushless leccy in theory, i have fully submerged my nitro for a couple of seconds and it survived lol

theyre having problems with the engine dyno testing etc + not having a strong enough drivetrain

these rumors have been about since a month or so after the first details about it where released last year/beginning of this year

speaker to a hpi reseller earlier hpi are having more problems with this and are actually about to scrap the petrol engine and make a bigger nitro engine than ever previously :S

whoever you spoke to are lying!

I very much doubt HPI will tell there reseller customers-to-be that they are having problems with it lol

theyre having problems with the engine dyno testing etc + not having a strong enough drivetrain

I seriously doubt they are having drivetrain problems, BP diffs can cope with brushless just fine and I doubt this engine will kick out more torque than a decent brushless setup.

HPI themselves only made this latest announcement a couple of days ago, with the latest picture of the prototype. Think about it logically, why would they announce it only a few days ago if they are 'having problems' and are 'about to scrap the idea'?

The 'reseller' you have been talking to is just spouting old rumors, nothing more.

Edited by DreXeL
  • Like 1

HPI themselves only made this latest announcement a couple of days ago, with the latest picture of the prototype. Think about it logically, why would they announce it only a few days ago if they are 'having problems' and are 'about to scrap the idea'?

I think the release will have a few more niggles than standard new releases but no major flaws.

But never rule out that sometimes companies have no choice or a forced to risk the release of an "unfinished" product. Happens all the time in the tech world! I'll be waiting for user/independent reviews on this one.

Edited by Deafty

I agree, but the way he was talking he was saying HPI have all but scrapped it, but the fact that HPI have made an announcement only two days ago makes the notion that they are about to scrap it ridiculous.

I think the release will have a few more niggles than standard new releases but no major flaws.

But never rule out that sometimes companies have no choice or a forced to risk the release of an "unfinished" product. Happens all the time in the tech world! I'll be waiting for user/independent reviews on this one.

infact all i was trying to say is they may have announced it but something may come in place or look completely different to this

it is far from th first time theyve pulled out of something or changed it

the engine will also bedone in 2 forms from what i have hear 15 and 23cc at a later date