• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

bumble bee quad copter kit build. Now a turnigy talon v2.0 quad build.

Toxic Basher

So after getting a parrot 2 and really enjoying it i decided id like something i could build myself :yes:

Mrs toxic basher said i could pick an rc kit of some sort for my xmas present so i picked the bumblebee kit from hobbyking uk :sweatdrop:

After a bit of research and some advice from a mate :thumbsup: i went online and ordered some goodies, this is what i ordered,

1 bumblebbe carbon fibre quad copter kit with motors and props,

1 hobbyking kk flight control board,

4 turnigy 30amp escs,

1 carbon fibre camera mount,

2 3s nano tech batteries plus a few other bits.

I accidentally ordered the octo distribution board instead of the quad one so if anyone wants to swap ?

Now i need a few bullets, wire and shrink tube ready for the build plus i also need radio gear, moneys not an issue for the radio gear but obviously i don't want to upset the mrs lol so any recommendations would be gratefull :yes:

Anyway heres a few pics for now, unfortunately the build wont start till around the 25 of december so apologies if you've come expecting to see it getting built :shockingscary:

Edited by Toxic Basher

DX6 upwards will be fine. you may want more chanels

to run the pan/tilt camera mount so i would say very minimum dx6 better with a dx8 or so

i am loving that OSD KK mainboard, am in hope i can hook an OSD to my arduino mainboard build.

am going to use the wii motion and the wii numchuck for the 3 axis gyro and accel sensors. ( same as the KK board)

Edited by Tamiyacowboy
  • Like 1

so mrs toxic basher gave in and let me build it early :xd: but only after i told her id be in the shed all day christmas day building it :030:

one quick call to my good buddy outlaw graphics for a bit of help and advice and i was ready to start, outlaw popped round to give me a hand :thumbsup: cheers bud, much appreciated.

first step was soldering nearly 8 inch extensions onto every motor wire, i wanted a tidy build, all wires hidden etc so this was the only way i could get the wires through the arms, so 12 soldered extensions later, and the motors were mounted to each arm with the wires threaded through the arm.

next step was to build the body, pretty straight forward really, it was tight fitting the escs all in the body so two are underneath and 2 on top.

next was fitting arms to body, then fitting top carbon plate, all wires plugged in, power distribution board mounted with kk flight controller on top.

heres a few pics :thumbsup:

so after wiring the whole thing up, reading a few instructions and watching a few videos i decided to plug it in...... nothing, no power at all, after checking over it many times till nearly midnight last night i discovered id bought 4 escs with no bec, you need at least one bec to power the kk board doh, so i got straight on ebay and ordered the same esc but with a bec fitted whilst there i got the program card for the escs :sweatdrop:

anyway, grabbed an old bec i had lying round, wired it into motor 1 socket, plugged motor 1 into motor 5 socket and copied settings from motor 1 socket to motor 5 socket lol turned it on and wooosh smoked 1 of the escs because id installed the wires wrong after fiddling over it so much :shockingscary:

unplugged it quick, turned wires correct way, now its working but the esc gets very hot, and the motor that the esc runs wont spin properly, good job i ordered the new esc lol

heres a few more pics for now, ill update again when my new esc arrives, thanks for reading :thumbsup:

• Like 2

Well hopefully the new esc and a few other bits will be here soon and I can crack on and get this baby flying :)

Getting a bit gutted just looking at it now, sitting there all carbony :(

on another note we got the servo on the camera gimble working. Looks ace and should be a useful filming tool. Ill get a few more better size pictures up later

Ha ha cheers roy :)

Ok wee update. Got the fresh esc installed, re done all the wiring on each motor with silicone wire. Nice and flexi. Seems the first stuff I used wasn't really suited, it was auto wire but was cheap anyway so no major loss.

Re built the entire thing, quick test and its all spinning but definitely needs some setting up lol

Will get vid and pics up tomorrow. :)

• Like 1

Toxic ,

whats the KK board like buddy.

i to like the look but decided to go with the DJI F330 / F450

comes with 18amp /20amp esc's and motors.

here is where i come unstuck, i like the cheapness of the KK board, but unsure if it has enough input/outputs

for added extras, gps, baro etc etc. any hints if the KK supports added sensoring ?.

if not my only other choice was the Naza flight box ( 3x gyro / 3x accel / baro onboard)

looking very good im thinking of building a quad ive been looking at this one http://www.electriflite.co.uk/store/index.php/multicopters/frames/x4-600fa.html as for the kk control unit i think you got a good one for the money thay are very good and work well ive had a go at my friends tricopter he had the same kk unit but quads are better then tricopters my mate spent a long time getting it right due to the odd number of motors and then you have to use a servo to tilt the rear motor to get the yaw or rudder working right

naza,s are very good you can add lots to them but its just the cost its a killer if your just starting out in quads go for the kk at least then if you dont get the bug then you havent paid too much money into something thats not your thing