• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Electric Guide

Garry

• 2 months later...

You really shouldn't need to. If you are chewing up spurs all the time something else is wrong - mesh, bad pinion, bent motor plate etc.

A metal spur might mask that, but it still needs fixing.

As for what else might be damaged - I'd guess internal gearbox gears.

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Hi, I have the tamco recon brushed and the BSD Racing prime desert assault brushed, and I would like to make them faster. Would you advise upgrading to lipo or going brushless?

Edited by Bob bob

I have no knowledge of the Tamco so I'll just say, Lipo for now. As for the BSD, there is a brushless version so I would certainly say go BL in that. However, I wouldn't recommend buying the combo from Century UK, their prices are crazy. 

Do you think that the Absima Brushless Combo Set Thrust BL 1:10 (modelsport) is any good? What combos would you suggest under £80? I would also like to be able to use lipos.

This is the ESC I'm looking at getting next:

http://www.modelsport.co.uk/hobbywing-quicrun-wp-10bl60-bl-esc/rc-car-products/382833

Then it's just a case of finding a motor. Such as:

http://www.modelsport.co.uk/hobbywing-quicrun-3656-3800kv-4pole-1-10-bl-motor/rc-car-products/392680

Obviously they can be had cheaper from the bay. 

Brushless combos are primarily meant to run on Lipos. 

6 minutes ago, Bob bob said:

What speeds should I expect from this on stock gearing and Nimh battery?

If I could tell you that I wouldn't be fretting about not having a job!

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Ok, so I've installed the motor and esc, and have ran it a few times, but after a couple of runs the steering stopped, the receiver wires are all in, it can be turned by hand when the car isn't on, but when the car is on, you can't turn the wheels by hand, it is too stiff.

any advice welcome

Edited by Bob bob

2 hours ago, Bob bob said:

Ok, so I've installed the motor and esc, and have ran it a few times, but after a couple of runs the steering stopped, the receiver wires are all in, it can be turned by hand when the car isn't on, but when the car is on, you can't turn the wheels by hand, it is too stiff.

any advice welcome

Can you elaborate?

Yes, if I turn the wheels by hand when the car is off, and then turn the car on, the steering moves to straight forward, but doesn't move any more, could it be a problem with the controller? Also, the receiver has been a bit dodgy, and I think it may need replacing.

• 2 weeks later...

I got a replacement for the receiver, but it won't bind, when I turn the car on, and the transmitter is off, the light is solid red, not flashing, and when I try to bind it, the light is solid red, or if I press a button on the receiver, then the light is off. However, when I turn it the car on and hold down the button on the receiver and turn the transmitter on without holding the bind button, it flashes green, but the transmitter doesn't control the car. When I turn the transmitter off, the flashing stops. 

On 27 June 2016 at 20:45, chewbacca said:

Try a new receiver first off, if that doesn't work, try a new servo.

Btw the steering works when I swap the channels on the receiver, I think that channel 1 is broken.

Any ideas welcome

• 1 month later...

Probably a silly newbie question but my old tl01 has a mechanical speed controller with a servo, is it simply a case of unplugging and removing the msc and servo and replacing them with a suitable esc? At present it's running a 380 motor which i will be replacing with some form of brushed 540 (it's for men on lay with my kids so doesn't need race pace).

cheers

5 minutes ago, 38thfoot said:

Probably a silly newbie question but my old tl01 has a mechanical speed controller with a servo, is it simply a case of unplugging and removing the msc and servo and replacing them with a suitable esc? At present it's running a 380 motor which i will be replacing with some form of brushed 540 (it's for men on lay with my kids so doesn't need race pace).

cheers

Hi chap, that's it exactly.  I swapped both my boys TL01's mech controllers to budget esc's and replaced the old worn 27t silver cans with new 27t silver cans and the difference was noticeable - more than quick enough for a 7 & 8 yr olds first RC at the time.

Check eBay too - oddly i've seen mint MSC's fetch ££ that we're worth selling them at.

1 hour ago, 38thfoot said:

Thanks, I'm still working with 27mhz, should any ecu work with any receiver or do they need to be matched?

Any esc should be fine.  From memory we used one of these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mtroniks-Electronic-Speed-Controller-AutoSport-Tuned-20-Waterproof-Brushed-ESC-/261198450903?hash=item3cd0a410d7:g:UkwAAOxyOeBR4BWX

Mtroniks-Electronic-Speed-Controller-AutoSport-Tuned-20-Waterproof-Brushed-ESC

and one of these (as I had a few knocking about)  - no real difference but I preferred this one as has a heatsink and lipo cut off / reverse lock out

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HOBBYWING-WATER-PROOF-60-AMP-Brushed-RC-ESC-For-UP-TO-3S-lipo-TAMIYAEND-/262587465772?hash=item3d236ec02c:g:iqsAAOSwqfNXnBbr

(not sure it's a hobbywing though....)  

Plenty of other options - these are popular - whilst it will run brushless too it only does specific motors (hence there very cheap_

Tamiya tble 02

If you've a local hobby store they may have something suitable.

• 4 weeks later...