• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Tamiya Lunchbox/Midnight Pumpkin Owners Club....

jason3249

5 hours ago, johninderby said:

Printed out the new front suspension for the Lunchbox. No more funny angles for the wheels now. :thumbsup:

Linkages need adjusting to get everything right but massive improvement nonetheless. 

John

C00_B986_D-3_FAA-4_A39-8345-2_D86_FEC03_

EB504538-881_A-4259-9_D58-9455_C2_FB5_F3

8_CCEA32_D-_F768-4146-9_F01-334_F238_E92

D94_B8_F14-93_C6-4_CB7-_A973-934_EDF2_C1

That looks fantastic :first:

5 hours ago, johninderby said:

Black body for the Lunchbox arrived the other day. The green body will be for shelf display but the black one for running. Zombie Outbreak Response Team decals added so when the body does get scraped up a bit can blame it on Zombie attacks.  :yes:

John

12_A3378_A-8_D54-42_B4-_ACF9-38_EFC40_AB

F9_F8_FD62-6_C4_C-4239-_B9_A8-865_A3_D68

Did those wheels come as black or have they been dyed?

Diff locks are on my mind today, among other things.

What are the pros and cons of fitting one of these gadgets to my Lunchie? (and the Pajero, as it needs all the help it can get to drag it's sorry little backside across the grass)

Thank you! :)

• Haha 1

Hi Nikki,

What are you trying to achieve? Locking the diffs will give more torque but not more speed, the reason for locking diffs is either to give more traction to a set of wheels but means the turning circle will be worse so handling usually suffers

Sent from my TA-1033 using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

The primary benefit of a diff lock is that it ensures that both wheels on an axle turn at the same speed irrespective of their relative levels of grip. Thus a vehicle with one wheel up in the air or on a slippery surface will still have drive going to the other wheel, which will hopefully have enough grip to keep the vehicle moving.

However as Gavster points out, this makes your turning circle larger, as the front wheels need to overcome the grip of the rears in order to rotate the vehicle. For serious offroading, this is perhaps a worthwhile compromise. However if you want to keep the vehicle capable of skipping merrily across the terrain at speed with handling unimpaired, an open diff might be a better bet.

If the vehicles in question had enclosed diffs, I would recommend filling them with thick grease (AW or similar) to slow their action. Although not a true limited slip differential as one would find fitted to a full-size car, the grease has a similar effect, ensuring that at least a portion of drive goes to both wheels at all times, while allowing enough relative movement for steering to remain pretty much unimpaired.

Sadly this isn't really an option on the Lunchbox and Pajero, as both use diffs wherein the gears are open to the rest of the gearbox. Any significant amount of thick grease placed on the diff gears will soon get flung off onto the other drive gears, slowing their action, which is the last thing you want as it shortens runtimes, slows the vehicle and causes the motor to run hotter.

Edited by XV Pilot
  • Thanks 1

My aim is to improve the off road ability. My Lunchbox doesn"t want to turn at speed anyway, it takes about the same amount of space as a lorry at times! Cutting the power and turning quickly has helped it though.

I take it a locked diff would require more effort still?

It would indeed - the turning circle would get larger still.

That said, if you are already used to cutting power and sliding the rear around, effectively performing a handbrake turn, locking the diff won't change things a great deal. If anything it will make your handbrake turns tighter, as it will ensure that both wheels are braked equally.

Nikki,

Have you thought about swapping out your wheels and tyres, I am not familiar with the Lunchbox workings but maybe there are some mods to the steering that can be made?

Speed may not be the answer however torque might be, have you thought about changing to a brushless LiPo system, it may be overkill though and not fix the issues, I have a VXL 3S system in my Mad Bull and it really does make it a bit mad, however it is quite good off road after a couple of 3D printed mods to the shock towers

@MissTWhat sort of situations/areas/terrain/maneuvers does your Lunchbox struggle with? What aspects of offroading would you like to improve? Perhaps we could suggest other approaches besides a locked diff that might help?

1 hour ago, XV Pilot said:

It would indeed - the turning circle would get larger still.

That said, if you are already used to cutting power and sliding the rear around, effectively performing a handbrake turn, locking the diff won't change things a great deal. If anything it will make your handbrake turns tighter, as it will ensure that both wheels are braked equally.

It doesn't always work as well as I'd hope.

1 hour ago, Gavster29 said:

Nikki,

Have you thought about swapping out your wheels and tyres, I am not familiar with the Lunchbox workings but maybe there are some mods to the steering that can be made?

Speed may not be the answer however torque might be, have you thought about changing to a brushless LiPo system, it may be overkill though and not fix the issues, I have a VXL 3S system in my Mad Bull and it really does make it a bit mad, however it is quite good off road after a couple of 3D printed mods to the shock towers

I'm curremtly thinking about a change of wheels and tyres, or at leadt getting another set more suited to the surfaces I prefer.

Using different motors on different surfaces has had an effect as well.

Steering upgrades are possible, see what John did above with his front suspension arms. It's something else for me to consider.

Now I have a little theory if you'll bear with me.

If a diff lock makes turns more difficult for a vehicle, then a vehicle that has a short wheelbase and turns too readily will effectively have this little trait dampened somewhat?

7 minutes ago, XV Pilot said:

@MissTWhat sort of situations/areas/terrain/maneuvers does your Lunchbox struggle with? What aspects of offroading would you like to improve? Perhaps we could suggest other approaches besides a locked diff that might help?

I like sand and gravel, and grassy muddy. Wet car parks too.

And what is the car struggling with? Is it getting stuck? Not going where you want it to? What would you like it to do differently to what it does now?

It gets stuck on various bits and pieces, with one rear wheel often lodged while the other spins freely. Hence my idea of a diff lock perhaps being the answer.

A locked diff would indeed help in that situation. If you are willing to put up with the steering consequences, might as well give it a go.

You might also want to experiment with soft spike tyres on the front to give more steering.

Or of course you could get really creative and adapt a DT-01 gearbox to fit the chassis. This has an enclosed diff which you can slow with grease for the best of both worlds.

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, XV Pilot said:

A locked diff would indeed help in that situation. If you are willing to put up with the steering consequences, might as well give it a go.

You might also want to experiment with soft spike tyres on the front to give more steering.

Or of course you could get really creative and adapt a DT-01 gearbox to fit the chassis. This has an enclosed diff which you can slow with grease for the best of both worlds.

Ok, so I'll try a locked diff on the Pajero and hopefully kill two birds with one stone.

I've been considering spiked tyres on the Lunchie for a little while now, and I'm just about to order some.

The DT01 gearbox sounds interesting. It's my next consideration after tyres if they don't improve the situation enough.

Thanks! :D

1 hour ago, MissT said:

Ok, so I'll try a locked diff on the Pajero and hopefully kill two birds with one stone.

I've been considering spiked tyres on the Lunchie for a little while now, and I'm just about to order some.

The DT01 gearbox sounds interesting. It's my next consideration after tyres if they don't improve the situation enough.

Thanks! :D

Is the pajero two or four wheel drive

neil 

4 minutes ago, Hornet neil said:

Is the pajero two or four wheel drive

neil 

Nominally two wheel drive but they spend a lot if time in the air!

Might it be time to graduate to something like the WT01? For what you use your trucks for it would be pretty much ideal and they have no end of available tinkering. I retired the Lunchbox pretty quickly because it'll never really be that capable imho, and I chucked a lot of money at decent shocks, 5th shock etc. I've done the Mad Bull box on a hornet but sadly didn't over grease the diff, would have been interesting. The Madbull (DT01) box is also a wider track and already uses hex drives.

@MissT: If you are getting frustrated with the CW-01 platform and fancy a change, both the WT-01 suggested by @NITO and the G6-01 suggested by @Gavster29 would be good options to consider. Both can be set up for all-wheel-drive and four-wheel steering, both can take M-03, TL-01 or TL-01B suspension arms for a choice of track widths, both can handle a fair bit of power if you want to fit hotter motors, etc. The main difference is that the G6-01 has an extra pair of wheels, whereas the WT-01 can be fitted with an extra motor for a twin-motor 4WD setup. 

Edited by XV Pilot