• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

what camera are you using? cheaper the better ( on-board)

RCbutcher

I might buy this because its perfect to sit on the slash 2wd battery I could make a fixment in an L shape and secure it with the battery holder then industral Velcro holding the cam on.

Camera

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MD80-MINI-DV-DVR-SPORTS-CAM-BIKE-CAM-MOTORBIKE-CAMERA-BLACK-/320818744270?pt=UK_Gadgets&hash=item4ab2498bce

Footage quality on the bike not in the house

Price troubles me tho he says $69 this is 9 pounds unless its crashed in price or been faked probably worth a punt what do you think.

I've got one of those key fob style cameras for my truggy - there are loads of different versions of them, some much better than others.(god knows what version i've got!)

Its alright for the price but I wouldnt mind something better...

I'm just loathe to spend out on something when theres a good chance it'll get smashed to pieces when I flip my Hyper ST

Theres a Hobbyking one that caught my eye but yet again, dont wanna spend to much

I'm ordering one of these too buggy it but there's 2 versions of the same model if you look some have a white marking at the bottom others are just plain.

There 2mp , 30fps , voice activated , come with accessories for mounting.

I'll make a stand using my slash battey then add 2 layers of Velcro to make it shock resistant do you think that would work. They also sell water proof case but I'm not going to buy that.

I'm going for the one with the marking on it for 11.5o

If anyone wants to test one out but doesn't really want to spend a tenner here's a 5er one from Hong kong with 8gb sd card but ill bet the card is fake I've been stung with sds before constantly formatting themselves and having half the capacity advertised ide recomend using a trusted sd card.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mini-DV-Camcorder-DVR-Video-Camera-Spy-Webcam-MD80-with-TF-8GB-Card-SD-Adapter-/170838409046?pt=UK_Camera_Video_Lights&hash=item27c6c33f56

The prices are all over the place from 5.00 to 50.00 for the md80 there's a md90 aswel which is pretty expensive in comparison but advertises the same specs I hope the footage ive shown is from these same ones on ebay.

Has ebay had an update to its layout its different on my phone?

Edited by RCbutcher

I had one; the image quality isn't bad, but most models are only 640x480p which is kinda pants.

The keyfob camera model 808 is the one to get, but do some reading up as there are loads of different versions and some are poor quality / low res:

Choose wisely...

Don't compare these when there on a plane or heli, plane and helis have loads less vibration so video quality will seem better.

Having them on a car Evan on the road is crap, you'd have to spend a lot more to get the quality.

I used cheapo ones on the heli, just to test before buying a GOPRO.

But as said its only a tenner for yous to test for your selfs, but I'd say save your tenner.

Sent from the Iphone via talktapa

Ive got 2 md80 copies cost less than a tenner for both and for the price there brilliant, had them on the tt-01 a couple of times, you do get the vibration feeling but I dont think its that bad, just need to put one on the firestorm :hahadance:

I used one of the cheapo 640x480 keyring cameras for the onboard footage in this vid:

Not the best quality but good enough, especially for P.I.P stuff like that.

• Like 1

I want one because I want to have it on my battery ill make a bracket so its sat on my slash battery looking out the window I'm gonna make some hanging dice too lol outta plasti card and using Velcro should take out the vibration alittle but even if it doesn't its still cool I've been in rally car and there not smooth lol adds to realise. Well hopfully mine will be here in the morning I might fit it on the revo to test still need batteries for.the slash and paint the shell I've marked it up just. I'm using tamiya skyline light buckets on it r35 rear lights for the front and I'm trying to figure a way of using the 435 fronts as my rears but that's not looking likly but the rears are perfect sct fronts.

What about a camera like this? http://www.amazon.co.uk/Recorder-Camera-Combination-Picture-Detect-Can/dp/B0081YG114/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=2F2Y2EHQAWCPE&coliid=I2IAMIEA9KMLN3

Less than double the price of an MD80, but with 720p and shaped like a flash drive so flat like a keyfob camera. I've found the MD80s a bit hard to mount inside the car, due to the height and trying to fit in under the shell, whereas the flatter ones are naturally much easier in this respect.

Sounds good mate ive already orderd the md tho still if I Ty turns out bad ill check that one out.

I was in b&m bargains today and they have a spy bot I can't remember what its called but it was in the office toys range looked good and I'm not certain but I think the cam is rc do they call that fpv? When I have more time ill get the model name and look into it I bet the cam is worse than were taking about but if its rc we could salvage the mechanics oh its a mechano something little white think on tracks.

I found some decent body spacers too thick foam and about the size of 50p coins plus you get around 20 or more for a quid, they might help take some vibration.out of the on board cams too.

I was expecting mine today but it didn't come I messed up I paid 11 but the 9 pound option has a free 2gb sd card but probably junk anyways lol if the cam isn't here by Wednesday ill take that as them ordering from China like some sellers do I'm sure.

That cam is cool and for extra 5er has free SanDisk 8gb that's worth it I'm sure it would mount easy could even stick that to the underside of the roof like glue some of those clamp type things that hold aquarium bulbs in place.

Edited by RCbutcher

I took the car out today with two MD80 cameras in, one facing forwards, the other back.

I'd not charged the forward facing one, so didn't get any footage :doh: but this is the rear-facing one, which should give you some idea of what they're like.

https://vimeo.com/51390141"]https://vimeo.com/51390141

One tip is to get a card with a high 'class' rating, class 6 being about right. The class is a measure of the read/write speed of the card and if the class is too low, the card can't write all the data quickly enough, so 'guesses' some bits, which give the footage a slight 'jelly' effect, as you'll see on my footage, where the picture seems to wobble as the car's moving.

Edited by graxon2001

Bad link, fixed:

[vimeo]

[/vimeo]

The result of a slow memory card is dropped frames and stutters in the video; the 'jelly' affect ( most obvious when the car is turning left or right as everything goes wavy ) is due to the terrible quality of the sensor and image processor- the footage is just as poor in my old videos I made with the unbranded MD80.

Really, these things will not give you good footage, not if you want to put up a decent video for people to watch without them feeling sea sick. If you have to go cheap ( peasants... ), then get the keyfob camera as they are 720/1080p, get a decent microSD card ( 4-8GB & atleast class 6 as mentioned ) & mount them securely with a little bit of foam to absorb impacts.

If you have some money to spend, look at the more expensive and large sports cameras that are appearing everywhere ( you get what you pay for, easy to see why a

Edited by suicideneil

Lol peasant no just rather pay as little possible for these sorts of things ide like a go pro but ide rather have my driving license the footage I've seen is good enough for me and it can be used inside the shell so the rc doesn't look daft lol. I got mine today and it looks cool I haven't used it yet but even if its a 3rd of the quality of some around 7o - 150 then im laughing I'm not looking to get any YouTube contracts lol