• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

My Lunchbox Build

n_d_fox

Yep, sorry for dragging the tread off topic but i spotted an Icom box in the back of one of the photos! I used to work for them about fifteen years ago now (i'm 47).

that would be one of my pics then, yep thats my 7400 it was half the cost of a decent rx with a load more stuff on it, i spend hours just listing

• Like 1

lol i had to read it twice till i twigged, just another hobby of mine i listen to radio hams and radio signals from all round the world

back on topic sort of.

nearly finished my bear hawk (just need some 12mm hexes) and got to spray up the shell for the mad fighter, lunchbox news my janfac order should be here soon i hope.

12mm hex adaptors... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tamiya-Hex-Wheel-Adapters-Wild-One-Grasshopper-FAV-Sand-Scorcher-SRB-/320985781301?pt=UK_ToysGames_RadioControlled_JN&hash=item4abc3e5435 - From RadShape ;)

I ordered some from RCLover on eBay (Japan) before i knew RadShape did them :(

Apologies for the lack of pics on the LB build... i didnt get chance to take any yesterday. I'll sort some out later today if i get chance. Hopefully the new motor turns up today and i can get that installed and get the front suspension finished. I'll then have a rolling chassis :D

i only needed standard hexes for the rear of the bear hawk, ordered yesturday and thay come this morning

rear hexes for the lunchbox are the easy part to find (for fitting aftermarket rims) but no one does the fronts with bearings in them

i have some 12mm hex stainless steel bar and some bearings, just got to get my bum in gear and turn them up on the lathe

The new motor arrived this morning and the hex adaptors for if i ever want to swap the wheels out... reading the above from the grand master Flash though, i might stick with what i have ;)

What are the standard tyres on the LB BTW ? - 1.9s, 2.2s ?

Anyway... look what i did :D :D :D

Ta dah !

DSCF1937.jpg

Yep... got the front end all installed, got the wheels on, the motor in and the body in place etc.

DSCF1941.jpg

Body and chrome work is proper bashed but i'll do something with that now i have the chassis rolling.

Few chrome parts are missing too...

DSCF1942.jpg

Rear end with 5th shock mod ;)

DSCF1943.jpg

Shot showing how badly scratched up the body is... this thing has been rolled a few times i reckon...lol

DSCF1944.jpg

So next on the to do list is the bodywork... i've settled on a Red Bull theme since seeing some pretty cool decal sheets... 2 tone body colour etc. I'm going to rub down and prep the body and see how well its going to come up. If its too far gone i'll look at a new shell. New chrome will be going on too. Oh and i'll colour code the wheels too.

Then its radio gear & power and off we go ! :D

Thanks, Nige

There not a standard size, there a tamiya standard size iirc there 2"

1.9 and 2.2 rims will go on without a problem if you can find hex adapters for the front (mm)

I have a set of hpi scorch 6 spokes to go on mine what are 2.2"

Edited by flash22

Hiya,.Been following your thread. She's looking good mate.

Like someone else on the thread my 1s RC was a MidnightPumkin aka LunchBox. Had bloody great fun with it, this was over 20 years ago, brings back alot off good memories :rolleyes:. Currently it's sitting back home in NZ but after reading/watching your build I think I'll be getting her shipped over.

I would like to take this opportunity to point out+ask about some of the minor pitfalls with the model.

• MY body mounts broke frequently, there were alu upgrades back then but were sadly not available in NZ.
  • Servo Saver also broke on mine often and the replacements were expensive back then. The priced hasn't changed in 20 years mind so now they're cheap lol. iI wonder if there is some kind of mod that can be done to improve the situation. Perhaps it was my novice driving but 1 little knock had the s-saver broke.
  • I always wondered about using diff oil which was very uncommon. I wonder if that would improve things. At one point I added some std oil in the little oil cap that sits on the gearbox which (though for only 2 runs) made a massive difference. I did have the SBB's installed but man she was vastly better!
  • Good move reversing the wheelie bar. It was cool popping big as wheelies but thats all she could with the stock direction. I do remember that at the time this model was popular so too if not more so was the "ClodBuster" and ever popular "Blackfoot". Somewhere in the USA were aftermarket wheelie bars that fitted the LunchBox. My Stock one wore down pretty fast to the point I couldn't even mount the wheel to it. The modded one had 2 rubber wheels and used and extra brace making it a lot wider, almost like 2 mounted side by side.
  • Could never afford the Electric speed controller though now I have 3 in my spares draw lol. Old school "slotcar type" mechanical throttle/reverse using a crappy servo. Crazy days lol. Especially with it all hiding away in little black rubber balloons to keep the weather out.

Looking forward to your completion and paint job. She looks good already. :)

Ok back too watching thread and sorry for interrupting,.

Good to have you along Deafty... :D

I'm no expert... have been out of the game for a long time but building this LB has opened my eyes to a lot of what has changed since my last dabble in RC (with a Tamiya Falcon for the main part).

Aluminium body mounts are still available but i'll be honest, even if mine had all of them missing i probably wouldnt have bought into them. They are just too expensive in my opinion and you can easily make your own with a cut down knitting needle. I've used a 4.5mm aluminium needle to brace the front of my chassis and make the front mounts in one unit. Using a metal file to make flat sides and then drilling through with a 3mm drill for the screws and a 2mm drill for the body pins to go through... it works perfectly and wont break. If the rear (plastic) mounts fail i'll get whats left of that needle and cut it down into 2 new mounts.

The servo saver in use now is what i am assuming to be the original one. There was an Acoms servo in the chassis when i got it but it had seen water and was pretty corroded. I decided to replace it so got a HPI waterproof servo. It may not be the cutting edge in servo technology but its better than what was there and hopefully wont go the same way if it gets wet. Looking on eBay the Tamiya servo savers dont look too expensive now. There is a new set listed now for

I'm not rushing the bodywork though... it will probably see at least 3 coats of primer with a wet rub down between coats to get the finish nice and smooth.

Unless it's gonna be a shelf queen, not a HUGE amount of point in making things silky smooth as the lunchbox will be legs in the air or stuck under a car before you know it :P

• Like 1

Dont worry... no shelf queens here... ;)

I'm telling you lot (and myself) that i'm not going to rush the paint... i know what will happen... 2 coats of primer with a quick rub down in between coats and 3 coats of paint and i'll call it done. Thats usually the way...lol

I have said all along though that the body is bashed (and cracked albeit not badly) in a few places so it wont ever be mint, just better and mine :D

Cheers, Nige

this is looking good Mr For :thumbsup:

i have one myself (well i got it for my daughter lol) was just gonna paint it the one colour aswel but she couldnt make her mind up on the colour she wanted so i decided to do a twist on the lunchbox design and made it more personal for my daughter

gallery_25960_1874_1018382.jpggallery_25960_1874_73138.jpg

turned out ok and she really loves it, not done any mods to it as of yet but will do once shes finished with it then will get a new shell and make it mine :whistling: lol

Paul

We'll have ourselves a LB owners section on the forum next ...lol ;)

I did manage to get the bodywork started over the weekend but havent managed to upload the pics yet. Got 2 coats of primer on the body and rubbed down nice and smooth... 1 coat left and then the colour.

I'm going to order the decal sheets this week and then test try them with the body to see if the single colour will look ok... if it looks pants i'll get a silver and 2tone it.

The glass had been "tinted" badly with black spray so its looking like i'll need new glass and the front chrome is pretty trashed too so i'll be getting a new chrome set as well... these rebuilds soon add up dont they ! :D :D

To be fair, i worked it out the other day and all in so far (with the upgraded parts and bits n bobs) its cost me just shy of a new kit without ESC, servo etc. so thats not too bad.

Edited by n_d_fox

Right... got time to upload the pics for the start and first 2 primer stages of the bodywork...

I'll be honest, at this point i was tempted to add some brown / orange paint to doors and lower panels to look like rust and then leave it... beaten up rat look FTW !

DSCF1945.jpg

DSCF1947.jpg

I didnt though... ;)

This is the first coat of primer, left to dry and then rubbed down with 1200 grit wet n dry - left dry.

DSCF1949.jpg

DSCF1950.jpg

Some of the edges and corners are still showing scrapes and damage but unless i go to town and rub all the body lines smooth i wont be able to do anything with those.

Here's the pics following the 2nd coat of primer and a rub down with 1200 grit wet n dry - wet this time (soaked for a couple of hours in soapy warm water).

DSCF1951.jpg

DSCF1952.jpg

Aside from the gold showing through a little where the heavier defects in the body were i could have probably have gone straight to colour at this point... After rubbing it down with the soaked wet n dry the finish was silky smooth.

I havent though, its in the shed as i type drying after a 3rd (slightly heavier) and final coat of primer... all was going well until a moth (i know, couldnt believe it) decided to land on the side of the van into the wet paint !... i managed to get it off and clean the side off ok and carry on spraying but it was a moment of much cursing and stamping feet...lol It will be fine after another session with the wet n dry and then i can start the colour.

Heres the decals i am going to use - http://www.radshapercshop.com/red-bull-decals-prod-87.html

Thanks, Nige

I'm going for a pearlescent vauxhall blue... cant remember the name of the colour but its the blue the Astra VXR comes in... its a medium to light shade so hopefully looks nice.

I was going to do it 2tone blue and silver but i couldnt find a silver i liked so went with this to see... the decals should be big enough to pull it off without the silver i think...

There is a cool RockStar energy drink decal sheet but i like the DC and other decals in the red bull set plus i've seen a few cool looking vans on google images so that made my mind up.

Nice work, good to see a details fella out there! That Body has come up pretty good I rekon. lokking forward to 1st base coat :thumbsup:. Oh and If you fellas make a LunchBox Club can you include the Midnight Pumpkin i the Title? Cheers, cos I wanna join,.lol

Edited by Deafty
  • Like 1

Thanks Deafty... the pics certainly do it a lot of justice... in the flesh its still got a few signs of heavy bashing from its past... i do intend on using it as Tamiya intended though so although i want to take my time and make it look nice, it will take a few hits ;)

Dont worry... we'll call it the Tamiya LB / MP Chassis Owners Club or something like that...lol

Just going to fetch the body from the shed and get it into the warm... will give it a rub down and get a few snaps.

Cheers, Nige