• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

2 wheel drive mini8?

mhm

Hi all,

So today I noticed that my mini has decided to become 2 wheel drive! The front two wheel no longer seem to spin when it's off the ground. I can see the drive shaft to the fron diff is spinning though so I'm guessing the front diff has expired? Anyone had anything similar?

I haven't taken it apart yet to see what's wrong. I also noticed that. On the lipos it now veers off to one side if I accelerate full throttle from stand still which never used to happen before so I'm wondering if there is something wrong with the rear diff also. (tracks straight under constant throttle). Any ideas before I start to strip it all down?

Thanks

not had any probelms like that with mine but like you say the front diff sounds like its knackered and some of if not all of it needs replaced but you wont find out till its apart i guess.

the pulling to one side is because most of the power is sent to the rear wheels when you give itf full throttle from a standstill but if your going steady then power is distrubeted more evenly but not 50/50 more likely 60/40 as most 1/1 cars do like scoobys and evo`s.

That's fine but why would that make it pull to one side? Surely that should only happen if power is being distributed unevenly left to right?

its basicly making the car rwd until it gets some traction so if your giving it waldy from the start most of the power go`s to the back wheels until the front get some bite then when that happens it should be more of a 4wd vehicle.

if you watch a rally car going from the start line the car is going kinda sideways until the front gets grip same thing when the go around a corner the power is sent the back wheels so the car can go forward as fast as possible then the front will get power so the car can be as stable as possible along the straights.

i guess its just way losi designed the mini 8ight if they put the diff/motor mount in the middle like most cars the it would have been better but i can only guess that losi thought the mid or rear motormount would have been better

mine does the same if its not the front its the rear im in the middle of sorting the phantom vanishing grub screws with a new one and locktight if that dont work al give in

Edited by PIPE247

This more of a pain than I thought it would be!

The screw came loose again on mine quite quickly and in fact this time I lost it. Not too much of a problem as I had ordered the Losi spare hardware set and it has 3 in there... Put in a new one with plenty of Loctite this time... and its loose again already!

A week ago I bought my nephew a mini8 also for his birthday and on his the front screw had already come out and the rear one was loose! Used Loctite on those also and replaced the front. He's been playing with it all weekend since then but I haven't checked it to see if it all four wheels are still being driven.

Anyone have any other suggestions for curing the problem more permanently?

there are different types of loctite,perhaps you need the stronger one

EDIT: The grub screw has to line up with the flat spot too or it will always come loose.

Edited by goldblades7

This more of a pain than I thought it would be!

The screw came loose again on mine quite quickly and in fact this time I lost it. Not too much of a problem as I had ordered the Losi spare hardware set and it has 3 in there... Put in a new one with plenty of Loctite this time... and its loose again already!

A week ago I bought my nephew a mini8 also for his birthday and on his the front screw had already come out and the rear one was loose! Used Loctite on those also and replaced the front. He's been playing with it all weekend since then but I haven't checked it to see if it all four wheels are still being driven.

Anyone have any other suggestions for curing the problem more permanently?

take the diff outdrive of and put some jbweld or something like that on there and put it back together it will never happen again as you wont be able to take it apart again or its the outdrives themself that are knackered and wont let the screw tighten up properly even with loctite

there are different types of loctite,perhaps you need the stronger one

EDIT: The grub screw has to line up with the flat spot too or it will always come loose.

aaah. I didn't check for that.

Yes I know about the different loctite strengths. I have a selection! I had used one of the weaker ones, I think it has a break strength of 16Nm but I would have though that adequate for a tiny little screw like that.

I'll make sure I line it up properly and use a stronger loctite next time.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

i have had the same problem, its the grub screw (what ever you call it) on the centre outdrive set. all you need to do it find it if its missing or buy one; then just loctite it back on, then your sorted  :thumbsup: