• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Hebby's Marine Reef Tank therad.

hebby

Not my thing, but got to appreciate the effort it takes to do it right.

:)

Cheers mate :-)

Wouldnt believe the effort :-0

Making sure salt levels are just right every other day, calcium levels, magnesium levels, that's just a few of about 20 that need keeping in check :-/

Watching for coral deseases, parasites, and things that eat certain corals like horrible nudibranches :-(

Then keeping corals healthy with amino acids and foods, correct lighting, and water flow :-/

But to me it's worth every second to sit and look at what you have done and how colourfull everything looks and makes you feel good when visitors see it and say WOW! Now that's nice :-)

Its a ballache sometimes and sometimes I just wanna jack it all in ESP when summat dies or a coral starts to die and you done everything possible to make sure everything is just right :-/

Nice

Cheers mate :-)

There is fish but they were sleeping :shockingscary:

Only switched on the lights to get some pics then back off again :thumbsup: will get some tomorrow lads when there out and about.

Have a black clown fish, rabbitfish aka foxface and a chalk goby :thumbsup:

• 10 months later...

Nice, dose the lights change colour at different time of the day

No the daylights and blue lights are on from 7:30am till 7:00pm ( with timer ) and then when the daylights ( sunlights ) go off the moonlight comes on :-)

Have a control box under the cupboard that mimics a thunder storm with lightning :-) only thing it doesn't do is the waves :-(

very nice, bigger the tank better

100% correct Jony :-)

Nice!

What filtration system are you running Hebby?

At the min it's mainly Live rock and Skimmer apart from that its a but of filter floss ;-)

Try to keep nitrates down by not having a mechanical filter and try to use bio filter as much as poss :-) skimmer is there as a back up and doesn't really pull much from the water :-/ but nice to know its there just in case of a bacteria outbreak :-)

At the min it's mainly Live rock and Skimmer apart from that its a but of filter floss ;-)

Try to keep nitrates down by not having a mechanical filter and try to use bio filter as much as poss :-) skimmer is there as a back up and doesn't really pull much from the water :-/ but nice to know its there just in case of a bacteria outbreak :-)

At least if its not skimming out much crap you know the filtration is keeping on top of stuff.

looking good buddy!!! pulsing stars went mental all over my old mans l/r one bit would break off and another colony would pop up in the most random places even on the glass where the coralline algae had formed lol had to get rid of quite a bit so it was back to the shop so he could get some cash for the lipstick tang. you got a pistol shrimp to go with your goby? great to watch :) 

looking good buddy!!! pulsing stars went mental all over my old mans l/r one bit would break off and another colony would pop up in the most random places even on the glass where the coralline algae had formed lol had to get rid of quite a bit so it was back to the shop so he could get some cash for the lipstick tang. you got a pistol shrimp to go with your goby? great to watch :)

Yeah not really had any problems with pulsing Xenia :-)

And yeah have a tiger pistol shrimp that ALLWAYS has his feelers on the goby making sure he dont go too far from the cave lol

The goby and pistol pair are amazing to watch as they are ALLWAYS moving something around :-/

Been up about a year now but had a bad loss trying to get rid of Bryopsis :-/ almost lost all corals having found out the only way to rid of the stuff without using lettuce slugs was to use hydrogen peroxide :-( but still it's now gone and tank is getting back to normal :-)

That is proper nasty stuff!!! We had a couple of big out breaks of aiptasia bubble algae and other nasties during the start up stage. Puts a real downer on it :( even worse when something breaks out when you think the tank is matured!!!

Cheers buddy :)

Pretty sure my dad has done a bit of scaping and fragging so it would of changed a bit. The tank is around 7 or 8 years old.

Edited by Rusty1103

Yeah had it REALLY bad :-(

In the end had to sacrifice most of my corals to rid it :-( only maybe one or two survived and it was the SPS that survived surprisingly :-) but had to make a choice so had to be done.

Now it's doing fine with no major outbreaks apart from Aiptasia :-( but just got a peppermint shrimp and a Aiptasia filefish so should be gone soon :-)

Now have decided on an open top tank as I like to view from above :-) and once misses decides how the kitchen is going to be and what sort of kitchen she wants that's what I'll be getting for in there :-)