• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Bez's 100+MPH 1:8 On Road Project - End result 110Mph :)

-BEZ-

Another fantastic build Bez, looking really nice, and it's good to see someone else using a spool like I am (yours looks a bit better than mine though :P )

Quick question, what is the ratio for your diffs?

On the Hyper it's 3.30769 so with 30/36 that I run it's geared for about 170mph! :lol:

If yours is a similar ratio, then on 36/30 it's going to be simply mental! Let alone 41/25

Should easily hit 100mph with this though, I think it will top out at about 130-150mph.

I see you also have problems with finding the right length driveshafts?

Is it because of the spool making the cups stick out a little further?

I'm still looking for the right length ones for my Hyper lol

Edited by revorocks

Another fantastic build Bez, looking really nice, and it's good to see someone else using a spool like I am (yours looks a bit better than mine though :P )

Quick question, what is the ratio for your diffs?

On the Hyper it's 3.30769 so with 30/36 that I run it's geared for about 170mph! :lol:

If yours is a similar ratio, then on 36/30 it's going to be simply mental! Let alone 41/25

Should easily hit 100mph with this though, I think it will top out at about 130-150mph.

I see you also have problems with finding the right length driveshafts?

Is it because of the spool making the cups stick out a little further?

I'm still looking for the right length ones for my Hyper lol

well the good thing about the DM1 is it comes standard with a spool. so all the drive shafts are the right length (koyosho cvds are menat to fit, but following the guide lines set on other forums the rear is too long :( so im still on the hunt for one, but that said the rear dogbone will be fine for now :good:

As far as im aware the diff ratio is stock 13:43 (If I can remember off the top of my head) which is std for 95% of 1:8 kit :)

Also dont ever believe speed calcs they never take into consideration of drag, aerodynamics and ground effects so as a guide always take off 40% of what the calc gives you. The most important thing to a high speed run is a HUGE runup. Im confident this will go over 100Mph just not sure how much further it will go. Im not going to push too hard this year as i havent even been able to do any testing yet so the big push will be next year ;)

so watch this space lol

Edited by -BEZ-

I do hope to see this in person at ROSSA, and see how much faster it is than mine (as I'm running the same setup electronics wise)

Looks much more aerodynamic than mine :P

Loving the chassis! You've got a nice advantage of being able to have a much better layout then me. I'm so limited for space on the Hyper :P

Still with mine, I'm hoping to have the fastest Hyper on the forum, although I have a feeling Robin has got something up his sleeve :P

Just a thought Bez, I know a lot of the high end racers use a 5th body post in the middle of the bonnet, set back from the first 2, to stop the body deforming at high speed. Maybe something similar to this, to physically stop the shell deforming would be a good idea?

interesting thought, but if i wanted to reinforce the body i would use a mix of carbon and epoxy ;) ...... In fact I will be reinforcing the rear due to the cut out, but that is simply done by gluing some L brackets into place :good:

Chassis is FINALLY finished - pics in opening post, a few little nips and tucks but hardly anything to fret about now. Im going to reinforce the rear of the bodyshell this afternoon, and sift thru the MGM manual to make sure its all tip top (and plug it into the lappy) then she is ready for some low level testing prior to rossa :)

Edited by -BEZ-

Bez, are you going to solder up an extension wire for the packs to run in series? Or are you going to lengthen the battery wires? It's a long way between the packs xD

In the future I would like to try a project like this! And whats Ironic is that if I did do a project like this, I would have done everything exactly the same way. At the start I was thinking what I would do, then I scrolled down a bit and BAM you had already done it :xd:

Bez, are you going to solder up an extension wire for the packs to run in series? Or are you going to lengthen the battery wires? It's a long way between the packs xD

In the future I would like to try a project like this! And whats Ironic is that if I did do a project like this, I would have done everything exactly the same way. At the start I was thinking what I would do, then I scrolled down a bit and BAM you had already done it :xd:

lol I was thinking the same thing.

I wouldn't go for these streamliner designs everyone does, I'd choose something like this :good:

The number one problem all of these cars have is air, usually it getting under the shell and causing them to flip.

Next year I'm gonna do my own one of these, definitely with a custom chassis like yours, gives SO much more room for a proper layout!

For now though, its the buggy project for me :)

Looking AWESOME Bez, can't wait to see a test video if you get one :)

Yeah I opted for a 1:8 or 1:7 on road car for the main reason is there is oodles of space under the shell, Just as well tbh as it only just all fits as it is :rofl:

Believe it or not, the wires are actually long enough to connect in series without extended wires ........ i planned it like that honest :whistling:

Good news ................ ITS ALIVE!!!!! :xd:

all the leccys are fitted, and anti spark mod done (got to say the difference with not using a antispark even on 4s is massive) MGM programmed even tho it made me feel like a n00b again lol there are approx 80 different options and parameters listed and boy is it hard work to setup.

just leaves me with the boring jobs of fine tuning the chassis and balancing wheels

for some strange reason the MGM wasn't delivering the power to the motor :( even nick couldn't figure out why, so its going back to MGM to see whats up with it .

My HN SC did a impressive 63Mph on 20:48 gearing tho lol

by far not a wasted day, just a bit of a downer, but I will keep pushing the DM1 and i have some plans to do some more testing (maybe destructive) with a XErun 150 and smaller gearing.

I will not give up till I have reached my target speed lol