• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

BOOOOMM! New engine time...suggestions

Feedtheinferno

Right so I thought as its a nice day I would tune my thunder tiger tomahawk st.

Managed to get it to a point where I was happy with the tune and as I started it for a test run on the new tune I hadn't noticed that the plastic connector to the metal throttle linkage had come off.....

Started the buggy up and tried to turn the trim on the controller down and nothing happened, the car was stuck at full throttle and I couldn't stop it at all, I put my foot over the exhaust to try and kill the engine, fuel spurted out of the head of the engine and it wouldn't stop. What felt like an hour later it stopped (without being out of fuel)

So now the engine won't turn over and its totally burnt. Time for a new engine I think.

So I think the car can have a .18 engine what should I get? Along with a tuned pipe.

+1 Chris.

Might have overheated and warped the cooling head.

Might have damaged the button.

Might simply be a burnt out glow plug.

I'd check your clutch as well.

Good luck mate - might not be as bad as you think - here's hoping.

Al.

Name's not Jeremy Clarkson by any chance is it? ....

Find a manual, get it out and have a go mate - spannering is quite frustrating sometimes, relaxing others.

You'll learn loads of things, some of which are actually useful.

If you're hellbent on fitting a new engine, no worries - know where you're coming from as I'm breaking in a ZR.32 in my Losi MT.

Al.

Just having a laugh mate.

It's quite therapeutic spannering I find, particularly if you're 'deskbound' most of the time.

No ideas what to recommend on the 0.18 size TBH - I'm on the bigger stuff, running nitro and petrol monster trucks.

Al.

hahaha time to put the Losi aside and buy a HPI Baja or FG Marder/Baja...just pure gas....brooooooooom vroooooooom ding ding ding...ding

• Like 1

Go for a 4WD FG Monster - that'll do it.

There's a new 4WD Leopard with the BMW X6 shell coming out - worth a look - Dakar look.

I'm sure Mike 1970 will give the inside story on it.

Al.

theyres the hpi thunder tiger picco all small blocks mate

here modelsport list =665&MSAttributeID[7]=842]http://www.modelsport.co.uk/pullstart/rc-car-categories/9930/993010&MSAttributeID[8]=665&MSAttributeID[7]=842

if it was me id be getting the g3 or t3 mate :)

Edited by jordan_bench10
  • Like 1

hahaha time to put the Losi aside and buy a HPI Baja or FG Marder/Baja...just pure gas....brooooooooom vroooooooom ding ding ding...ding

Well it wasn't my Losi 5 that broke if you read the first post it was a thundertiger tomahawk st :)

open the engine up and have a look , see whats gone on inside

I'll add a photo of my findings now :)

PeZVX.jpg

Sorry for the blurryness it was a iphone at wayy to close....bye bye piston ;)

Sweet video!

go for the HPI engine G3 good engines http://www.modelsport.co.uk/hpi-g3.0-engine-slide-carb-w-pull-start/rc-car-products/363306

Edited by racespecs

Well it wasn't my Losi 5 that broke if you read the first post it was a thundertiger tomahawk st :)

I'll add a photo of my findings now :)

PeZVX.jpg

Sorry for the blurryness it was a iphone at wayy to close....bye bye piston ;)

Damn, that's not nice mate!!

Defo time for a new unit - fancy going to a .21?

Will they fit?

Can you handle such a beast? !!! LOL!

Got to try it.

Breakage is always a great opportunity to 'upgrade'!!

Al.

• Like 1

Great vid, those cars are massive, BTW what camera did you stick on the cars?

I have no idea if a .21 would fit. How would I find out short of trying to fit one?

I enjoy breaking stock items, gives me a brilliant excuse to spend more on shiny new things ;)

Sites like www.towerhobbies.com give full specifications, including fitment dimensions.

Check out your own, then check out .21 motors on Tower - good reference site.

Al.

Andyw m8....i got that video from youtube...i subscribe to him..think its in Korea or Japan....but its awesome vid..thanx anyway ... i was just trying to persuade Feedtheinferno to get a new car lol...hoping the vid would sway him...hahaha

Ha ha no worries, it swayed me but I've got no cash left.

Andyw m8....i got that video from youtube...i subscribe to him..think its in Korea or Japan....but its awesome vid..thanx anyway ... i was just trying to persuade Feedtheinferno to get a new car lol...hoping the vid would sway him...hahaha

just promise me you won't get a ansmann racing engine, they are great, good power but my god are they built poorly.

To be honest I don't like anything made by ansmann so my promise will be kept ;) I just bought a HPI D8 instead so I may convert this Tomahawk st as I haven't seen it done yet?