• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Any 1/5 scale drifters?

Drift-king

I'd love to set my Fg onroad up for drifting but seems to be a lack of interest or parts in the 1/5 scale area.. Anyone on here got a drift spec 1/5 scale??? Pics and setup info? Iv got cheap hard rubber tyres for rear grp a tyres in the front adjustable diff nearly fully locked. Still not set up how I would like but there are no other tyre options and don't think PVC pipe would have enough grip for back tyres..

Also no drift spec bodyshells.. Body's are the worst thing about 1/5 scale! There's just not enough options and so many good models that could be made..

• Like 1

To a certain extent, yes... But that's not really drifting its just power sliding.. Iv got a 7hp oddified engine and clutch which is a top end race engine. But to sustain the drift and have control would need some really hard compound tyres on the rear, But these are not available due to lack of interest in 1/5 drifting.. Equally hard PVC pipe type tyres I think would damage the engine from over reving. Maybe a hard tyre with a PVC strip inserted would be the best of both worlds? It's hard to say.. That's why I'm looking for members with some experiance in this area.

Thanks for the reply

Thanks lorrylemming, il try that when I finally get my new servos fitted, can't see the tape lasting long on 1/5 scale car but I will try and see if it gives the desired effect..

Iv had my eye on them too... Iv spent far to much lately though!! Maybe next year.. For now il stick with the Fg. Have been looking at hpi Baja to so mcd might be a nice compromise.

is it rear wheel drive? as all the RC drift cars seem to be 4wd other than a few that are setup specifically for rwd drifting by mounting the motor over the front wheels etc

try having a play around with the camber to gain/lose grip were you need it

Yeah it's rear wheel drive.. The engine is mid mounted. These cars are racers so maybe it's just plausible to set them up as good drift cars, that's probably why there are no 1/5 drifters around. Il still play around asmuch as I can with setup but may have to find a different platform to drift with.. I might buy a 1/10 drift car as a guide.. What is the most popular 1/10 drift car at the moment?

Thanks

probably TT01 but they are FAR from the best :lol:

if you are just mucking about you just want a decent TC chassis, i use a TC3, but cyclones are popular, Xray, TC3/4/5/6 etc

the old racing chassis give you a lot more adjustability, the TT01s are cheap but really limited

Yeah it's rear wheel drive..

This is why you are having no luck! Due to weight RWD doesn't really work. Not many largescales used for drifting due to monies and as you say lack of drift options. 1/10th 4wd belt driven, brushless, LiPo powered, TC FTGDMFOMGBBQFW ;)

Ide like to see the videos of you trying just because it hasn't been done or recognized doesn't make it impossible. Theres a post saying rwd drift set up to have the motor up front your engine is centred so put lead up front and heavy duty duct tape on the wheels try anything that's what we love about rc pushing our selves to create something special and boy are you on a special path. I love the 5th scale on roads tire screech would be ace as a drifter. Please get plenty of footage

I know what you mean about the 5th shells tho most look too square but the btcc shells look good ide have BMW or Porsche

BMW is long wheelbase.. The most common size chassis.. But the Porsche body's only fit short or medium size chassis which most people say these don't handle aswell as long so this cuts down shell options even more!! That's a good idea adding weight to the front! And duct tape on the tyres.. Il def get some footage when I get these new servos set up mate.

Sounds cool mate can't wait I've seem fg cars fun racing and the tire screech is so cool. I never knew there was size options for the chassis cheers ill remember that I've just seen afew tc races on YouTube and saw BMW , Alfa , porsche but still very limited and some just look wrong lol ( ebay yellow mustang )

They are by far THE coolest on-road rcs.

Edit the links won't show the vids I don't know if you can copy and paste them.

Vid title to search YouTube if links won't work pasted.

1/5th RC DRIFT TEST

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=6g-B2wIbX1g ( 350z )

FG 1/5th Large Scale Carbon C6R Corvette Sony A77

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=f2BMNvLm8kw ( carbon vett )

I think you will like both shells and see the fg can drift pretty well with hardly any throttle lol.

Edited by wan2learn

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have a fg swb and would gladly drift it, i run a garage and experiment with different cleaning products and drift the workshop . Works well . I use my 1/10 stuff aswell but nothing comes close to the porsche. Woop woop bring on big scale drifting.

And ref the tyres.. Ive seen drive pulley systems that have rubber idlers that are solid. I paint my tyres in automotive plastic primer.. Its clear and lasts ok