• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

HPI Brushless Baja, Custom Carbon parts, MGM 15s ESC. 2028.

Highlander

Sorry for the first 4 pages pictures being deleted, The pictures start on Page 5 onwards of the build.

Having owned a petrol baja for about 16months now it came to the time i sold my beloved reed case engine.

But, its being replaced by a rather pretty sight too ;)

This is the start of my brushless 5B rebuild with the 2028 installed so far.

I have plans to create a one off battery mounting system and also a dual Rhino servo setup for steering.

Quick peak of the start atm!

llMhF.jpg

Edited by Highlander

nice one :)

cant wait to see how this comes together... dare i say 5 electric baja's at the jam?

or is it to far for you to travel?

Just ordered my MGM so it should arrive with me in a few weeks :)

Is that the innovative rear chassis plate?

Yea alot of upgrades, Some i already have from it being petrol and some new ones i will get along the way

Both front and rear chassis are new so those were the first upgrades, i have alot of upgrades here that just need dyed/anodized a different colour really since im switching colour scheme up a bit, going for a sort of stealth black with very slight bits of blue.

Not sure on wether to keep the stock shocks or to spend

apols mate, forgot it was a petrol conversion....

I too have drooled over the IRC Big bores - something for the future perhaps, when these are knackered - they are tough tho, no damage to the corner that went into the tree!!

MGM, very nice.....I do sort of regret not getting one but hey ho, the XL2 isn't that bad... :thumbsup: Keep spending, it is the only thing you can do with no regrets :yes: :yes: :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Few more parts arrived today! :)

Got my Innovative-RC pins, New hostile boots, Hostile 54T spur & a Kracken RC layshaft.

So the diff is all back together now :D although im still contemplating the idea of a Turtle Black alloy housing.

Coming along nicely....... the TR quick diff by any chance??? They look fantastic, and I'm kinda hoping I blow mine, just to give me an excuse to buy one....

You know you should really, it would almost be rude not to buy one really.....

What is different about the Kraken lay shaft?

layshaft will be cheaper than the slipper and lighter - the clutch weighs a fair bit and I'm not sure yet if it actually makes much difference

Check mine out at the Jam and have a spin with one, see what you think

sounds like a good plan :)

kracken layshaft, decent spur mount and brake hex isnt that much different in price to a slipper setup tho Jon.... And if the slipper removes some shock from the driveline as well... Its wIn wIn ;)

with an innovative plastic spur i doubt the slipper weighs that much more?

Edited by Bazzokajoe

It should soak up driveline shock, and I guess it survived the impact so maybe there's the answer :xd: re weight with a Hostile spur, possibly not, tho I've not modded one to fit mine yet.... The slipper is less noisy than I expected, for an all metal gear set up and it is still a thing of immense beauty :yes:

I wonder if Hostile would consider making spurs that are a direct fit with the slipper? Not sure if petrol owners use the slip[per much or not, but I feel there would be a market for them.....

What do you guys think about moving the batteries as far up front as possible? That would balance the weight a little more to the front seen as its all on the rear right?

Mine sit just behind the steering servo, padded out with the foam pads that all the gear came packed in, I then use a square corner of the foam from the motor packaging to tuck in between the lipos and the rear chassis rail (ie the one in front of the motor) - you can't get much further forward than that!

I would guess that Joe's has better balance being a shorty, as everything will be tucked in tight?

Not sure on that, gotta remember you don't have the weight of a two-stroker any more. Surely a reasonable amount of weight is necessary? But then maybe too much weight is causing us all to donut?

No mate, that's crappy bowties for you....vids uploading as I type.....the SC didn't donut once on Hostiles, and in fact got off the line better on stock rodeos, which I reckon is down to her being a fat lass, as opposed to the slender bird that is the B :xd: :xd: :xd:

i like my weight ballanced... With a slight forward bias...

Helps with on power steering as it combats the rear squat a little :)

as far as total weight actually goes there's not alot of difference between this and a 'real' baja.... Mine weighs just shy of 13kg's

as Jon says... Mines all tucked in tight and gives a happy f/r ballance :)

another plus with electric baja's... Constant weight ballance... You dont have to adapt to Changing handling as the fuel runs low :)