• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Everything Savage XS

.AJ.

So are there any success stories with the vapor pro esc? Because by the sounds of it folk have bought and paid good money for a rtr just to end up buying a sc8 esc???

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

I had mine from new right up till i sold it and the stock esc worked a treat.. Mind you if those dopes at HPI were to take a close look like i did they too my notice the problem is quite simple.. The stock ESC fan is pants and along with the fact the casing is a very tight fit allows no air flow hence no real cooling.. Results in them burning out .. Simple cheap and very affective way round the issue swap out the 25mm fan to a high air flow fan .. That's what i did and it was still going strong after around a 80 packs.. Mixture of 2s and 3s ..Made a huge difference and cheap as chips well almost

Mines been it bits loads, nearly every bearing has failed and needed replacing and ive had constant slipper problems, so it aint been plain sailing for me either :(

same here, I have never had an rc this unreliable!! Edited by Rcmoore

Here is my list of stuff that's failed:

ESC - smoked on 2S

Idler gear - stripped some teeth

Diff bearings - at least one appears to have been broken from the factory

Here is a list of what I have broken from bashing:

Drive axles

Front and rear uprights

Shock ends

Centre drive cups are getting quite worn and will need doing soon

Overall I'm OK with the reliability of the XS, apart from the ESC. I've not seen anything whereby HPI have acknowledged an issue with it despite virtually every owner I've seen having them die. I think that considering the power this little truck has it stands up pretty well to abuse.

I have had fail:

2 rear diff bearings

Standard esc

2 idler gears

1 drive gear

2 worn out diff input cup

1set of tranission cups

And I have just received my centre rear drive shaft that is now worn out.

Edited by Rcmoore

I don't like to see the lists of failed parts but I like not being alone in my wrenching, I lost a diff bearing and an input gear at the rhr bash, and one of my hr cvds failed although that was my fault for bodging a pin into it after it fell out the week before, I think we can all agree it's not the best kit reliability wise but I guess that's the trade off for whacking beefy electrics in small kits..

High flow fan? Where and how much?

This is the one i used you will need to mod the esc casing a little but well worth taking the time to do.. checkout my thread on here i'm sure its all in there (mydoddys xs)

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item3f1b985aec

Once you start using these fans then you like me will end up replacing all the ones you have there brilliant

Edited by mydoddy69

Oooh looks like just what i need! Thanks!

Just checked your other thread and it doesnt really mention how the fan was fit and pics not working for me.

Edited by naymo

Ooops sorry pics been deleted .. as for fitting its easy .. remove the esc from the truck .. Remove the outer casing off the esc (four little tabs under sticker on the side).. remove the old fan test fit the new and trim where needed .. i used a little mesh on top just to stop all the crap going in the new fan .. put it all back together and job done .. Most annoying thing was rethreading the wire back in the rx box ..God i hate that box works great but a PITA or what

Its been sold to darkangel so he might be able to post up some pics for you

Edited by mydoddy69

A.j is it the black combo you have? (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ezrun-RC-Car-truck-4000kv-4pole-Brushless-Motor-Combo-SC8-Waterproof-120A-ESC-/230801378989?pt=UK_ToysGames_RadioControlled_JN&hash=item35bcd58ead) i dont see why i cant give getting stuff aboard a try.. if it doesnt go well thats what paypal is for :)

Ooops sorry pics been deleted .. as for fitting its easy .. remove the esc from the truck .. Remove the outer casing off the esc (four little tabs under sticker on the side).. remove the old fan test fit the new and trim where needed .. i used a little mesh on top just to stop all the crap going in the new fan .. put it all back together and job done .. Most annoying thing was rethreading the wire back in the rx box ..God i hate that box works great but a PITA or what

Its been sold to darkangel so he might be able to post up some pics for you

Sounds like a solid mod. I must admit though, the stock motor is pretty amp hungry - it gives even my MMP a work out!

What do you think can this noise be?

He only appears with Dogbones disconnected the engine ... some bearing? that place?

I've opened up the differential and has no problem with the gears ... all are good.

Looks to me like you need some diff oil inside the diff ;-) mine was doing the same

What do you think can this noise be?

He only appears with Dogbones disconnected the engine ... some bearing? that place?

I've opened up the differential and has no problem with the gears ... all are good.

the mesh of the diff crown and pinion? i know a few people have had to add shims under the diff pinion to get them to mesh properly :(

Edited by .AJ.

Looks to me like you need some diff oil inside the diff ;-) mine was doing the same

the mesh of the diff crown and pinion? i know a few people have had to add shims under the diff pinion to get them to mesh properly :(

Someone uses oil in diff? What it has now is a bit of grease ... :)

I do not know, but it seems to me that yes, the crown and pinion are good, and touching. Because on the engine works fine ...

Yup, or you could just take the rubber grommet out altogether. If you want to keep a degree of waterproofing then a wad of BluTak will work just as well but is soooooo much easier to use.

Does anyone use the wheely bar and how does it hold up?

wheelie bar is just fine mate, no problems here..

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2