• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Radio Gear Help Please :)

foobar

Hi all.

I've messed about with nitro cars but too much faffing persuaded me to buy a baja 5b. I bought a second hand one and its an older one that did not come with 2.4ghz radio gear. In the past the FM stuff has always been fine for me but the few times I have been out with the baja I noted that it glitches quite a lot (sat idle and getting random steering and throttle movements) and its a hell of a machine to have it going beserk. I fitted a 3rd channel failsafe but I guess I really ought to switch to 2.4ghz.

I really dont know too much about the 2.4ghz stuff and as I dont race or anything I really don't need loads of fancy features... hell, other than trim adjustment I really dont understand what most of the features are and why I would need them anyway. What I need is something reliable with 3 channels and good range that doesnt break the bank. I looked at the Spektrum DX3C package which comes with an SR300 receiver but I also read somewhere thaqt spektrum kit is overpriced and also some complaints about range with this package. Just after some recommendations from people here with experience in this area.

Thanks in advance

fb

alot of folks on here recommend flysky tx/rx, mean't to be pretty decent for the money, i'd recommend using your 3rd channel with a engine killswitch as anyone on this forum would advise, you could look at the killer rc products such as a superbee switch which are around

I've almost always used 40meg with any problems and as fewer people use it these days there are even less frequency clashes these days. I would go for the Futaba 3pk which is probably the best radio available.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Futaba-3pk-Transmitter-/140766364386?pt=UK_ToysGames_RadioControlled_JN&hash=item20c65442e2

This is the one I mean although I think this is a touch over priced as a starting price.

I've almost always used 40meg without any problems and as fewer people use it these days there are even less frequency clashes these days. I would go for the Futaba 3pk which is probably the best radio available.

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item20c65442e2

This is the one I mean although I think this is a touch over priced as a starting price.

i'd recommend using your 3rd channel with a engine killswitch as anyone on this forum would advise, you could look at the killer rc products such as a superbee switch which are around

I've almost always used 40meg with any problems and as fewer people use it these days there are even less frequency clashes these days. I would go for the Futaba 3pk which is probably the best radio available.

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item20c65442e2

I might look into that but surely 2.4ghz should be more reliable out in the open?

I might look into that but surely 2.4ghz should be more reliable out in the open?

There are a lot of issues on the current going through the reciever when you load the system up i.e using the brakes on full and full lock on steering, they overheat and the failsafe kicks in or glitches.

The 1024 pcm recievers are almost bullet proof and if kept in a balloon they'll be happy if there is any rain about.

I have fitted a killswitch, none of the ones you listed but in essence they should all function equally as well, its only a relay after all. I've not tried it yet as stillw aiting on bits.

I still want a failsafe too though, a third channel killswitch as you rightly say cuts the spark but I'd also like the comfort of the brakes being slammed on :)

There's a little more to a kill switch than a relay!

Most 2.4ghz sets including the flysky fs-gt3b come with a failsafe built in to the receiver. It makes sense to use it in conjunction with your kill switch.

Edited by Jolly_roger_uk

There's a little more to a kill switch than a relay!

Most 2.4ghz sets including the flysky fs-gt3b come with a failsafe built in to the receiver. It makes sense to use it in conjunction with your kill switch.

I apologise if I am mistaken but I figured it was a small relay switching to break the spark circuit?

The fs-gt3b seems awfully cheap, is it really any good? Does it suffer from the overheating problem that Mike1970 talks about. Its all quite confusing to a beginner, with radio geat ranging from

alot of folks on here recommend flysky tx/rx, mean't to be pretty decent for the money, i'd recommend using your 3rd channel with a engine killswitch as anyone on this forum would advise, you could look at the killer rc products such as a superbee switch which are around

Killer rc im trying to purchase one of your kits but the checkout button doesnt work. Are they good to use with spektrum dx3s?

Been offered a Sanwa M11 40Mhz for not much money at all, anyone have opinions on these?

I have to get a replacement because something is buggered, its impossible to hold full throttle once the car gets over about 3 meters away, the throttle is coming off and back on all the time and some crazy steering all on ts own which is just not funnd. Its fine when its right in front of me though so something wrong with the transmitter or receiver I guess.