• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

please help

misfit74

hper (ofna) .18 in a 10sc

I just cant get the needles right and im going through fuel too quickly and cant get a basic tune/run in

Ive done the searching and watched the vids etc but all i get is a lumpy idle that cuts out. Sometimes when i adjust the needles i get a weird clicking noise as if its bottoming out on something, also when i release the throttle the carb doesnt return fully which i think is the idle screw.

Please help as this is winding me up!! does anyone know the default settings for this or have one and can help me out?

Thanks in advance

I just wanna go for a spin NOT spend half an hour perfecting my pull starter rythmn :)

First of all set you idle screw so there is a 1mm gap when the carb is closed, as for base settings, try google :). When you say lumpy idle, do the revs ever increase of their own accord when the engine is idling?

Dom

Revs never increase no. Spits quite a bit out of the exhaust and no sooner do i remove starter it chug chug chugs and dies. If i even attempt to trim the idle or give it gentle throttle it dies.

Glow plug is ok

Not flooded

HSN - 4 turns out as per ofna/google etc, tried leaner too

LSN - flush with ball end as per ofna/google

Idle - 1 to 1.5 mm gap which returns ok and stays open with braking.

I cant get an idle for 30secs to a min to even think about leaning hsn.

Also tried without air filter to make sure its not being choked.

Hope someone can help cos this is doing my head in! :D

Cheers mr pie. I'll give that a go, i should be enjoying this not letting it wind me up!

this is part of the hobby mate, u need to know how theres engines run and what to do in regards of tuning, no 1 was an expert from day 1, we all started at the bottem as u are finding out. always play/tune the HSN first tho as long as it runs with high rop, u can then adjust the LSN but i will say this, the LSN isnt so forgiving and much tricker to lern how to tune.

I guess i was just hoping that by getting the settings as factory as possible it would run so i could start to learn the tuning thing. I guess the first step is always the hardest eh.

Dont get me wrong i do enjoy it, my old traxxas is running ok, just dont like that little smug giggle from my engine everytime i walk away to rethink :D

Heard these hyper 18s can be a bitch so only myself to blame :)

appreciate the words of encouragement though cheers! :)

For tuning always start with HSN, then LSN, but, sounds like you talking about first tune after break in (don't rush the break in bud, it's worth being patient). Sometimes the break in settings for the LSN are a little too rich to pull away so you might have to lean out the LSN a touch first just to get to the point where the thing pulls away without bogging and stalling. But really only do it a touch, it should still b a bit boggy to start, just lean enough so you can get moving and up to wot so u can set the HSN. Then adjust HSN, then return to LSN once HSN is set.

Oh, and NEVER run without the air filter on. Not even for a very short period as a test. It only takes one bit of grit to get sucked into your carb to bugger the piston liner.

I should note this is a second hand rig.. Just thought id try and take it back to the start so i knew it was all ok. Im also confident its not goosed :)

Im gratefull for all this advice guys, i will suss the little bugger and there will be much dancing and vid uploading when i do!

This msn needle is a bit of a mystery too, do not touch! Do not adjust! We wont tell you anything about it! Shhh its a secret needle, ffs why put it there in the first place then! :D

MSN alters the point at which the LSN fully clears the spray bar, and basically the point at which the HSN takes over control of the fuel flow. There is a small rush of nitro entering the engine at this point, and the MSN can be adjusted (in conjunction with the LSN being turned the same number of turns in the opposite direction to maintain the actual gap you have set for the LSN) to adjust when this happens. It's used by racers looking to fine tune the acceleration of their car to the nth degree, sometimes to suit the particular track they're running on. It's not needed for general tuning really, it doesn't lean or richen the mixture like the HSN and LSN do.

Unless you race, or are a true nitro nerd (not an insult!), you don't really need to touch it.

People do make out its the end of the world if you screw with it though, which is a bit of scaremongering I think. It's not that hard to reset it back to factory and retune if you do.

I'd just leave MSN be, especially if you're just bashing.

Cheers rich, you can be sure i'll be leaving that needle well alone till i level up considerably :)

Think im actually getting somewhere!

Idles ok and can get it moving with lots coming out of the exhaust. With an unresponsive throttle it oftens stalls try to accelerate, if i get through the bog it picks up pretty quickly.

Currently i think im too rich on the hsn and too lean on the lsn :D

Ran out of fuel now though so will have to get my order in with MS..

• Like 1

Hard to say without seeing/hearing, but if you say it's a bit boggy on acceleration, then at higher speeds it clears out and is ok, I'd say that sounds like LSN a bit rich rather than lean.

Now you can get up to speed though, leave LSN alone until you got HSN set for top speed and good smoke, then go to the LSN and sort out the groggy acceleration - or when you got more fuel anyway.

Good luck mate - sounds like you only a tank away from sorting it.

• 2 weeks later...

Actually getting somewhere and managed to get out for a decent run. Carb was sticking a bit so had to sort that and not too sure but could have a compression issue so off to hunt for the guides to sort that.

Thanks for everyones input to keep me going! it worked :D