• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Making Cheap Strong Basher Shock Towers For Hyper 7

GorillaZilla

Wouldn't mind a link when youv'e got it up. Always like a good Extreme bashing video. Especially if theres info on what mods the owners did to make their vehicles stand up to the beating shown on film :yes:

Bonus points if they were cheap N easy :whistling:

Edited by GorillaZilla

Wouldn't mind a link when youv'e got it up. Always like a good Extreme bashing video. Especially if theres info on what mods the owners did to make their vehicles stand up to the beating shown on film :yes:

Bonus points if they were cheap N easy :whistling:

first link to todays bash - longer video to follow

longer video link

Edited by masa69

Going to watch that vid in a Second, But heres the First Cad image of the Towers that AshleySmith has been hard at work on.

The Concept of Simple, Strong, Cheap and quick to manufacture in bulk is on track. The Tower will be 6mm Thick. Twice the original thickness. Still deciding on the Exact material. The Holes for the screws and where the wing mount passes through are not there yet but you get the idea :-)

hyper7frontshockmount.jpg

Edited by GorillaZilla

Well as soon as they sorted let me no as we do stuff like in that in the video masa69 posted for me every week when were out and i like to try and brake my hyper the mac 28 in the above vid and its always the same stuff shock towers and center drive shafts even though has ali braces and extra braces also snapt my first eva rear arm at the week end off a bad 60foot straigh up jump and la ded richt on rear wheel

Once the Shocktowers are done....

Who knows, I'm going to see whats involved in modding a Hyper 7's chassis braces to be able to accept the Hyper ST pro's Center Chassis Brace.

As the Hyper ST and hyper 7 are virtually the Same vehicle under the skin, As they Share the Exact same gearbox housing, Which everything bolts onto.

Just the ST has a longer chassis and center drive shafts with different chassis braces, Longer A-Arms ect...

I already have a Hyper 7 And a Hyper ST pro, So I can Experiment with mixxing and matching the parts.

I know for certain you can make an extended hyper 7 with the Hyper ST pro chassis (just the shell fitting changes due to the longer length), The Center Diff plate, the ST pro center driveshafts. And the Hyper ST pro Chassis braces, Might need the Front top plate too.

I'll take both cars to bits at some point and have a good old FrankenCar style exploration of what is possible with which parts...

Having a few Hyper variants together in bits is like having a sort of epic RC Lego kit....

(Could have a Car which is a Hyper 7 at one end with buggy A-Arms and wheels.... And Hyper ST at the other with Truggy A-Arms and wheels.... a True frankenstein's monster (Might have to mess around with the differential ratios by using different ring gears and pinions, to keep the gearing the same at both ends, either that or use the same wheels all round, either buggy or truggy)

gallery8.jpg

That would solve the broken Drive shaft's from excess chassis flex issue :-)

If it needed new chassis braces for compatibilty with the already existing Center diff brace, They would be simple to make too, from 6061, 6082 or 7075 aluminum plate....

A project for another day ;-)

Edited by GorillaZilla

In theory, another way to do it, would be to copy the Hyper ST pro's Center Brace plate, Then shorten the ends of the plate in CAD to allow the ends of the Chassis braces to come in closer towards the center of the chassis to compensate for the Buggies shorter chassis plate.

Then A couple of holes drilled in the Chassis plate for each Chassis Brace.

The Hyper 7/8/ST all use the same center diff mount Holes spacing as far as I know, I'm using A Hyper 8 Center Diff mount on my Hyper 7 For more compatibility for the Hyper 8 conversion kit motor mounts.

Edited by GorillaZilla

after lineing them up against each other they are very very simler, there are only a few holes that are a few mm out ill get some pics up later to show you, but the ansmann ones are about 1-2 mm thicker than the standard hyper ones

after lineing them up against each other they are very very simler, there are only a few holes that are a few mm out ill get some pics up later to show you, but the ansmann ones are about 1-2 mm thicker than the standard hyper ones

On my 2012 hyper 7 I currently using ansmann front shock tower and hyper 7.5 rear shock tower (both utilise the 2 extra mounting holes on diff casing) They seemed to have stopped me cracking the diff casings after a bad landing but they still get bent out of shape (just remove them and hammer them flat again)

if you use the ansmann shock towers the 2 extra lower mounting holes dont align with the ones in the plastic diff case. Either drill them a few mm larger or dont use the extra mounting holes. They are definately a lot thicker material than the Hobao ones

first link to todays bash - longer video to follow

longer video link

[media=]

Those are some dang high jumps, Looked like good control in the air too for the most part :good:

I love the way you show any breakages after each jump or incident, Gives a good picture of what breaks, and what it takes to break it :yes:

Could do with watching hours of bashing video like that, making note of all the breakages, and how they happened.

Gives something to work around when thinking of ways to strengthen or protect the weak points...

Edited by GorillaZilla

Anyhow mine was the mac 28 hyper with the yellow and blackshell with the black wheels one of the first hypers in the vids trying the jumps out also had some funny landings when the wind got hold of them also you like the full speed smashing into the iron fenc at the endish of the vid

Yeah, I noticed that.....

When the chassis bends, Where does it bend? Does it bend where the Slot is in the Chassis where the Center Spur is?

That area could be reinforced just by cutting a Hyper ST center chassis brace plate down with a Dremel so it doesn't interfere with the stock and CNC hyper 7 chassis braces...

Edited by GorillaZilla