• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

FTX Vantage/Carnage owners Thread

52 minutes ago, Jamil237237 said:

By weaknesses he means basically every gear in this RC. Litterally every gear in this RC will break under speed. This RC really needs new gears for it, it actually needs replacements. That or we are all dumb and missing something.

Anyone ever used the front and rear full setups of a BSD racing truck?,  ran my lad runs his on a 160 ESC and 4300kv motor and it's never broke any diffs...uses a central spool instead of centre diff...BSD comes from feishen factory like all these ftx (and several other marques) do...

1 hour ago, Nickarla said:

I have one of those Power HD 20kg servos. While there is nothing wrong with it I didn’t notice much difference over the standard one. I don’t think that this is due to the servo itself, more the poor quality steering set up. The places where the ackerman connect to the steering arms and servo is very sloppy. The best servo in the world won’t improve this.

Yeah I get what you're saying there...but the BSD trucks also have ridiculously sloppy steering setups...so much so i just epoxy locked the servo saver together when I Frankensteined it...I also reset steering post position which helps too...this helped to utilise a better servo

4 hours ago, Fly In My Soup said:

Off the cuff .. I'd suggest looking on eBay for used but working servos.

You can pick up blue bird servos for dirt cheap and they're great quality... If your on a budget that is...I got one recently for £6 odd

If you've got a decent budget for the servo then I'd go for a brushless servo..anything rated 6+kg will be more than enough...that may sound low amount of kg torque...but if it's a decent high end 1/10 servo from a reputable manufacturer then they don't tend to exaggerate their spec ratings ....

A lot of people rate those '20kg power hd' branded servos but I've never tried them...

I tend to pick up the high end stuff used so I save heaps on RRP, often 70-80%

One last thing I would say.....don't overspec your servo....unlike an ESC where it's better to overspec for application in almost all circumstances....a servo is a crucial part of how your rig handles....

Many years ago I followed the 'get the highest spec you can for everything' motto, including servos, and I found if you're servo is too fast and too higher torque it can ruin the driving experience...as when the servo goes from full lock to full lock other way in 0.whatever seconds it creates a feeling of constant over correction that's not entirely noticeable until you get to higher speeds in open areas.....

Yes you can abate this somewhat by using a programmable transmitter and ESC to tame the servos EPA settings but they still can't controll servo speed (unless you've got a £400+ transmitter...) 

Guess what I'm trying to say is...don't go crazy on a servo...just go for something 6+kg rated that isn't lightning fast

Yes I thinking that if my servo was to fast I could potentially f the whole thing up il have a look on ebay and also have a look at the other brands mentioned too, appreciate all the help ?

4 hours ago, Nickarla said:

If you want quicker than a standard brushless set up on 2s and 18t pinion on Bugsta wheels then I suggest buying a Hobao truggy. Going faster will expose its weaknesses very quickly.

What model would you recommend with the hobao? Might have a look... 

31 minutes ago, Frankie said:

What model would you recommend with the hobao? Might have a look... 

See with a 1/8 truggy..you'll need more expensive hardware...you'll not get much change out of £200+ for a decent 1/8 motor combo....I paid that for used ESC and 1/8 motor combos...let alone new stuff.

Then there's everything else...no rc is perfect and even £800+ comp spec truggies need additional parts to iron out niggles/flaws which are often more expensive than 1/10 parts by a large margin....

Oh and 2s is not for 1/8 truggies, you'll need at least 4s...then inevitably 6s (2x3s decent batteries)

Not trying to discourage you.....1/8 truggies are the ultimate bashers IMO..... Alas....with great fun...comes not so great prices

My ultimate would be a Hobao ST Pro brushless. Unfortunately they only come in nitro so you then need to covert. As fly says it gets expensive but if you want to go faster than a brushless Carnage truggy on 2s the it will get expensive. A Hobao Hyper 7 buggy can be had for £100 ish second hand but then the electrics are what costs, typically £150 for a HobbyWing Max8 but that combo would be seriously fast and considerably tougher than a Carnage.

• Like 1

I've just ordered a T-Bone Racing front bumper for mine.

There's an offer on their website at the moment saying that you can get free postage if you register.

I didn't expect it to work for the UK but it seems to have done. It was the $22 postage that had put me off previously - the bumper itself is only about six quid!

http://7tju.mjt.lu/nl2/7tju/11gs.html?m=AM0AAB6elzYAAAAuRqAAAAUNY9oAAAAy4DgAAGLMAArtbwBb5lZgV19V1e8fT4GMMuIkkSvWfgAK3Kw&b=01453f06&e=3dd73026&x=2E1ELkcQgSpIq5Xe7QrvZKl-p7aq5JNIfFOhWuCAd-o

https://tboneracing.net/products/20000-tbr-basher-front-bumper-ftx-carnage-truggy

21 hours ago, Nickarla said:

I’m sure it works well but for me it’s just too ugly.

There's no denying that!.
'Function' rather than 'form' I think.

My problem is that I'm a bit of a terrible driver and there's not a lot of chassis left for me to attach the standard bumper to (and it's not that long ago that I replaced the chassis).

I see that the T-bone bumper fits to the front gearbox screws. I reckon that I'll snap the chassis again following my first smash!

My Firebolt 15T 540 motor has got too hot and died on me. Deciding whether to spend the money and upgrade to a brushless. Its however just had a brand new Hobbywing 1060 ECS controler put in (for free under warranty). I presume if I go brushless I'll have to go LiPo as well? Could make it a bit expensive vs spend £10 on another motor

Any suggestions - just looking for something not too expensive and reliable?

thanks

1 minute ago, gc100 said:

My Firebolt 15T 540 motor has got too hot and died on me. Deciding whether to spend the money and upgrade to a brushless. Its however just had a brand new Hobbywing 1060 ECS controler put in (for free under warranty). I presume if I go brushless I'll have to go LiPo as well? Could make it a bit expensive vs spend £10 on another motor

thanks

I would suggest picking up some used brushed motors from ebay.... I used to have loads of fun buying old lots of brushed motors off ebay and fitting all of them In turn to see which I liked... You can pick up joblots for less than a tenner, swap them out in few minutes and you're not really fussed if you wreck one, or 2 of them...

Would be cheapest option for you.

Remember, you just like brushless... The lower the turn the faster it is... Look for double wound vintage stuff... Eg. I Yokomo 13x2 are fairly good 

Going off the subject guys, my ftx carnage brushless might be up for sale as I want something with a bit more strength and power, I just would like someone to value it as I don't have a clue what to sell it for.

I have spent the guts of £200 upgrading it specs below or maybe more haven't counted it properly.

Overlander 5300mah 2s 7.4 battery 55c

80a hobbyking esc

Aluminium knuckle arms

All new dog bones 

New hinge pins replaced

Aluminium steering ackerman 

New bumper

Steering arms replaced

Aluminium steering arms

New green bugsta shell hasn't been used and I have coated in dusty motors. 

New bugsta wheels and tyres. 

New spur gear

New pinion gear 

New aluminium wheel hubs

Aluminium Front Suspension holder

Re-greased diffs with vp Pro black

grease. 

New body posts

Spare 3500mah 2s battery 

Has stock brushless motor 10.0T 

Also spare brand new plastic chassis still packaged as spare

I didn't need to replace those parts and all the old spares are in a box undamaged so can be used as spares. 

I want to sell the car, could someone suggest a selling price? 

If admin want to move this post I understand as just didn't know what part of forum to put it in. 

Thanks 

Frankie 

Edited by Frankie
Needed a photo

6 hours ago, gc100 said:

thanks

You could go a mix in-between. Look for a cheap brushless combo. Super cheap one. If it breaks it breaks I guess.

I am not liable for any fires or any regrets. I have never tried a cheap brushless setup. Why was the hobbywing one so expensive?

I got a dumb trick that might work. In the old of pcs, heavier power supplies meant better quality components. Could a heavier ESC mean better components too? I dunno. ESC and PSU both regulate power so I'd guess so?

1 hour ago, Nickarla said:

How are you getting on with your Hobbywing Jamil?

Haven't used my RC, in a too lazy to go outside period. 

21teeth isn't too much. Motor doesn't get too hot. ESC I can't measure temps because of the nature of it. I think at times the hottest thing on my RC is actually the servo. Yes, the servo.

The combo has me confused. That's my first motor and ESC combo. The motor I've opened up and inspected, it's fine I guess? As for the ESC, I glued it with hot glue after its fallen off. I think there's a built in feature that prevents full throttle usage as when I go in reverse, the tires instantly slip. But if I go forward, it doesn't as easily.

I sometimes wonder if I'd get the same performance out of that cheap set I got. As some brands do overcharge because they can. Cough cough Nvidia, intel, beats and those Chinese GPU vendors. The unboxing was premium and makes me wonder, out of 100 pounds. How much went towards packaging?

3 hours ago, Jamil237237 said:

Haven't used my RC, in a too lazy to go outside period. 

21teeth isn't too much. Motor doesn't get too hot. ESC I can't measure temps because of the nature of it. I think at times the hottest thing on my RC is actually the servo. Yes, the servo.

The combo has me confused. That's my first motor and ESC combo. The motor I've opened up and inspected, it's fine I guess? As for the ESC, I glued it with hot glue after its fallen off. I think there's a built in feature that prevents full throttle usage as when I go in reverse, the tires instantly slip. But if I go forward, it doesn't as easily.

I sometimes wonder if I'd get the same performance out of that cheap set I got. As some brands do overcharge because they can. Cough cough Nvidia, intel, beats and those Chinese GPU vendors. The unboxing was premium and makes me wonder, out of 100 pounds. How much went towards packaging?

Which HW was it?

3 hours ago, Jamil237237 said:

I think there's a built in feature that prevents full throttle usage as when I go in reverse, the tires instantly slip. But if I go forward, it doesn't as easily.

What do you mean the tyres slip? Is reverse faster than forwards? Have you tried reversing some of the esc to motor cables?

6 minutes ago, Fly In My Soup said:

Which HW was it?

Hw? Uh. Let me pull some random things outta my butt.

Mod is 0.6.

Stock spur (as in teeth. No way the one that came would last this long)

Pinion is a cheap one made by some company called crazypony or something? Can't remember. Got gears with teeth from 18-23.

10 hours ago, Nickarla said:

What do you mean the tyres slip? Is reverse faster than forwards? Have you tried reversing some of the esc to motor cables?

Foward is faster than reverse.  I'll check next time just in case. Wait no, foward is clearly faster than reverse. Every time I flip, I full throttle for a laugh. The tires balloon up a lot. More compared to reverse. I will check just in case . Also I can't remember which goes to which. Mine is set up so a goes to c. B goes to b, and c goes to a.

6 minutes ago, Nickarla said:

Oh shiz nips. I meant at the start. I didn't mean the top ends blocked off. I meant it's blocked off at launch. As if there's some form of launch control. 

2 minutes ago, Jamil237237 said:

Hw? Uh. Let me pull some random things outta my butt.

Mod is 0.6.

Stock spur (as in teeth. No way the one that came would last this long)

Pinion is a cheap one made by some company called crazypony or something? Can't remember. Got gears with teeth from 18-23.

I think he means it’s the HobbyWing max10 3652. Do you have the 3300kv or the 4000kv?

5 minutes ago, Jamil237237 said:

Oh shiz nips. I meant at the start. I didn't mean the top ends blocked off. I meant it's blocked off at launch. As if there's some form of launch control. 

Somethings not right. Have you changed the cables around?

Mine is the 3300kv and even that is as fast as I would want on a Bugsta.

I think it is very well made as I have driven it hard through tall grass using back to back 6000mah 2s lipos, no overheating. I’ve dropped into a river with it still on, no issues. It wheelies like a teenager on a bike showing off to his mates. It’s been solid. 

Ive used cheaper FTX esc/motors and they don’t compare. Driving them hard they cut out, they use more battery power/less efficient and have died completely on me.

Hobbywing for me is worth the little extra.

Edited by Nickarla
  • Like 1