• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

FTX Vantage/Carnage owners Thread

On ‎25‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 09:10, 300bhp/ton said:

These will fit. So anything of similar size will be fine. 

The one you linked might be a little long. 

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/nano-tech-4200mah-2s-25c-hardcase.html

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-5200mah-2s-30c-hard-case-car-lipo-pack-roar-approved.html

The battery tray on a Carnage is 145x52x26 mm (L, W, H). 

I need to order the batteries tonight as I'm doing an order for my brother in law's sons birthday. Unfortunately that rules out EU shipping. I've measured a flush fit of the battery tray to be

142(l)x44(d)x28(h) and was looking at the following batteries:

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/zippy-6000mah-2s2p-35c-hardcase-pack.html

or 

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/zippy-flightmax-5200mah-2s2p-30c-hardcase-pack-roar-approved-de.html

Would they both fit as the top deck could foul the cables sticking up on the first one and the central post could do the same for the second one?

52 minutes ago, sullie said:

I finally ordered the replacement front shocks after I damaged them and just saw that the from gear box is cracked. When i take it apart is everything inside going to fall apart or is it pretty secure in there?

It shouldn’t just fall apart. But all the bits will come out. There is an exploded diagram in the manual that shows all the bits. 

Just note which way the diffs are. The crown wheel sits on one side of the pinion. If you flip the diff 180 degrees it will rotate in the opposite direction.

It’s all pretty easy and obvious when you do it. 

Hi I’m looking for some advice please. I have a brushless bugsta and a brushed both bought second hand on eBay - the brushed for my 10 yr old son and the brushless for me when I started getting jealous! The Nimh battery packs that came with the brushed were rubbish and on the way out i think so we started using the Lipos from the brushless in the brushed car as well (was awesome!) I read a load of threads on here and bought and used one of those LED/alarm things which go on the balance cables on the battery so we didn’t let them get too low. The brushed has recently started going slowly and now totally stopped. I read that the lipos might kill the ESC and decided it was a risk worth taking and we will replace if necessary, so I guess that’s where we are at now. My questions are;

1 is it possible to test the speed controller to make sure it is that that’s knackered before I buy a new one?

2 could it be anything else obvious? Steering etc still works but it won’t go forwards or backwards and is definitely electrical or control issue not mechanical

3 if I get a new ESC to use with the lipos do I have to uprate the standard motor or will the old one be ok?

many thanks

Sorry I can’t figure out how to delete the whole post but please ignore - the ESC doesn’t even play the tune when it starts up anymore so ordered a new one.

Edited by Charlie007

Hi recently purchased a ftx carnage, I believe it's the latest version, according to the box it's meant to have a waterproof receiver in it, mine came with this one. I looked it up and it mentions nothing about being waterproof. Anybody know otherwise?  Don't want to fry my new toy. This is my first electric model, have had a few nitro ones in the past. Thankyou.

IMAG0889.jpg

I think there’s a lot of old instructions that need updating. For example, the manual still says that lipos will cause the esc to fail even though the esc can take lipos if you set it correctly as per the additional instructions supplied. 

I would go off what the box says as that’s what it’s advertised as. If it fries then you have every right to take it back. From the many YouTube videos I’ve seen in deep water I don’t think there’s much to worry about, although I’ve not tried it yet with mine.

Edited by Nickarla
The joys of predictive text.
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the replies, it is really handy being able to rinse everything off after a drive. My other rc is a 10yr old+ revo 2.5 and none of that is waterproof lol, need a new piston/sleeve in that one won't run after 10mins of use. Got the carnage as my first ever electric model, bit of a learning curve with the lipos, gearing etc but a lot easier to just get out and use than nitro so far and most of the info I could ever need is in this thread. Cheers

3000kv vs 3520kv :box:

With a morning researching not getting me very far Im opening this out. 

3520kv

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-trackstar-waterproof-1-10-brushless-power-system-3520kv-80a.html

vs

3000kv

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-trackstar-waterproof-1-10-brushless-power-system-3000kv-80a.html

I did look at spending more on the Hobbywing set up until I read that it only has a 180 day warranty. I lost interest quickly with that when £90 is at stake.

I mainly use it in the woods with mini jumps and quite a bit of off road terrain. For this reason I am leaning more towards the 3000kv for the improved torque but the motor is 21t...would it actually be slower than the 15t brushed? Would the 3520kv be more suited to the Bugsta?

Would there be much real world difference? Could the 3000kv with 2s lipos be a capable performer in the woods while keeping a 3s lipo for the odd tarmac run give the best of both worlds?

I'm interested in people's thoughts on this too. I'm looking to upgrade my brushed HPI E-Firestorm to brushless and was looking at 3500KV-4000KV.

I don't want it pulling endless wheelies every time I pull the trigger as it seems pointless not being able to steer the thing. I was also looking at the Hobbywing Combos and wondered if they were worth the extra cash over GoolRC or Turnigy Combos.

I basically want it a little faster top end, a little faster acceleration and a little increase in torque. All powered by 2S LiPos.

The Hobbyking Turnigy brushless systems have increased in price since I last posted making them, in my mind, too expensive. I have spoken to Modelsports who have gave me a very convincing argument as to why I should go for the Hobbywing so am back considering the 3300kv which I think is about right.

The Hobbyking Turnigy brushless systems have increased in price since I last posted making them, in my mind, too expensive. I have spoken to Modelsports who have gave me a very convincing argument as to why I should go for the Hobbywing so am back considering the 3300kv which I think is about right.
So what was the convincing argument?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

They said that the quality was a real step up from the standard brushless Etronix system (which is good enough as it is). High reliability levels and if it does go pop after 180 days they would sort something out and assured me that I wouldn't be left without a system. The guy (Dave) spent ages on the phone discussing various options, gearing, suitability and was very helpful.

Edited by Nickarla

They said that the quality was a real step up from the standard brushed Etronix system (which is good enough as it is). High reliability levels and if it does go pop after 180 days they would sort something out and assured me that I wouldn't be left without a system. The guy (Dave) spent ages on the phone discussing various options, gearing, suitability and was very helpful.
Thanks. Food for thought.

There are also suggestions made that the HobbyWing has very good low cogging, which particularly appeals, although I have no experience of either motors so can’t say for sure.

Edited by Nickarla

Our neighbour's little lad has just taken delivery of his new Brushless Carnage. Got to say I'm impressed. Not just with the speed but the braking too. It stops dead and turns on a sixpence. And the build quality looks good too.

For info it has an Etronix Motor fitted. It's very quick. Will have to put the Lipos in my boys' brushed E-Firestorms so they have half a chance of keeping up.

Edited by BoutTime

The best way forward in my mind is to buy a brushed FTX Carnage/Bugsta from Timetunnelmodels with the battery/charger delete as the standard ones are terrible. You get a new car for ninety five pounds then add the Etronix brushless for seventy pounds. You end up with the car with a twenty five pound saving and a brushed and brushless system. Sell the brushed and get some money back. 

Equally go a better Hobbywing system or cheap Turnigy system, whatever suits your budget.

• Like 1

On ‎04‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 21:57, BoutTime said:

Thanks. Food for thought.

Sorry BoutTime, I meant "a real step up from the standard brushless Etronix system".

The best way forward in my mind is to buy a brushed FTX Carnage/Bugsta from Timetunnelmodels with the battery/charger delete as the standard ones are terrible. You get a new car for ninety five pounds then add the Etronix brushless for seventy pounds. You end up with the car with a twenty five pound saving and a brushed and brushless system. Sell the brushed and get some money back. 

Equally go a better Hobbywing system or cheap Turnigy system, whatever suits your budget.
I didn't realise you could get these with the battery and charger delete. £95 is a steal when you can get a fairly decent brushless combo for £45.