• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

FTX Vantage/Carnage owners Thread

Both rear as ones slightly bent and also after I placed order one of the front ones is wonky as well so placed another order now :) fingers crossed for
Next weekend it will be up and running, think you have to see the tinkering and taking apart and reassembling as part of the fun of ownership otherwise it would just be annoying :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, Spagoli said:

Both rear as ones slightly bent and also after I placed order one of the front ones is wonky as well so placed another order now :) fingers crossed for
Next weekend it will be up and running, think you have to see the tinkering and taking apart and reassembling as part of the fun of ownership otherwise it would just be annoying :)

The rears are commonly known as "Dog Bones".

The rears are commonly known as "Dog Bones".

Mine are dog gone! Wonder if one going caused the rest to strain I noticed the turning wasn't as good as it had been and needed quite a big circle the one way and wheels stopped even though servo moved a bit more think the bent arm was just at full stretch already. Still looking forward to fixing it again :) any tips if you strip the thread from the plastic i.e. Tighten and it just spins, can u just use a thicker thread ?

1 hour ago, Spagoli said:

Im struggling to see where end of sway bars attaché loads of pics of where the go across body but not ends, any ideas?

https://goo.gl/images/KQ2g55

https://goo.gl/images/ShCxWv

Edited by chewbacca

1 minute ago, Spagoli said:

Cheers so obvious now but I spent ages trying every other place lol hope it makes a diff replaces the cvd and both dog bones and fitted a little meter for the battery can't wait for the weekend

Google is your friend my friend :yes:

• Like 1

Anyone tried to programme the Photon 2.1w manually, don't want to really want to buy card just to use once really. Not sure if it's possible can't find manuals online http://www.etronix-rc.com/manuals/ET0405-0408.pdf is for a different one so don't want to ruin something. Off out in a bit to brake another component wonder what today's will be :) I'm going for another dog bone :)

Just got my 5 year old one of these for his birthday as he loves vest clothes cars and got him one of these rather than a toy one so we could fix it if need be 3rd time out and he's broken the front suspension holder and pin! Pleased I only bought him a brushed one.

Jon

• Like 1

That's better than ive done, today was first time I've taken it out and not broke something! Flipped a few times ran into the back of another car and a bike but wow it's all in one piece, feel a little like I wasn't trying hard enough :)

Had my Vantage now for a few days now, I have to say I am shocked at how fast it is, especially running on 3s batteries!! I have no regrets moving from nitro. 

I've noticed a few people advising a battery charger upgrade, can I ask what is wrong with the standard one that comes with the Vantage? It seems to do what I need it to.

Also guys, I have noticed most of Hobbyking lipo batteries seem to come with bullet style connectors rather than deans, what is the best method of conversion, is there a conversion cable or is it just a case of soldering?

Many thanks, Jim

47 minutes ago, xaote said:

Had my Vantage now for a few days now, I have to say I am shocked at how fast it is, especially running on 3s batteries!! I have no regrets moving from nitro. 

I've noticed a few people advising a battery charger upgrade, can I ask what is wrong with the standard one that comes with the Vantage? It seems to do what I need it to.

Also guys, I have noticed most of Hobbyking lipo batteries seem to come with bullet style connectors rather than deans, what is the best method of conversion, is there a conversion cable or is it just a case of soldering?

Many thanks, Jim

I've switched from Deans to the HXT4mm Hobbyking connectors, best thing ever. You can get adaptors but the HXTs are so easy to solder, just slide the plastic casing over both battery leads (on the esc) then hold the relevant bullet with a "Helping Hand" and heat it with a blowtorch/soldering iron, let some solder melt into the bullet cup and dip the wire in and leave to set. When both bullets have been attached slide the casing down and click each bullet in place.

As for chargers, we recommend getting an upgrade due to the extra capacity offered and the ability to balance charge/storage charge more than one pack at a time.

• Like 1

On 30/01/2017 at 20:16, chewbacca said:

I've switched from Deans to the HXT4mm Hobbyking connectors, best thing ever. You can get adaptors but the HXTs are so easy to solder, just slide the plastic casing over both battery leads (on the esc) then hold the relevant bullet with a "Helping Hand" and heat it with a blowtorch/soldering iron, let some solder melt into the bullet cup and dip the wire in and leave to set. When both bullets have been attached slide the casing down and click each bullet in place.

As for chargers, we recommend getting an upgrade due to the extra capacity offered and the ability to balance charge/storage charge more than one pack at a time.

Did just as u said Chewie, no problems at all, thanks. I bought a little carbon fibre jig to hold everything together (is that your helping hand or is that your missus?!!) I used some heatshrink to tidy everything up, really easy job, thanks.

The charger will have to wait another week or two.

I had a superb day out on Saturday with the car, we mapped out a decent sized track in an unused B&Q car park (other DIY stores are available!) I managed to pretty much burnout a set of new tyres out before I hit a kerb and broke both rear shock holders. Thankfully it happened right at end of the afternoon. Thankfully I had bought a spare set, I will be buying Alloy ones next time thou, I didn't think I hit it that hard lol. Took more work than expected to replace them I have to admit. It took nearly 2 hours on Sunday afternoon!

All in all thou, love the new addition, cracking little car for £100.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, xaote said:

Did just as u said Chewie, no problems at all, thanks. I bought a little carbon fibre jig to hold everything together (is that your helping hand or is that your missus?!!) I used some heatshrink to tidy everything up, really easy job, thanks.

The charger will have to wait another week or two.

I had a superb day out on Saturday with the car, we mapped out a decent sized track in an unused B&Q car park (other DIY stores are available!) I managed to pretty much burnout a set of new tyres out before I hit a kerb and broke both rear shock holders. Thankfully it happened right at end of the afternoon. Thankfully I had bought a spare set, I will be buying Alloy ones next time thou, I didn't think I hit it that hard lol. Took more work than expected to replace them I have to admit. It took nearly 2 hours on Sunday afternoon!

All in all thou, love the new addition, cracking little car for £100.

Haha, nope, it's a little tool with clamps.

Gotta say, both my boys (4 and 6) love their Brushed Carnages. So far we haven't had any major damage. Had one of the battery posts snap but that it's so far. All my spares that I bought with the car are all untouched. 

I think brushless would have been tooo fast for them! However I am tempted with brushless myself but going to hold out. As ideally I would love and Losi XXLe, and if I get the carnage, there is no way I'll get the Losi!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

I've read through the thread a couple of times and picked myself up a very lightly used brushless Carnage.

The only sign of damage anywhere was to one of the front body posts so I picked up some aluminium ones while I was getting some other bits for it.

However, I've hit a snag when it comes to fitting the front posts.  There's no fitting instructions but I'm assuming that both sets of posts need to be on the inside of the shocks towers?  Thats how it seems to be for the body holes.  If either the front or rear, or both sets of posts are placed on the outside of the towers, ie, furthest apart, then the body doesnt fit.

Issue is that the front posts cant be low enough, to use both mounting points, without fouling on other parts.

Alu post on the right is mouted on front of tower but thats wrong(?), it fits fine, but the body holes are out.

I cant drop the post on the left down to get screws nipped up in both holes.

20170225_192747_zpsswyahecc.jpg

Theres plenty of things I could do to bodge the whole thing but I'm hoping I'm just missing something very obvious.  These parts seem tried and tested but I can't find anything on google images to help me out any further.  Would rather not shave alu/plastic or drill new holes in body or fashion any spacers or anything but I just cant get my head around what I'm doing wrong!

Thanks in advance for any advice!
Cheers

Thanks for your pics mate - really appreciate your time.

So, where our's differ...I cant get those bottom ones lined up without it fouling on the plastic.

fouled_posts_zpsunyygykc.png

It's not the end of the world - I can bodge it.  Usually mass produced machined pieces just fit - nothing's bent out of shape on the car so dunno whats up.

Rest of it all fits fine so time to get the file out I reckon.

Thanks again mate