• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

FTX Vantage/Carnage owners Thread

Finally!!

I managed to get my Carnage conversion done. Just took it out, and it is as good as I hoped it would be.

With the 25T pinion, it doesn't wheelie. Under full throttle, the front wheels try to lift off the ground, but maybe 1 inch maximum.

Next job is to change the oil in the dampers, to something a bit more consistent (one shock has random fork oil from my MTB).

It seems to be quicker (top end) with the 25T too, so all in all, a good day.

• Like 1

Looking good mate. 

Thanks Chewy!!

If it wasn't for you, I would be still waiting for CVDs ;-).

The only thing I have issues with, is the shell depth, it doesn't even cover the chassis. I am starting to become concerned with stones and dirt, as well as lots of other things entering my car.

I've fitted the spur cover to the bottom of the chassis, and I had one fitted to the top. So my spur gear is completely enclosed.

Just need to do the shock oil change, and that's it. Just bashing!!

Thanks Chewy!!

If it wasn't for you, I would be still waiting for CVDs ;-).

The only thing I have issues with, is the shell depth, it doesn't even cover the chassis. I am starting to become concerned with stones and dirt, as well as lots of other things entering my car.

I've fitted the spur cover to the bottom of the chassis, and I had one fitted to the top. So my spur gear is completely enclosed.

Just need to do the shock oil change, and that's it. Just bashing!!

Glad I could help mate. 

Have you thought about putting the Vantage shell on under the FS shell as a chassis cover?

• Like 1

Glad I could help mate. 

Have you thought about putting the Vantage shell on under the FS shell as a chassis cover?

You always do help :P

That idea is fricking awesome!! Why didn't I think of that? I was thinking of something similar, but it's there staring me right in the face.

Thanks (again)

:-)

You always do help :P

That idea is fricking awesome!! Why didn't I think of that? I was thinking of something similar, but it's there staring me right in the face.

Thanks (again)

:-)

:thumbsup:

• Like 1

is the brushed one of the vantage good or shall i get brushless, yes im even researching ftxs before i buy

Brushed is a good start but you'll need a better charger than the one that comes with it. I recommend reading through the 33 pages of your original thread for all the required information...............................................................................

• Like 1

Brushed is a good start but you'll need a better charger than the one that comes with it. I recommend reading through the 33 pages of your original thread for all the required information...............................................................................

will the propeak one they suggest do the job, looks good

will the propeak one they suggest do the job, looks good

If they suggest it, it will be good. 

• Like 1

is there any recommended upgrades/mods that i should do? also what battery that is a bigger nimh fits it?

Read this thread for details of upgrades/mods.

The 6 cell 7.2v stick pack is a stock size unlike LiPos, so a 1600mah pack is the same physical size as a 5000mah pack. 

My final piece of advice is this: read the threads. 

• Like 1

Read this thread for details of upgrades/mods.

The 6 cell 7.2v stick pack is a stock size unlike LiPos, so a 1600mah pack is the same physical size as a 5000mah pack. 

My final piece of advice is this: read the threads. 

thanks

I wouldn't even know where to begin with that... the sort everyone else had were the hard plastic variety that (I think) screwed into the mount or otherwise to the car - how would you make something like that??

I would recommend having a word with Bez, one of the mods on here. He has a 3D printer and might be able to help. 

I wouldn't even know where to begin with that... the sort everyone else had were the hard plastic variety that (I think) screwed into the mount or otherwise to the car - how would you make something like that??

like this20150614_141531_zpsffmykljf.jpg 20150614_134439_zps1pyckun9.jpg 20150614_141546_zps4lnvrf58.jpg 20150614_204407_zpsebv6if5g.jpg 20150614_141653_zpsk41fbxtw.jpg

coke/lemonade bottle tops....job done! !

Edited by evssv
  • Like 1

Thank you both - that is v helpful indeed - forgive my "newness" but hadn't thought that a "home-made" solution would be acceptable but now you have said it, why not?? The only purpose, so I am told, is so the astroturf doesnt get damaged (makes sence!) I presume this is why wth the car shown you have not worried to put them on the back, as that is protected by a (hard, from the picture) spoiler? I may do both front and back 'cos my spoiler is floppy. Thanks so much for your help.

Thank you both - that is v helpful indeed - forgive my "newness" but hadn't thought that a "home-made" solution would be acceptable but now you have said it, why not?? The only purpose, so I am told, is so the astroturf doesnt get damaged (makes sence!) I presume this is why wth the car shown you have not worried to put them on the back, as that is protected by a (hard, from the picture) spoiler? I may do both front and back 'cos my spoiler is floppy. Thanks so much for your help.

no worries. .I wish I did do r the back as my new tower is now scratched up..the spoiler is a tad to low to protect it...typical! !. ...I need to do sum fur my hyper and me boys one aswell

I keep getting small stones wedged in the spur gear of my new Carnage (brushed).     As a total newb, I have only driven it around my gravel back yard so far.   I'm going to have to do something though, because it only goes for about 5 minutes before crunching to a stop on another pebble.      They get wedged between the spur gear and the rectangular hole in the chassis plate.

I guess it needs some sort of shield, but I haven't been able to find any upgrades or diy suggestions.      

Does anyone have experience of this, or have suggestions?  thanks 

I keep getting small stones wedged in the spur gear of my new Carnage (brushed). As a total newb, I have only driven it around my gravel back yard so far. I'm going to have to do something though, because it only goes for about 5 minutes before crunching to a stop on another pebble. They get wedged between the spur gear and the rectangular hole in the chassis plate.

I guess it needs some sort of shield, but I haven't been able to find any upgrades or diy suggestions.

Does anyone have experience of this, or have suggestions? thanks

use it sum where else??stick sum gaffer tape over it....quik n easy fix Edited by evssv

use it sum where else??stick sum gaffer tape over it....quik n easy fix

Thanks for response.  It's quite a complex area to cover, but I'll give gaffer tape a go.  

I'm pretty sure the pebbles are sitting on the chassis plate before touching the gear.   Not coming up through hole from below.  I'm not sure if I made that clear.

Edited by jjimjam

Thanks for response. It's quite a complex area to cover, but I'll give gaffer tape a go.

I'm pretty sure the pebbles are sitting on the chassis plate before touching the gear. Not coming up through hole from below. I'm not sure if I made that clear.

yep.... Try n tape it up. .aint gota look pretty....won't b seen anyways....and u can always take it off Edited by evssv