• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

FTX Vantage/Carnage owners Thread

Hi chewwy,

Nope I did not set the mesh before running.

It has been fine on grass/dirt, so I assumed meshing was ok...

I am running the spur and pinion dry - no grease or oil at all.

THanks for the tip with the paper.  I am hoping to sort this tomorrow in work (during official break times of course) :whistling:

Te sand was very fine, and was simply flicking up everywhere!  So the gears really did not stand a chance.

I am planning on using this buggy a lot on firm sand that is not wet. 

I really hope it will be ok.

Any advice on how I actually remove the spur gear?  Do I have to remove a load of screws just to access it?

Just found this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/65T-Aluminum-Spur-Gear-for-Turnigy-Vandal-FTX-Vantage-Carnage-Banzai/131483839979?_trksid=p2047675.c100011.m1850&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D30004%26meid%3Db77fd771b1cf4833841b681adb698c4e%26pid%3D100011%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D2%26sd%3D131462345752

I think this guy is a member on here?

Thank you

Yeah he's a member :) 

Thing is even with an alloy or steel spur gear, you'll still get bits of sand in there, and unless your running the same strength pinion and spur you will always risk ruining one, 

If you were into modding you could try and fit a baloon or something around the mesh to stop this happening?

THanks for the reply, I will order a couple of spur gears from the ebay link above.

Also - I have now replaced the spur (with another plastic one) and pinion gear.  Just need to test the car out tonight.

I also stripped the rear diff to take a look.  There was just a single blob of normal mustard coloured grease in there stuck to the side of the case!

So I put some black grease in there.

I also discovered that one of the bearings in the diff case was all siezed up, following my adventures on the sand dunes yesterday.

Luckily I had a spare one.

It seems that racing this on sand is a very bad idea, irrelevant of the gears, it trashes the bearings..

THanks for the reply, I will order a couple of spur gears from the ebay link above.

Also - I have now replaced the spur (with another plastic one) and pinion gear.  Just need to test the car out tonight.

I also stripped the rear diff to take a look.  There was just a single blob of normal mustard coloured grease in there stuck to the side of the case!

So I put some black grease in there.

I also discovered that one of the bearings in the diff case was all siezed up, following my adventures on the sand dunes yesterday.

Luckily I had a spare one.

It seems that racing this on sand is a very bad idea, irrelevant of the gears, it trashes the bearings..

Tap up RC Bearings for a set of rubber shielded bearings. Trust me, they'll help.

Will take a look now!

I dont suppose you know the bearing specs do you?

I.E inside diameter, outside diameter?  Height/depth?

I believe the 'bigger' bearings for slipper gear and diff box are these:

http://www.rcbearings.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&path=5_11&product_id=213

I will check wheel bearing sizes tonight, unless anybody knows it off hand?

THank you

Edited by mikeald

I did know them. Forgotten. 

8x5x2.5

15x10x4

10x5x4

I looked up them up in the list of Vandal spares on Hobbyking.

Edited by chewbacca

top man!

Just took the vantage out for a run on short grass.

Working sweet thankfully!

I then checked gear meshing afterwards, and all good :thumbsup:

Will order bearings soon.

Here are a couple of pics of the inside of the gear housing (full of sand and crud), and the diff housing, with just a lump of grease in there!

also a pic of camera mount

No after pics sorry - but I basically cleaned it right out and applied a generous amount of black grease....

Have a good weekend...

Here is the video of the buggy on sand at Ogmore bay in South Wales.  At the end of the video you can hear the very moment the buggy grinded to a halt!!!

Edited by mikeald

Hi everybody,

I ask for suggestions about how to fix the screws on the engine and on the slipper shaft.
Everytime, after 10 minutes they move and engine does not touch anymore the gear. On the slipper shaft instead i loose the front traction.
I tried to screw strongest as i can, but it didn't help so much.

Attached a couple of pictures.
Thanks

CbuvCv.jpg
QNv9sw.jpg

I recently fitted a replacement pinion gear and also a new spur gear.

THerefore I also had to tighten up the same screws as you did in your pics.

I applied a very small amount of medium strength threadlocker to the grub bolts, now working perfectly.....

Hope this helps....

Edited by mikeald

Hi Chewwy,

I have been giving some thought to why my spur gear stripped the other day on the sand.

I was thinking that it might not have been the sand getting all chewed up in the gears.

And that it could have infact been the pinion gear getting very warm, and literally melting the spur gear teeth?

The reason I say this is because, there was actually no visible sand whatsoever on the pinion and spur gear after running it in the dunes.

Also, the sand dunes were obviously a little steep, and of course the sand was incredibly fine.  This probably would have been the equivalent of racing the buggy up a small mountain?!  And therefore of course generating heat..

what do you think?  Possible?

ok, so sand being directly blown into the pinion/spur is by far the most likely culprit...

I have now ordered 2 x aluminium spur gears from that chap in the States, and have also ordered some rubber sealed bearings as you suggested.

Once all this arrives and gets fitted, I might try again!

I have also read that fitting a pinion with less teeth will be best for sand.

Is it worth fitting maybe a 21T or 22T????

Cheers

Edited by mikeald

Fewer teeth on the pinny will give more torque/better acceleration. It shouldn't bog down so much and help keep motor temps down. Have you got a temp gun? 

Get yourself one of these: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LCD-Non-contact-IR-Laser-Point-Infrared-Digital-Thermometer-Temp-Gun-GM550-UK-/261843828437?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3cf71bbed5

• Like 1

Hmmm, I might order up a 22T pinion...

My ultimate goal is to have the vantage running reliably on sand.  (I think the rubber sealed bearings will be a huge help).

It appears to be costing me a few damn quid to upgrade it!!!!!

What would the temp gun be used for?  Checking motor temp?

Would it be worth fitting a heatsink to the motor? 

After I ran the buggy on sand, I did a full stripdown on the back end (the front end was fine).

THe inside of the gearbox had a fair bit of sand in it, see pic.

But how did the sand get in there in the first place?  As the base of the gearbox is tight to the chassis.  (Perhaps I could make up a rubber gasket for the base)?

I think it went in through the drive cups and bearings on the sides of the gearbox????  Or maybe through the drive shaft bearings?

Any ideas?

Edited by mikeald

Fewer teeth on the pinny will give more torque/better acceleration. It shouldn't bog down so much and help keep motor temps down. Have you got a temp gun? 

Get yourself one of these: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LCD-Non-contact-IR-Laser-Point-Infrared-Digital-Thermometer-Temp-Gun-GM550-UK-/261843828437?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3cf71bbed5

Chewy, is this the gun that has a red dot?

Have you thought of sand paddle tyres? They'll give amazing grip on sand. 

RCs can be money pits, FTX ones doubly so lol

Yeah, brushless systems are temp sensitive, you don't want the Motor/ESC/Lipo getting too hot. Heatsink is a good move.

You should notice a difference with the rubber shielded bearings.

Chewy, is this the gun that has a red dot?

The laser pointer? Yes.

• Like 1

I have a pair of proline slingshots on the rear for sand.  (See my youtube video in earlier post on sand dunes).

THey are great tyres.

Any idea on how the sand got in the gearbox?  THrough the bearings?  Or under the case somehow?

Possibly under the case. It might be worth running a bead of silicone sealant round the bottom of the gearboxes before bolting them to the chassis. Also get a tube of green slime and put some in each bearing groove before putting the bearings in. 

Thank you very much for the suggestions,

I will try for sure some threadlocker. Hope it fix that annoyance, today I broke the second gear in two weeks because of those damn screws....

Luckily I ordered time ago three aluminum backup gears from the US, I still have some spares.

I let you know how my vantage will go with the threadlocker!

I have worked out that my tyre/gear ratio is approx 1.88 with the stock gears/tyres on the Vantage.

From what I have read, this ratio should be as close to '0' as possible.

So why does this not ship with a pinion with less teeth?  I.E 20, to bring the ratio much closer to '0'?

Cheers

Edited by mikeald