• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

FTX Vantage/Carnage owners Thread

Hello chewbacca I'm really lucky and have a field to bash in, but sometimes get out to local forestry. you've done well with your carnage I like the pics of the Hafod Ithel trig point you posted last year. It gave me an idea to drive up pumlumon but I haven't got enough batteries yet, one day though... The park n ride carpark in Aber looks like it could be fun.

Cheers fella, I hadn't had it long when I took those trig pics. Not been up there since. Best carpark for bashing is out between Borth and Ynys Las, epic bashing. Aber might be getting a proper skate park with a bowl, can't wait to bash that. 

I want to drive a scaler up Snowdon. Could make an epic film with onboard footage! 

I'm up for a drive up Snowdon I'll have to use the savage to clear a route through the crowds tho ha ha.

Had some great times at Ynys Las with the family it's a beautiful place gonna check that carpark out now thanks.

Edited by TinVin
  • Like 1

I'm up for a drive up Snowdon I'll have to use the savage to clear a route through the crowds tho ha ha.

Had some great times at Ynys Las with the family it's a beautiful place gonna check that carpark out now thanks.

That whole area is bashtastic. 

OK. I was doing some work on the Carnage today and finally got it up and running again. It was good to see it again and it was going well. I had forgotten how agile and quick it was and how useful it is in a small area such as my back garden.

I think I have been a tad harsh with some of my criticisms recently. Compared to something like my old Tamiya Fox it is a totally different class, both in terms of performance and ease of work. Also, features such as full ball bearings, brushless motors, 4WD, and electronic speed controllers were simply not available 25 years ago, or came at a very high price.

It is also well designed as it is possible to extract both gearboxes quite easily. I had to strip the front diff as the inboard cup had sheared. The diff was pretty dry and there had been some grease in there but it had gone brown and hard, not dissimilar to candle wax. So I added some stuff that I use on my bikes, and also did the rear. Total work time was only four hours or so. Not bad considering I hadn't gone in there before.

I think the big problem with the Carnage is certain parts really need to be stronger, such as body posts, drive shafts, diff cups, etc. Im going to hold onto it for the moment and keep it running. No big jumps though.

Hi,

I'm trying to decide what car to buy my 5 year old son. I've had this suggested to me by another member. One criteria for the purchase is that it must be robust.

Please can you estimate how many direct stomps of a frustrated 5 year old this car could sustain? I'll ask the same question to the firestorm owners too and make my purchase with the replies in mind :)

Thanks

ive got my bits from modelsport.

a desert rat body and a 1950's pickup, going to see about making that fit lol. also some traxxas wheels and streetfighter tyres that I'll glue and go for a bash over the weekend.

Probably spsend the rest of it fixing the thing and spraying the bodyshells

• Like 1

That's the combo my daughter and myself have just make sure you get the programming card as my carnage just did wheelies until I turned the punch down. 

BTW you can do it without card but it's easier with it.

Edited by TinVin

Got to get another one of these combos as my grandson wants to be able to keep up with us with his maverick mt. Glad they come with xt60 connectors now as I'm in the process of changing my lipos over to these. I think mine came with tamiya connectors!! 

I'm a Deans kinda guy lol. 

I'm getting another of the ESCs and this can: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__42939__Turnigy_Trackstar_1_10_9T_4370KV_Brushless_UK_Warehouse_.html for my BB

so I can put the 3900kv can in my Carnage. 

Well the desert rat is painted up, not a bad effort for a first go. Learnt a few lessons before I try and do the pickup body.

Went for a bash round a carpark on the new tyres and it's awesome fun on damp Tarmac. Looks like I've bent a cvd though so going to do a little persuading on it while I wait for a new one to arrive.

I'll get some pictures up as soon as I've had chance to poke the raw files in Lightroom a little

Well the desert rat is painted up, not a bad effort for a first go. Learnt a few lessons before I try and do the pickup body.

Went for a bash round a carpark on the new tyres and it's awesome fun on damp Tarmac. Looks like I've bent a cvd though so going to do a little persuading on it while I wait for a new one to arrive.

I'll get some pictures up as soon as I've had chance to poke the raw files in Lightroom a little

Got to agree its great fun on damp Tarmac.....great drifting although it doesn't like sliding into kerbs at speed = bent front cvd

Well done with the paint job looks really cool. I took the easy way out and did it all yellow but wish I'd done a more creative design like that. My daughter says your shell looks really cool too, won't tell you what she says about my paint scheme as it's a family forum.

ps nice rims

I'm really happy with the overall look of the colour scheme but don't look too close.

A closer inspection reveals where cheap masking tape has bled at the edges where spraying, the stripes are just off straight too. Like a complete donkey I'd forgotten to drill the bodypost holes before washing the shell or starting painting.

I'm thinking of using the same colours for my other new shell, a 1950's chevvy pickup although I'll do the fine detail on that by brush then just spray the block colours.

Can anyone recommend a decent 2s lipo to use in the brushless carnage?

Already upgraded and got the overlander super sport 4250 but it doesn't seem to be as good now as when first bought and it's only been used 4 or 5 times

Don't need a charger as I've got the overlander rc6-vsp.

I use the blue Turnigys from Hobbyking.  Nice and cheap but also darn good packs. Are you balance/storage charging? 

I think you'll be impressed. You should see the way my Brushed Carnage goes on a 2s 2200mah pack. It's bonkers. 

• Like 1

It's Mod.06. I'm gonna start with the standard 17t and get options in just in case the temps start rising. RW Racing do most sizes in .06 pitch, I wouldn't fit anything else now, RW FTW.