• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

FTX Vantage/Carnage owners Thread

It's taken me about 2 weeks to get all the way through this thread and I've forgotten more than I can remember I'm sure.

I bought a carnage brushless a couple of weeks ago as a first forray into 'serious' rc cars. Just to bash about with. I've no plan on racing as yet anyway. The plan was to leave it standard (lol) and just have something to play with that I can enjoy more than the heli's I failed to fly over the last couple of summers.. . . . . . . . .

then I broke it. . . . . . .

now over the couple of weeks I've been reading this thread, the inner engineer (I'm an engineer by trade) has come out to play/tinker and we now have a few hop-ups fitted and a few more ordered while I think about some modding too.

So far fitted I have:

carbon shock towers

aluminium shocks

sway bars

carbon top plate

carbon battery strap

I'm on my third pinion and second spur

second front diff

fourth front lower suspension arm

second bodyshell

and I've lost count on body posts

I'm waiting for some road wheels and tyres as well as a couple of different bodyshells that I plan on "making fit"

So far I've loved the car despite only having used it a couple of times without breaking it, tinkering is half the fun for me and as my LHS keep parts in stock at decent prices, things are pretty handy when I do break it.

Here's a pic or 3, I'll post more if I get these bodyshells looking any good

13495096393_c3bcd46430_c.jpg

13495208343_138c5da589_c.jpg

13495165703_6cc0b1c630_c.jpg

I should also say thanks to my long suffering girlfriend for taking the pics.

Edited by randomsnapper

The Carnage is a fun car but I have gotten fed up with keep fixing it. The body and posts will break as soon as it flips and the car seems to be unstable on high grip surfaces. On the road where my nephew lives I cant corner at speed because it will just go straight over.

I have just stripped the front gearbox to change the diff drive cups and the grease is dry and useless, but more worrying is the round holes which hold the diff bearings are somewhat ovalised. The back looks to be the same and there is a lot of play there now.

Closer inspection of the dogbones and the pins are getting quite worn, the centre drive shaft is almost sheared, and I really need to change a CVD also. Plus my second body shell has cracked.

After this next fix I will probably retire it and get something else.

I finally got fed up with fixing my carnage too and bought an mt4 from thunder tiger. It is a tank by comparison. Bits still break but I have a couple of really, really heavy crashes with it that would have destroyed a carnage but the mt4 has shrugged off. The body mounts are suspect but I have ended up using m8 steel bolts instead!

It is so fast as stock that I have only changed the pinion in terms of mods.

hi guys, newbie alert..

i bought a brushed carnage for my son (hes 5, but very capable, already flys helis!)

and rather than reading every page of this thread, thought id just ask..

other than having bad radio gear when purchased, the car seems ok..

accept for one thing..

he has barely used it and has been through two pinion gears and three main spur gears!  due to grit getting in the gears due to bad desighn, and possibly stripping teeth due to going from farward to reverse too quickly..

i see on the previous page a pinion gear upgrade (stronger i hope!), but is there a main spur gear replacement (metal?) as i cant find one listed anywhere..

thanks guys..

james.

hi guys, newbie alert..

i bought a brushed carnage for my son (hes 5, but very capable, already flys helis!)

and rather than reading every page of this thread, thought id just ask..

other than having bad radio gear when purchased, the car seems ok..

accept for one thing..

he has barely used it and has been through two pinion gears and three main spur gears!  due to grit getting in the gears due to bad desighn, and possibly stripping teeth due to going from farward to reverse too quickly..

i see on the previous page a pinion gear upgrade (stronger i hope!), but is there a main spur gear replacement (metal?) as i cant find one listed anywhere..

thanks guys..

james.

My grandchild (6) does that forward reverse thing too quick aswell with his maverick strada mt and broke his centre shaft, I did tell him but he likes the wheelies and endos. Probably grit as you say but how is the mesh?

Someone was doing metal spurs a while ago but its not an optional part.

I found the carnage a good first car as you learn alot fixing it. I've spent enough money on it that I could have got a more durable car to begin with but wouldn't have learnt as much and it is so much fun with a 10T brushless motor.

I found the carnage a good first car as you learn alot fixing it. I've spent enough money on it that I could have got a more durable car to begin with but wouldn't have learnt as much and it is so much fun with a 10T brushless motor.

I'm a bit of a noob too myself but with an engineering background, always did love tearing things apart.

I'm considering a motor upgrade from the 12T brushless in my carnage but I don't know a great deal about motors as yet and what my options are with the standard ESC. Might go for a combo and go waterproof. Still only in the early stages of thought on that one.

Fingers crossed the bits I ordered on Sunday get here soon, I've decided to try and mount an old rugged camera in the battered standard bodyshell. It's just something to play about at, don't want to spend any money on it per say but I think it could be a laugh for a few minutes to get some low res FPV while out bashing. Must not do any cutting until the new ones turn up.

I've got a desert rat body on the way because I know they fit (safe option) and I'm going to see if I can make a vintage pickup truck body fit on there at all, might have to do a bit more modding there (less safe option). Also got some proline wheels and road tyres on the way.

This is starting to get expensive for something that was just to mess about with down the park

My grandchild (6) does that forward reverse thing too quick aswell with his maverick strada mt and broke his centre shaft, I did tell him but he likes the wheelies and endos. Probably grit as you say but how is the mesh?

Someone was doing metal spurs a while ago but its not an optional part.

hi, yes i think the mesh is ok (mesh being how close the pinion is to the spur gear?) its not too tight and not too loose, i think!..

can i ask who it was that was selling metal spur gears on this fourm? thanks..

This is starting to get expensive for something that was just to mess about with down the park

Welcome to RC! I think most of us here would be rich if we had never picked up a TX  :eek:

I was getting sick of the access and little space under my vantage she'll so I give you the

cantage

2111A5D4-E71C-408E-BA2A-B7BF9A66B682.jpg

C8B26FB2-9F34-4496-AA40-B1FE61F4F398.jpg

I have replaced the vantage shell with a self painted carnage shell and put the front bumper and shell posts from a carnage too looks pretty awesome I think

I was getting sick of the access and little space under my vantage she'll so I give you the

cantage

2111A5D4-E71C-408E-BA2A-B7BF9A66B682.jpg

C8B26FB2-9F34-4496-AA40-B1FE61F4F398.jpg

I have replaced the vantage shell with a self painted carnage shell and put the front bumper and shel post from a carnage too looks pretty awesome I think

Edited by boffy999

hi, yes i think the mesh is ok (mesh being how close the pinion is to the spur gear?) its not too tight and not too loose, i think!..

can i ask who it was that was selling metal spur gears on this fourm? thanks..

Yes it was daveyboi73 tho I havn't got one. I've been lucky with spur gears the only one I killed was because of a loose pinion now I always threadlock. The only parts I've not destroyed are diffs and, strangly, body and shock posts. 

Yes it was daveyboi73 tho I havn't got one. I've been lucky with spur gears the only one I killed was because of a loose pinion now I always threadlock. The only parts I've not destroyed are diffs and, strangly, body and shock posts. 

lovely thanks for that, just sent him a messege, hopefully he may have some left!

Bore da Lampy lad. I'm halfway to killing my second spur and first bodyshell lol. Btw, where do you bash? 

lovely thanks for that, just sent him a messege, hopefully he may have some left!

Let me know if he has, I'm going brushless soon and may well need one!

Hate to brake the bad news but this is the last of Dave's metal spur gears!

5EFFFD50-1A0E-42C1-94D8-A5C0DA05E3CC.jpg

can i ask if a bunch of people chipped in for  load of them to be made? and if so, would you mind giving me a clue as to the cost per gear?  as there is a place down the road from me that would make them up for me if i wanted enough of them..

and how about selling me that one ;-)

can i ask if a bunch of people chipped in for  load of them to be made? and if so, would you mind giving me a clue as to the cost per gear?  as there is a place down the road from me that would make them up for me if i wanted enough of them..

I'd have one. 

can i ask if a bunch of people chipped in for load of them to be made? and if so, would you mind giving me a clue as to the cost per gear? as there is a place down the road from me that would make them up for me if i wanted enough of them..

Find out how much the place down road will charge you per one then I'm sure I could lend you this one for research and a couple of the new ones sent my way!!

Pm me when ya got a costing

can i ask if a bunch of people chipped in for load of them to be made? and if so, would you mind giving me a clue as to the cost per gear? as there is a place down the road from me that would make them up for me if i wanted enough of them..

Find out how much the place down road will charge you per one then I'm sure I could lend you this one for research and a couple of the new ones sent my way!!

ok thats fair enough lol.  not sure i will go down that route now after speaking to dave on this forum, who has given me a link to a dust cover from another car that is a rough fit for the carnage, so ill try that first (and lossening the slip clutch a bit too), and see what happens, if i keep going through gears still, ill have to go speak to the metal work company down the road..   btw dave got back to me and unfortunately is unable to get them made anymore :-(   

ok thats fair enough lol.  not sure i will go down that route now after speaking to dave on this forum, who has given me a link to a dust cover from another car that is a rough fit for the carnage, so ill try that first (and lossening the slip clutch a bit too), and see what happens, if i keep going through gears still, ill have to go speak to the metal work company down the road..   btw dave got back to me and unfortunately is unable to get them made anymore :-(   

What's that link fella? I been wanting to shroud my pinion and spur for ages.

What's that link fella? I been wanting to shroud my pinion and spur for ages.

here you go chewy ;-)

www.smddirect.co.uk/122159-dust-cover-s10-blast-bx-tx-mt-sc-1083

he said its not a perfect fit, so a bit of fiddling about will be needed, but im sure its better than stock..

Bore da Lampy lad. I'm halfway to killing my second spur and first bodyshell lol. Btw, where do you bash? 

Hello chewbacca I'm really lucky and have a field to bash in, but sometimes get out to local forestry. you've done well with your carnage I like the pics of the Hafod Ithel trig point you posted last year. It gave me an idea to drive up pumlumon but I haven't got enough batteries yet, one day though... The park n ride carpark in Aber looks like it could be fun.