• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

FTX Vantage/Carnage owners Thread

1 minute ago, Redback said:

@Ant.pStock servos to weak even for the stock wheels, upgrade is a must. Can get a decen 18kg + for less than 20£

@Iain .RFustrating to see you have issues, a 60amp would be min spec for this size truck, not sure why you went for 45amp when 60amps were reccommened in the first place.
Can probbably keep the motor but the esc sounds like it doesnt have the power to move the motor. Hobbywing Max 10 or the extronix 60amp that comes in the outlaw.

I’ve seen lots of unbranded servos on the likes of eBay and Amazon. Is it worth spending the extra money on a name we all know and trust?

Just now, Ant.p said:

I’ve seen lots of unbranded servos on the likes of eBay and Amazon. Is it worth spending the extra money on a name we all know and trust?

I dont like to buy twice, so i get extonix or powerhd servos from modelsport or wheelspin, im sure ebay ones will be fine but thats your call and budget 🙂 always rubbish loosing steering when your out and about.
Would opt for 6v with metal gears eg.
https://www.modelsport.co.uk/etronix-15kg-0-16s-std-digi-metal-gear-servo-waterproof/rc-car-products/1331346

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/etronix-21-8kg-0-16s-standard-digital-servo-metal-gear-waterproof/rc-car-products/433048
https://www.modelsport.co.uk/power-hd-servo-hd1812mg-waterproof-18kg-0-12sec-/rc-car-products/1330612

• Thanks 2

56 minutes ago, Redback said:

I dont like to buy twice, so i get extonix or powerhd servos from modelsport or wheelspin, im sure ebay ones will be fine but thats your call and budget 🙂 always rubbish loosing steering when your out and about.
Would opt for 6v with metal gears eg.
https://www.modelsport.co.uk/etronix-15kg-0-16s-std-digi-metal-gear-servo-waterproof/rc-car-products/1331346

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/etronix-21-8kg-0-16s-standard-digital-servo-metal-gear-waterproof/rc-car-products/433048
https://www.modelsport.co.uk/power-hd-servo-hd1812mg-waterproof-18kg-0-12sec-/rc-car-products/1330612

I went for the power hd you recommended. Was looking at the savox range, but when you have to buy two of everything, it gets a little silly price wise. The wife has started to comment on my spending habits re the cars. she said something along the lines of 'we could have bought a real car for less'. I shan't tell her I'm not done yet... 😬😇

Edited by Ant.p
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ant.p said:

Boom! Thanks for the advice re the wheels, @Jens. They’re superb. I was impatient and ordered the 76 x 25 insulation and it fitted a treat. My son is a bit jealous, but wanted to order just one set initially to make sure they work okay.

did you upgrade the steering servo after upping the wheel size? The 3kg standard one isn’t great, and I’m thinking the added resistance on the ground and weight will only make things worse. Will test it out tomorrow and see. 

FCA94AA7-8E29-4092-A1BC-2537A6908076.jpeg

AE5B75AF-FEE4-4879-8023-6C71F9901E3A.jpeg

The wheels look awesome, don't they?

The stock servo isn't good. even with the stock wheels.

My Bugsta Brushless has the Etronix ET2070. That is good for normal driving.

My Carnage mad machine has the Etronix ET2072, Awesome. If you are prepared for real fast and direct steering. But needs some getting used to.

Edited by Jens
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, Ant.p said:

I went for the power hd you recommended. Was looking at the savox range, but when you have to buy two of everything, it gets a little silly price wise. The wife has started to comment on my spending habits re the cars. she said something along the lines of 'we could have bought a real car for less'. I shan't tell her I'm not done yet... 😬😇

Cool, hope it serves you well and if it doesnt you can contact the store rather than get the run around from china saying take it to a hobby shop they will fix it blah blah.
This is true you can and will easily spend the cost of a 2nd hard car on rc ....  Tell her, you cant jump the family car reliably, so long term this is cheaper than a real monster truck or something lol.
Might work... No hobby is cheap maybe the wife needs a truck to justify it haha 🙂

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Iain .R said:

Unless you have a brusless esc in your bug an iv got the wrong one up here . 

I just bought a Hobbywing Max10 SCT from a member here.

Destined to be used in the 3rd Carnage once I find a good deal for a motor.

The 3rd Carnage has a GoolRC combo. Not really good, but configured to work well.

We can talk, when the time comes. But it can takes quite a while.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Redback said:

Cool, hope it serves you well and if it doesnt you can contact the store rather than get the run around from china saying take it to a hobby shop they will fix it blah blah.
This is true you can and will easily spend the cost of a 2nd hard car on rc ....  Tell her, you cant jump the family car reliably, so long term this is cheaper than a real monster truck or something lol.
Might work... No hobby is cheap maybe the wife needs a truck to justify it haha 🙂

Haha, you can’t jump a carnage reliably either. Every time I land I’m looking through hopeful eyes, wondering if it’s still in one piece?!

Definitely cheaper than a real MT, I’ll tell her that incase she hasn’t realised the alternative option 😆

2 minutes ago, Jens said:

Etronix ET2072 in action.

With 0.06s for 60°.

Really fast:

The stock servos can hardly turn the wheels at standstill. Looking forward to this upgrade alongside some tyres with inserts that haven’t entirely dissolved.

the pipe lagging you recommended is decent. Feels a little like memory foam. 

6 minutes ago, Ant.p said:

the pipe lagging you recommended is decent. Feels a little like memory foam. 

I am sure there are better inserts out there. I was just not willing to pay the price. £20 for a set of 4 RC inserts vs £20 for 2m pipe lagging.

This Armaflex has a big advantage. It's made of closed cell foam. Meaning, it will never be soaked with water.

Hence, it will never dissolve into a pulp.

But it has, as you say, a "small" memory effect.

During the week I always have the cars lifted off their wheel.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jens said:

I just bought a Hobbywing Max10 SCT from a member here.

Destined to be used in the 3rd Carnage once I find a good deal for a motor.

The 3rd Carnage has a GoolRC combo. Not really good, but configured to work well.

We can talk, when the time comes. But it can takes quite a while.

I ended up going with the 4000kv max 10 set up but not the SCT one because I have the vantage, haven't put it in yet, will it be okay on stock gears or do you think I should gear down?

10 hours ago, oscart2005 said:

I ended up going with the 4000kv max 10 set up but not the SCT one because I have the vantage, haven't put it in yet, will it be okay on stock gears or do you think I should gear down?

Hi,

I already have a Max10 (non-SCT) in my other Carnage with a 4000KV motor.

Just like you.

In my opinion, you should gear down.

And surely the stock gears (brass & plastic) will not stand the power of the Hobbywing Combo,

I changed my pinion & spur to hardened steel.

Then I choose a 32DP pitch for them. Bigger teeth = less chance to break.

These are my pinion & spur:

47T spur: Currently sold out, but here is the sellers ebay shop: https://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/daveyc1973?_trksid=p2047675.l2559. Daveyc1973 is also a member is this forum.

10T pinion: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Corally-32-Dp-Pinion-Short-Hardened-Steel-10-Teeth-Shaft-Dia-3-17mm/353153894972?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

( 9T, 12T, etc are also available from the same seller )

I bought the Max10 SCT for my last Carnage. I don't need SCT, but it was a reasonable deal.

42 minutes ago, Jens said:

Hi,

I already have a Max10 (non-SCT) in my other Carnage with a 4000KV motor.

Just like you.

In my opinion, you should gear down.

And surely the stock gears (brass & plastic) will not stand the power of the Hobbywing Combo,

I changed my pinion & spur to hardened steel.

Then I choose a 32DP pitch for them. Bigger teeth = less chance to break.

These are my pinion & spur:

47T spur: Currently sold out, but here is the sellers ebay shop: https://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/daveyc1973?_trksid=p2047675.l2559. Daveyc1973 is also a member is this forum.

10T pinion: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Corally-32-Dp-Pinion-Short-Hardened-Steel-10-Teeth-Shaft-Dia-3-17mm/353153894972?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

( 9T, 12T, etc are also available from the same seller )

I bought the Max10 SCT for my last Carnage. I don't need SCT, but it was a reasonable deal.

I think the vantage comes stock with 23t pinion and a 65t spur so what would be best to change ?

3 minutes ago, oscart2005 said:

I think the vantage comes stock with 23t pinion and a 65t spur so what would be best to change ?

Oh you have a Vantage...

They have different pinion/spur ratio for the stock setup.

Vantages are more for speed than Carnages.

I don't know if you are running 2S or 3S Lipos.

It's all about a good amount of maths.

Based on my calculations I would suggest:

2S: 13T/49T

3S: 10T/49T

Here the math if you like.

1: The revs of the motor when you apply full throttle.

4000KV means 4000 revs at 1 Volt.

with 2S Lipo: 4000 * 7.4 = 29600 revs at full throttle

with 3S Lipo: 4000 * 11.1 = 44400 revs at full throttle

2: Gear ratio

23/65 = 0.354

10/49 = 0.204

12/49 = 0.244

( the higher the number, the faster the car )

Multiply motor revs with ratio and you have the revs at the center driveshaft.

You would need to aim to have more or less the same revs at the center driveshaft with your new motor.

A bit higher, if you want your car to be faster.

Here come the complete formula:

Stock brushless with 2S: 2950*7.4*23/65 = 7724.46.

7724.46 is your base to calculate backwards. Choose a higher number, if you want your car to be faster.

7724.46 / 4000 = 1.93 (using a 4000KV motor)

1.93 / 11.1 = 0.174 (using 3S Lipos)

0.174 * 49 = 8.52 (using the 49T steel spur)

You would need a 8.5T pinion to achieve the same performance as before.

I recommend 10T with 3S Lipos since the Hobbywing is a bit more powerful.

Happy calculating yourself....

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Jens said:

Oh you have a Vantage...

23/65 = 0.354

10/49 = 0.204

12/49 = 0.244

You would need to aim to have more or less the same revs at the center driveshaft with your new motor.

7724.46 is your base to calculate backwards. Choose a higher number, if you want your car to be faster.

Okay thanks for the help, think I’ll make it a bit faster but not overly fast.👍

Took the new wheels out today for a test. My sons filming is worse than his driving, but the car handled so much better.
I did melt the spur gear, so have now ordered a steel 32DP. I assume the extra traction and weight was just too much for it. Yet another order... 🤦‍♂️

3 hours ago, Jens said:

Oh you have a Vantage...

23/65 = 0.354

10/49 = 0.204

12/49 = 0.244

Do you know what the RW racing ones are like ?

6 hours ago, Jens said:

Oh you have a Vantage...

23/65 = 0.354

10/49 = 0.204

12/49 = 0.244

Clever maths, but when broken down like you’ve done it makes sense and is fairly simple, thanks. 

By your calculations, I have discovered that the carnage with the 32DP spur I have in the post should have an 11dp pinion to closely match the stock gearing on a 2s battery with our 3300kv motors, but it comes with a 16 tooth. Hope this isn’t too much strain on the motor, especially with the bigger wheels 🤔

I have a selection of smaller 32DP pinions now, so may experiment a bit.

I didn’t change any other than the wheels for today’s bash, but now wish I’d reduced the pinion size, as this may have saved the RW Spur. The steel one that I’m replacing it with is advertised as ‘bullet proof’ so here’s hoping it will last!

3 hours ago, oscart2005 said:

Do you know what the RW racing ones are like ?

I don't know those. Sorry.

7 minutes ago, Ant.p said:

I didn’t change any other than the wheels for today’s bash, but now wish I’d reduced the pinion size, as this may have saved the RW Spur. The steel one that I’m replacing it with is advertised as ‘bullet proof’ so here’s hoping it will last!

The hardened steel ones are bullet proof.

When there were still openings for stones to come in, the stones used to eat the plastic spur.

The hardened steel spurs eat the stones like nothing!

A general message to all those that upgraded their Carnages to the Hobbywing Max10 and 3300/4000KV motors.

Or planning to upgrade....

Expect the drivetrain to brake at some point.

My damages until today:

6 CVDs.

2 differentials.

Went out for a bash today and the pinion of the front diff lost teeth again.

I have no idea how to solve the CVD braking/bending without spending a unreasonable amount of money.

For the diffs I found one seller that sells hardened steel pinions for the diff. I will give them a try.

And I cannot allow any slip in the slipper clutch.

With those motors it must be completely tight.

Replacing the slipper clutch with a center diff might be a solution.

I have to say that the FTX Carnages are not made for that kind of power we have now.

Nevertheless: It's fun!!!!

• Sad 1

17 minutes ago, Ant.p said:

Clever maths, but when broken down like you’ve done it makes sense and is fairly simple, thanks. 

By your calculations, I have discovered that the carnage with the 32DP spur I have in the post should have an 11dp pinion to closely match the stock gearing on a 2s battery with our 3300kv motors, but it comes with a 16 tooth. Hope this isn’t too much strain on the motor, especially with the bigger wheels 🤔

I have a selection of smaller 32DP pinions now, so may experiment a bit.

Was that the RW racing one off of model sport?

3 minutes ago, oscart2005 said:

Was that the RW racing one off of model sport?

Yes, and I could t fault it until today. To be fair, I think this was my fault also for gearing up too much. I couldn’t hardly get to top speed on a 3s, it was just too fast. The motor was quite warm after a run too. Then I upped the size of the wheels and something had to give.

8 minutes ago, Jens said:

A general message to all those that upgraded their Carnages to the Hobbywing Max10 and 3300/4000KV motors.

Or planning to upgrade....

Expect the drivetrain to brake at some point.

My damages until today:

6 CVDs.

2 differentials.

Went out for a bash today and the pinion of the front diff lost teeth again.

I have no idea how to solve the CVD braking/bending without spending a unreasonable amount of money.

For the diffs I found one seller that sells hardened steel pinions for the diff. I will give them a try.

And I cannot allow any slip in the slipper clutch.

With those motors it must be completely tight.

Replacing the slipper clutch with a center diff might be a solution.

I have to say that the FTX Carnages are not made for that kind of power we have now.

Nevertheless: It's fun!!!!

I was ‘strongly’ advised not to use 3s batteries on the carnage for this very reason. They aren’t built to take it.

like you say, it’s fun, but wish the fun would last a bit longer between replacing parts.

as of yet, my diffs and CVD’s have survived, but it’s only a matter of time.

if you don’t mind me asking, where have you sourced the hardened steel pinions for the diffs? WHEN mine give up, I’ll also look into reinforcing them.

5 minutes ago, Ant.p said:

I was ‘strongly’ advised not to use 3s batteries on the carnage for this very reason. They aren’t built to take it.

like you say, it’s fun, but wish the fun would last a bit longer between replacing parts.

as of yet, my diffs and CVD’s have survived, but it’s only a matter of time.

if you don’t mind me asking, where have you sourced the hardened steel pinions for the diffs? WHEN mine give up, I’ll also look into reinforcing them.

On closer inspection, I’m now thinking it could be one of the diffs? I have now fully exposed the spur and it appears intact.

it’s definitely slipping somewhere, as I could hear the grinding sound when the break was applied, and also on acceleration.

In my haste, I had just assumed it was the spur, but may have ordered this unnecessarily 😱

1 minute ago, Ant.p said:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000562336803.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.38533856R4jToU&algo_pvid=62130544-3f54-434b-9c10-8b1714e4ce9b&algo_expid=62130544-3f54-434b-9c10-8b1714e4ce9b-0&btsid=2100bdd816162625424864064eb4df&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_,searchweb201603_

Basically, the Carnage is made by VRX Racing in China.

They offer upgrades that never make it here for sale.

You can search Google for VRX Racing and get to their homepage.

But it is extremely slow and not https://. Some browsers don't like it.