• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Hyper ST Owners Thread

http://i302.photobuc...008/ayaz146.jpg

Its not the best picture and you can only see one of the two brackets

There are 6 fixing points on the hyper 9e battery box. One on each corner and 2 in the middle, (note all of the fixing /screw holes are on the outside)

I wanted to mount it as close to the center of the chassis without touching the spur. I drilled 3 holes to fix the battery box to the chassis. The other 3 fixing holes overhang on the chassis so I could not use them they way I had positioned the box. So I made 2 alloy brackets instead.

Bracket 1 is just flat L shaped piece which bolts to the chassis via nut and bolt and then secures to the battery box via a self tapping screw.

Bracket 2 as pictured is a different shape but same process applied as above just using the side of the battery box.

Edited by ticky

Well the build is going well, had trouble with the lrp engine as the back plate is to low ive used washers to make the heat sink higher so the engine fits.

But im not overly happy with so ive ordered some sheet metal which il drill holes in to sit between the chasis and heat sink hopfully that will work better maybe few mil longer screws to.

The stock tyres are poo?

How come??

They just dont all that great to me, but saying that now im getting a bitvof use from them there so bad.

Anyone got a spare rtr chassis they're not using?

I've seen the lightened version on ebay - seems quite good value it may not be so good for bashing, jumps etc.

Has anyone got the lightened version? If so, how is it holding up?

Mine is scratched and battered and I wanted to move the battery tray to fit the 52t spur. I also wanted to do a better job of drilling the holes this time round. Thought it would be the ideal time to get a new chassis :)

Ahh just wondering, But the Spare Chassis I have is already drilled to the 46T spur too.

What are you wanting to move to 52T spur for anyhow?

Worried about gearing?

15/46 Pinion/Spur with 11/43 Pinion/Ring Gear should be fine for a 2000KV 4282 Leopard to drive a 5KG truck with 5.8 inch tyres.

MMM/CC2200KV has no issues with it for sure.

Infact the motor heats up faster than the ESC, so could even be a little undergeared.

Edited by GorillaZilla

Hey all.

Just wondering have i made the right choice putting an lrp zr32 in my st pro.

Depending how ruff a place i start taking it would I be better off getting an engine with higher rpm and sacrafice a bit of the raw power.

The engine will not be wasted as my savage needs a new engine.

Edited by Darren81

Just wondering, Can't you just put a bigger clutchbell on, to gear it up?

Yea ive just put a 17t clutch bell on it waiting for decent weather to give it a good go.

Its just i need another engine anyway so thought I would ask.

Thanks darren

Well tried the bigger clutch bell the 17t and my mates standard trophy truggy still just beats me and hes running the standard 15t that hpi supplies.

Its not a major problem just expected the hyper with lrp to leave it for dust.

Edited by Darren81

Seem to have solved my engine issues, I took off the hong nor 3016 pipe and put on the hobao one from the kit its now a lot faster.

Must be the pipe doesnt agree with lrp engine i have so might try it on my hyper 7 and maybe buy a jp4 pipi instead.

Edited by Darren81

I had a moment of weakness the other day (soon after my esc set on fire) I thought about converting my hyper st back to nitro. My missus called me an "infuriating idiot" she then proceeded to lecture me on all the reasons why I should'nt go back to nitro, the hassle I had with it, the cost of fuel, no reverse etc etc

She also pointed out the time its taken me to save up and buy all the bits needed to get my ST to run brushless.

I do love her

Sometimes...

;)

I had a moment of weakness the other day (soon after my esc set on fire) I thought about converting my hyper st back to nitro. My missus called me an "infuriating idiot" she then proceeded to lecture me on all the reasons why I should'nt go back to nitro, the hassle I had with it, the cost of fuel, no reverse etc etc

She also pointed out the time its taken me to save up and buy all the bits needed to get my ST to run brushless.

I do love her

Sometimes...

;)

How much did it set you back for the conversion if i decide to try brushless at a later date will proberly want to do the st.

Well, if I were to do it again i'd buy a new esc and motor instead of a used one

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HOBBYWING-XERUN-4274SL-2000KV-Brushless-Motor-150A-ESC-LCD-Program-Card-ME237-/300679884022?pt=Radio_Control_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4601eaecf6

Motor mount

http://www.fusionhobbies.com/Ansmann-Racing-Brushless-Conversion-Kit-Hyper-8-p/ar127000102.htm

Quite expensive if your only after the mount (got mine second hand) Used ones seem to be really rare at the moment.

Losi battery tray

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LOSA4461-Team-Losi-Battery-Tray-8E-/221056406300?pt=Radio_Control_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3377fd131c

Then you'll need lipos and a charger which will cost a few

Since were talking about brushless Hyper ST's.... I'll post some random pictures....

Losi 8ight Battery Fitted, Details on how it was fitted Here: Linky

MBX6T Sideguard fitted to the Battery tray side, as the Stock Sideguards don't leave enough side room for the Losi 8ight battery tray.

Details here: Linky

Battery Tray Lined on the Sides and Floor with this Grippy foam with only a single Sticky Side

And thick multi layered buffers at either end made up from layer upon layer of this Tape, with plain foam sheet at the end to not have sticky parts exposed... (these Buffers are essential for protecting Softcase LiPos, And even hardcases from the Kind of crashes the Hyper ST can survive, And I'm even thinking of Bolting Square plates onto the inside ends of the tray, to increase the height of the walls at either end of the Tay, and Foam buffering them, to spread the Impact load over the entire end surfaces of the LiPo rather than just the ends of 2 lowest cells)

(end of motor is cable tied to Rear chassis brace, to stop the motor Levering out and bending the Motor mount in Head On crashes and Nose Dives, Use a Few, as one alone will pop off on a nasty head on impact)

100_1935.jpg100_1936.jpg100_1937.jpg100_1938.jpg100_1939.jpg100_1940.jpg100_1941.jpg100_1942.jpg

LiPo installation, HardCase mode.

100_1943.jpg100_1944.jpg100_1945.jpg100_1947.jpg

100_1948.jpg

Note the Cable ties through the ESC and around underneath the Built in ESC tray on the Losi 8ight battery tray.

These are essential, as in the same head on crashes that would crumple soft case LiPos in any other tray, also cause MMM esc's to split open and allow the main innards and upper casing to Fly free. Which in my case caused the ESC itself to leave the car, but Leave the Servo Leads behind.....

Resulting in this: Linky......

Don't worry though, thanks to Epic Soldering, It got better..... Linky....

But the red wire to allow access to the internal BEC stubbornly refused to allow itself to be resoldered.....

Hence the ugly and messy setup with a Receiver Pack Strapped to the Center Diff Mount, in a Butchered part from a Hyper 7 Radio Boxes Part that holds Hump packs....

Double wrapped with a Turnigy Strap, Has held up to High speed crashes OK so far.

Had to put an extra cable tie to hold the silver pieces each corner of the fan in place.....

100_1949.jpg

Story behind the fan is....

Version 1

Fan simply Cable tied to Motor = Failure: Fan blades often caught and jammed in the Cable ties when the fan moved upwards in crashing and bashing, Which stalled the fan. Ceasing it's cooling.

Version 2

Used the Metal Sleves that go into Hyper 7/ST C-hubs to raise the cable ties up and out of the reach of the jumping fan's blades.... = Partial success: They did the job and prevented the fan from jamming itself on the Cable ties, but the metal sleves started moving up and out, threatening to come out completely...

Version 3, Final current Version

Used an extra cable tie to hold down each sleve..... = Total Success: After much smashing and Great & terrible carnage while ravaging the countryside ..... no signs of failure have shown themselves.

Fan is positioned so it exhausts the Hot air straight out the side of the car, as there is a Cutout in the Sideguard right where it blows to, and a Bulge in the shell, leaving a nice waste heat Exhaust port....

This version of the Conversion Hardware has proven as Durable as the Hyper ST Itself, and Protects the LiPo's Like no other Conversion kit Would.

Will use everything I've learnt testing and developing this conversion on the Hyper ST pro Chassis I have lined up and ready for conversion. (missing a couple of Prospec parts... Hubs, center Spider diff (Going to put an RC monster Slipperential In anyway...)

Will most likely use a Prettier Receiver box like A Hyper 8 Receiver box Or Traxxas E-revo receiver box.....

Heres the Next Project in Waiting...

Just need to save up for the Parts to convert it.....

100_1847.jpg100_1849.jpg100_1850.jpg100_1851.jpg100_1852.jpg100_1853.jpg100_1854.jpg100_1855.jpg100_1856.jpg100_1857.jpg100_1858.jpg100_1860.jpg

Edited by GorillaZilla

My hyper has cost me roughly 150 gbp to convert to Brushless and about that amount for hop-ups and replacements.

Well been out today with the st, no problems so lookslike im finally There the rx battery lasted over 1 1/2 without the heat sensor on the spektrum which im happy wiith.

Just got to order a black wing as my white painted one isnt lasting lol.

Right now for the question any decent wheel / tyre combinations to look out for that doesnt inc having to change over the wheel hubs.

Just got mine for my son , who's 5 in October lol. I traded his Losi 8 e in as I needed money . He's been runni g his mini 8 but this cropped up

I'll let you in on a secret

I had a hyper st pro

Basic servos,

Thunder tiger pro .28 engine and pipe new , only had two idle tanks through it

Aswell as a new spare set of wheels all for 40 quid

Buggy looks neat, it's bloody huge !

I will say thou that. It's cheap build quality .

What the hell is the score with Phillips head screws?

So do poor !!! But like I said for 40 quid I can't complain

I'll finish running engine in and let you all know what I think

Are there any essential upgrades needed ?

4753c198.jpg

9f577f0e.jpg