• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Follow on to my cheap motor thread...

forbs

Narrowed the motor down for my hyper 7 conversion to...

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=17697

That can take 4s and the 1600kv that can take up to 6s

Just need to decide which one is better for my use. Mainly bashing and sometimes speed runs

Cheers guys :)

Would it matter to run 6s on a lower kv or 4s on a higher kv is my question

Baring in Mind I want to atleast have a go at getting it to a decent speed :)

Depends what you mean by 'decent speed', Nomsicle's BSD probably does around 50-60mph, but it's impossible to say for sure without measuring the speed.

It is however ****ing quick.

keda 1900kv on 4's, plenty 45-50mph for bashing, stick a 6s on to push for 70 :)

http://www.giantcod.co.uk/keda-367409xl-inrunner-brushless-motor-p-402371.html

Cheers turner

Have you used one of these motors? They seem too good to be true... All that flavour and zero calories !!!

I have the 2000kv hobbyking on the way, the one you posted a link too first. I reckon it can handle 6s even though they say it cannot.

If you want a buddy code I think I have one...

I don't like those pink cans, I had a smaller one and the thread stripped in the front end bell. Then the rotor magnet detached and finally then the rear end bell fell off and I lost it (repairs between each of these of course). My friend had one the size linked by turner and the thread at the front end bell stripped so it just turned and turned!!! I feel that they are low quality and fall apart with medium/heavy bashing.

Edited by who

I have the 2000kv hobbyking on the way, the one you posted a link too first. I reckon it can handle 6s even though they say it cannot.

If you want a buddy code I think I have one...

I don't like those pink cans, I had a smaller one and the thread stripped in the front end bell. Then the rotor magnet detached and finally then the rear end bell fell off and I lost it (repairs between each of these of course). My friend had one the size linked by turner and the thread at the front end bell stripped so it just turned and turned!!! I feel that they are low quality and fall apart with medium/heavy bashing.

How would you know if it can handle 6s? Plug it in and hope for the best?

How would you know if it can handle 6s? Plug it in and hope for the best?

That was my original plan.... 2000kv motors usually handle 6s. The only reason I can think of that this one might not is if the magnetic material becomes saturated at higher voltages which causes lots of heat but would possibly cause the motor to "over rev" like it does when it's been overheated (de magnetised). For this reason, I will probably measure motor speed with a tachometer at 4s, and if it is 50% higher on 6s then I will consider it safe to try. And if the temps stay down I will consider it perfectly fine.

Saying that, my ESC is 4s so I will be sticking to 4s for the time being anyway!