• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Axial XR10 advice needed, please

Quantra

Hello rock crawling forum, my first post over here!

Since the weather is improving I have been thinking about going out doors for some RC fun. Last year I bashed a Hyper 7e and as much fun as it was launching it off ramps and the such I find this year I have little desire to go back to it. So I was thinking of selling the Hyper to make room and funds for a basher for this year.

Well after a look around I find myself coming back to the Axial XR10 as it just looks so damn awesome to me. Really something a bit different.

axial-xr10-moa-crawler.jpg

Now I know nothing about rock crawling, after seeing this car I had to check a video or 2 to see what it's all about! Well it looks pretty cool, having seen this car driven up trees and things I think it's something I could enjoy. However I don't want to purely do rock crawling I'd like my car to bounce about a little faster than a stock Tamiya lunchbox but nothing more than that really. No desire to jump it or try and make it fast round a corner. Just bouncy fun over rough ground and some crawling too.

So first up, does that sound like the sort of thing I could do with the XR10? I know it's a competition crawler but nothing looks the same! If not could I mod it a bit to get it bouncing over some rough ground at that sort of speed.

Next up I need to work out how much this is going to cost me to finish. So what sort of electrics do I need? I know it needs 2 motors but I'm just not sure about the options.

I'd like to go brushless if that's a possibility just to rule out motor maintenance. I guess it has to be sensored for crawling as any cogging is really going to be detrimental? If that's the case I already have a 60A Xerun ESC I could use and a Hobby Wing 21.5T motor (if that's the correct sort of wind I need, I don't know). Could I buy another ESC and motor like these and use them all together? That could help save some pennies. Or is it better to get a single ESC that runs 2 motors, I'm not sure if such a thing even exists!

For batteries I'd be looking at run time over anything else and cheap enough that I can buy enough to last a bash without charging. All suggestions welcome.

Servo I have no clue, please suggest something affordable.

Radio gear I'd like to use my Ansmann W6 (GT3B) which I will hopefully have hacked soon. Again this is an area I have no idea on when it comes to dual motors, DIG (don't really understand this either) and all this crazy new stuff I'm reading about. Any advice or a newbies guide would be great.

Finally if there's anything else I need to finish the kit or anything else I should know (essential mods/hop ups etc) then please do share. Any advice is really appreciated as this is all new to me and thanks for reading!

personally mate, if you want something that will do everything, off road trails/bit of speed etc. go for a axial scx10.

i will take a brushless system in it up to a 9t would be fine without risking breakages (mainly driveshafts) will crawl very well with the right set-up.

loads of different ways to modify change it to suit your needs.

will easily take brick pack lipos that will last you ages.

the xr10 is very good but needs lots of upgrades to get it reliable anywhere up to

personally mate, if you want something that will do everything, off road trails/bit of speed etc. go for a axial scx10.

i will take a brushless system in it up to a 9t would be fine without risking breakages (mainly driveshafts) will crawl very well with the right set-up.

loads of different ways to modify change it to suit your needs.

will easily take brick pack lipos that will last you ages.

the xr10 is very good but needs lots of upgrades to get it reliable anywhere up to

as above mate, i know people who have spent 1,000quid on em...(that they admit,lol) its a pure crawler really, its seems like we always say the same, but the scx is the way to go, theres not much else out there that touches it

Well that's certainly some food for thought. Shame the XR10 requires so much to make it usable.

Have to admit the SCX10 just doesn't do it for me. I like the huge wheels and laid down shocks of the XR10 and I'm not really into the scale look. Is there anything closer to the XR10 out there that would work for me? Could I put huge wheels and a space age shell on the SCX10?

I'm not after anything as fast as the SCX10 in seanmcgrath48's video although that does look cool. Just something about the speed or a little faster than a stock lunch box or similar silver can beast.

Thanks for the help so far!

Oh and budget is undecided so far. In general though it's whatever it takes to get something decent :)

Edited by Quantra

the big wheels are not a problem with the scx10, but the bodies may require some modding to get the desired look.

if its a out and out crawler with a bit of speed, have a look at the new ax10 ridgecrest, more crawler with a bit of speed thrown in, also crawler wheels and tyres will fit, slow it down a touch too if you want too.

axial are hands down the best out there without spending the

the big wheels are not a problem with the scx10, but the bodies may require some modding to get the desired look.

if its a out and out crawler with a bit of speed, have a look at the new ax10 ridgecrest, more crawler with a bit of speed thrown in, also crawler wheels and tyres will fit, slow it down a touch too if you want too.

axial are hands down the best out there without spending the

Edited by Quantra

have you thought of something like a wraith?

I've had a look at the Wraith but really I'm not keen on that roll cage body work with driver's seat and everything. Perhaps if that can be done away with it could be a contender?

Ok that looks a lot more like it, apart from the body shell but hopefully can hack something else on to it.

Just watched the video for it on axial's site and performance wise it's pretty much spot on. My biggest issue is that it's RTR so means I will have to pull it to bits and rebuild the moment I get it (building RC's is most the fun for me) and I will get motor, battery, esc and radio that I don't want. I guess that is also where the

Recently bought a wraith and cant fault it. Even from stock its held its own with very little issues performance wise. Only gripe I would have with it is that its a little top heavy and prone to flipping over if your not careful. Besides that its fantastic, more than fast enough for an off road bash and a more than capable climber. Personaly I prefer the scale look of it. I do like the SCX as its far more realistic but I dont believe it can climb as well as the Wraith which is primarily what I wanted it for.

Like others have said, Wraith SCX etc all share allot of parts so there is plenty of scope with either model to modify and upgrade it. I have just spent a grand total of

I dont believe it can climb as well as the Wraith

got to disagree with you there fella, a box stock scx10 would and indeed does walk all over the wraith for climbing, as far as to say, a set-up scx10 would compete with a ax10 crawler with no worries.

I'm not after anything as fast as the SCX10 in seanmcgrath48's video although that does look cool.

Thanks.. :thumbsup:

Remember my SCX is a FOFFer ,so you can not crawl with it..

Parts List.. so far :whistling:

Axial SCX Chassis.

Axial SCX/AX-10 Gearbox with HR steel Gears , Robinson Racing OutDrive.

Axial Spur gear cover (AX80078).

Axial SCX/AX-10 Axles.

Axial Over Drive 63t/14t Gears (AX30401) Front/Rear.

Axial SCX High Mount body post (AX80031).

Axial SCX Ride Height Ajusters .

Traxxas Revo/Slayer Pro Alloy GTR Shocks (5460x).

Traxxas Jato Shock springs GTR (0.9 Yellow) (5427).

Turnigy 2200mAh 3s 25c Li-Po.

Mtroniks Plasma45 6.5t (4400kv/rpm) Motor.

Turnigy TrackStar 1/10th Scale 60amp ESC.

Ansmann Racing 14t Pinion 32pitch.

Traxxas 54t Spur Gear 32pitch.

JunFac Universal Drive Shafts (J90026) for Gmade R1 (140mm max lenght).

Steering servo (BMS-660DMG+HS 14.2kg/.17sec) from Hobbyking.

Traxxas T-Max Alloy Servo Guard.

ST Racing Axial SCX/AX10 4 link plate (front and rear).

ProLine Jeep shell.

Custom made links.

Shock hoop braces= 2x 75mm

Front= Upper 86mm Axial Rod ends , Lower 100mm Axial Rod end.

Rear= Upper 91mm Axial Rod ends , Lower 106mm Traxxas Rod ends.

and it's still not finished :shockingscary:

Sean

Well it does seem like Axial are a great company to go with but are there any other brands worth considering? I'll certainly be having a good think about what I want from the car and how much I'm willing to chuck at it. I'll be looking into available mods and hop ups too, as this is where I'll ultimately get my enjoyment.

On the note of Axial appearing to be a good company I emailed them today and asked if there would be a kit form of the ridgecrest. Just 20 minutes later I received this response:

Thanks for contacting Axial Racing. At this time we have no plans of a

Ridgecrest kit. I will suggest this in our next meeting.

Thank You

So that's nice to get a response so quickly but a shame that there are no plans for a kit version just yet. Not really made my mind up on what to get yet other than crawler style and all signs do seem to point to Axial at the moment. Also thinking about it I still wouldn't mind a dual motor rig, just for the challenge of building it and within a budget. So really I guess there's still plenty to look into, so I'm glad I'm looking into it sooner rather than later.

So where do you get parts from? I'm happy to make orders to hong kong as I do this on a regular basis anyway. Parts availability and price (mostly price) will be taken into consideration as I do like to use, abuse, break, upgrade and mod but not always in that order.

for axial parts, dinball/rcmart, toadz rc, discount hobbies, rcboyz, junfac are a few i use regularly and all are great.

if you still want to go moa route the have a look for either some rc4wd bully axles or some enroute berg axles, there the best axles money can buy for a moa, not cheap but you will see why. couple of 35t motors on them and a decent esc with punk dig would sort the electrics, then theres a number of chassis available from over the pond, you might even drop onto a xr10 chassis.

ive found with the ax10/scx10 that parts rarely fail, only real weak points are propshafts and gearbox outdrives,

Not at all, the more info I can arm myself with the better. If I'm going into this side of the hobby then it will all have to be learnt at some point anyway.

I was having a look on Junfac and came across this: http://www.junfac.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=6&products_id=318

Anyone know what they are like or have any experience with them? Looks good to me for the money.

Does it take a while to get stuff from junfac then? I just noticed they are in S. Korea, I had assumed hong kong! Or is it a case of they don't have much stock? Anywhere else to buy stuff for the G-Made vehicles?

Since it's for bashing I don't mind waiting on parts to an extent, not like I'll ever have to have it fixed in time for a race.

Sorry meant to ask in my last reply. What are junfac like for marking parcels down? Should I expect to pay full charges on every order?

I've been looking into the GMade and have to say it's looking good. Not too sure about those portal axles though.

never been stung from there parcels before mate, and most of the orders have been around the 30-40 region.....

that would be my only reservation, if the portals let go, send them a email mate, ask them what the spares back up is like.

saw one go a few months ago for 150 i think as a roller.....