• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

HPI Baja 5SCe Brushless - El Beasto \m/

Noj

Right, update on wobbly wheels.

Fitted new guerilla rims, no play between them and the (newly bolted) extenders.

Close inspection reveals that the holes in the axles have obviously worn, as this is where the 2/3mm of play in each plane is to be found :(

Best order a new pair from abbots and set about drilling and cutting the old ones out of the toobz...a thankless and very time consuming job :(

Or not.....

Fitted stock parts as a test, no play at all. Extenders are the weak point, to the bin with them, Vertigos ordered from Nige instead :)

Cheaper fix and no hassle, hurrah :)

The extenders have worn out Clive. Received new bolts from uber today, they have play within the extender when tightened, the extender has play on the axle. The stock hpi parts fit perfectly, no play at all, thereby ruling out axle wear.

Makes sense, HS axle + 10hp vs ally extender with crappy bolt install. Uber now do a v2, using the pin design.....says it all really ;)

Exactly, lol....should have occurred sooner, sign of age I reckon.

She'll be ready soon as bits arrive, will repair the no spark, make extension leads for the ESC and fan and hoover the grass out in the meantime. She can then go back upstairs so the 5ive can take up residence in the conservatory :)

Very well hidden mate, I thought you had a 5b. Your bodyshell looks new is it or is it the original one?

I shoo goofed my sc rear end then a line around the edges hoping it will last a long time. But if that's your original shell it might have not been needed.

My baja needs a bumper spacer do you know how to make a diy one up? Preferably an alloy one.

Also since you know tons about brushless could you help me try to understand it thru pm when I put a thread out it gets confusing and I end up worse lol. So just getting advice from one person might help me better.

Who knows my baja might end up brushless one day too. Doubtful tho I love it's grunt.

I have the SC, my wife has the 5B....such is the romantic nature of our relationship ;)

The black shell in the thread is long gone now....had two seasons from it after the smash, sadly ended up being more gaffa and cable ties than a proper shell, offered no protection so went in the skip before moving.

When she's sorted, I'll post a pic of her in this seasons shell, already rather knackered but it was second hand when I got it back (owned and sold it with the super 5, then got it back for nowt!)

Happy to help with any BL badgery :)

• Like 1

In my experience, Vertigos are definitely the better extenders.

I'm currently running from of Kevs though (rs-fruitbat) ad they're a very quality item.

I'm not sure if they'd be a bit wide for your arches though, if memory serves they're 31mm wider than stock each side.

Works great on the buggies though to help counteract grip roll.

The B runs them, all in rude health and performing well. I could have swapped between the two,decided it was hassle so bashed the B instead yesterday, discovered worn parts so that is getting new rpm front arms fitted.

It is being cleaned as well, got very mucky yesterday :(

Noj 2 - Chassis' 0

Can you bend a kraken x2, creating a small arc front to back?

Yes, you can. Chassis no2 bites the dust. Chassis no3 to be ordered.

Let no one say I bash like a girl.

Pics to follow tomorrow....

• Like 2

Many, many tumbles, barrel rolls and bad driving I suppose....there's only one fool in control, or, not as I think this proves.....

Explains why there was up and down play in the steering, lol. The TR top plate is in perfect condition, as are the shocks and everything else bolted to it!

IRC black chassis and under brace ordered :) Looks like the weekend's jobs are covered....pity, cos the weather is good, the bash spot is nicely dry again and the B is not mine to do with as I please :(

Many, many tumbles, barrel rolls and bad driving I suppose....there's only one fool in control, or, not as I think this proves.....

Explains why there was up and down play in the steering, lol. The TR top plate is in perfect condition, as are the shocks and everything else bolted to it!

IRC black chassis and under brace ordered :) Looks like the weekend's jobs are covered....pity, cos the weather is good, the bash spot is nicely dry again and the B is not mine to do with as I please :(

always better to ask forgiveness than to ask for permission

Hmm, still surprised to see that kind of damage! I'd only expect that from a seriously big impact, not multiple small impacts, that's what they're designed to take! Remember that Vid of the guy dropping the Kraken chassis'd Baja from a first floor window?

Agreed Tug.

I had a random thought: Beast has always been stored wheels off ground. The arc of the bend supports my thought that the weight of the Beast has bent the chassis?

I'll be looking at it more this morning, new chassis ordered from IRC anyway....

May drop kraken an email and see what they say....IMO, if this is storage damage, then a new chassis should be forthcoming,foc.

Emailed Kraken. Unlikely I have the receipt now,so probably on a hiding to nowt,however, their comments will be interesting.

Sure the bend is down to keyboard stand storage with the wheels on...which frankly sucks!!