• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

HPI Baja 5SCe Brushless - El Beasto \m/

Noj

Vertigo performance hub extenders, they fit, but you cannot use them with front brakes as they are not designed to take the rotors where the rotors sit; and if they need a different mounting bracket to push the calipers further out, then they should make this clear! (tho I just don't think that set-up would work anyway tbh) They arrived quickly enough, but are not fit for brake purpose......

Vertigo performance hub extenders, they fit, but you cannot use them with front brakes as they are not designed to take the rotors where the rotors sit; and if they need a different mounting bracket to push the calipers further out, then they should make this clear! (tho I just don't think that set-up would work anyway tbh) They arrived quickly enough, but are not fit for brake purpose......

Should of just sent them back?or pm Hiks on Baja forum?

As I'm using them on Debs 5B, we'll keep 'em. I could send an e.mail to Hiks perhaps.....have had stuff from them before and I am happy with price and service, just felt that this is a basic error that should have been apparent to an experienced owner/trader - and I'm not sure I want to be the person questioning experience?

Not soon enough, hurry, Jon.

Clive, couldn't have put it better myself!

Further progress is down to arrival of stuff and kinda out of my hands...... esc, cap packs and motor on their way to MS (in fact some bits may be here, but pointless picking owt up til it's all there, as they'll be doing my wiring/plugs etc),

6S lipo power on its way from HK Europe, so your guess is as good as mine on that :xd: ,

tomorrow I shall be e.mailing Neil at RW re getting the following pinions - 14T, 16T, 17T and 18T; the slipper runs 57t spur, so that should give me good gearing options for the 6S set up, at least until the 4S packs are in stock again.

Each bit remaining is reliant on another bit getting done first! ie I could fit the brake pipes, but need to fit shocks first, but need to get firmer oil (which is a possibility for tomorrow) for those..... see where I'm at, my head swivels aimlessly at times; in fact I may have bits I've forgotten about.

AND there's the shell to paint - which will take me (if I'm brave enough) 2/3 days to sort out......add in giving loving to 2 cats, the shopping, cleaning, washing, this bl00dy forum :tease: ....where does a retired man's day go???? :whistling:

• Like 1

slipper clutch... you should swap the spur to a plastic hostile one... 54 tooth if i was you :) the metal one on there will quickly chew threw the pinion...

as far as pinion choice, i would say 14t should be your max on the 5t if your going 54t...

remember the CC kit comes with a 14t stock :)

Thanx for the link Joe, looks like an interesting job to do....may get 3 of these in in case I mess one up!

One pinion to take a range of packs from 6 to 8S? Surely this could cause heat issues on 7 and 8S? Nice not to have to shell out more money on bits that I won't need however, unless I get different pinions for the 5B, as we're not fitting a slipper to that until I've thoroughly tested it out on the SC??

###note to self - concentrate on one badger at once you fool!!!!#####

8s 12t

7s 14t

6s 16t

is what i would go with with the 54t gear on a 5sc, due to the larger wheels...

with mine i'm using

8s 14t

7s 16t

6s 18t

and getting good temperatures throughout the range,

it is really trial and error tho mate,

I'd reccomend running it on the stock 14t to begin with, check temperatures at the end of your run's and work from there...

hot motor cool esc cool batteries = undergeared

Cool motor hot esc hot batteries = overgeared

Batterys will always be warm in these high draw systems, so its the esc and motor you wanna keep a close eye on...

Max temp for motor is 70*C, esc 60*c and batteries 40*C... or at least thats what i keep them under at all times :)

get a reliable temp gauge, keep an eye on them and you'll be golden :)

• Like 1

Smashing Joe, a nice range to find the best fit.....better to have options than none, or, a long wait until new bits arrive! Can u recommend any fairly priced temp guns, as I can see one being essential, at least until gearing is a known quantity! Will only have 6S power at first, so pinions to be ordered....one day I will actually NOT spend any more money on merely building this..... :xd:

Joe, been looking at the FFRC window sets for the rears - I reckon they're a bit useless tbh, as they're cut away so much for noisy petrol bits....I reckon a set of Ubers up front and some self fabricated rears, Blue Peter styley as clips are available to buy on their own...what d'ya reckon?

8s 12t

7s 14t

6s 16t

is what i would go with with the 54t gear on a 5sc, due to the larger wheels...

as long as it was a t/sc from the start the gear box has a different idler gear to the be so it should be the same final drive despite the diffrnt sized wheels.

handy info Howie, and yes, it is a stock SC SS that is being built! Lots of unknowns with this, but frying high end electrics is NOT on the list of things to do....

Have contacted Neil now so will await his reply re pinions....

handy info Howie, and yes, it is a stock SC SS that is being built! Lots of unknowns with this, but frying high end electrics is NOT on the list of things to do....

Have contacted Neil now so will await his reply re pinions....

i thort it was but i got a bit lost having not read the whole thread an d you mentioning 2 bajas.... :S i would like to convert mine but i cant justify that amount of money to myself

Aye, we have 2, tho the 5B is waiting to be done, MUST finish this one first lol

TBH mate, I don't consider it an expensive conversion, especially now the Sirius Motors are available.....if you take into account what you can get back on selling engine etc, then it offsets the cost quite a bit! The CC conversion kit is

yea, b*** is the code ;)

get you 10% off :)

the tube mod is well worth it :) makes everything (especially changing batterys) much easier :)

I'm running QR and my centre rear broke first run...

I've since made a 1mm thick clear window to fit in the same place and extend all the way down the back. Offers alot more protection and has a little flex to it :)

Edited by Bazzokajoe