• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Monkey's S2 RS Turbo, Mk1 Golf GTi

bodgemonkey

• 2 weeks later...

Ended up getting my money refunded on the seats as the seller was being a bigger pain in the rear then Ron Jeremy! ( wanted me to get out of bed at 5:30am to meet him)

Nevertheless, a bloke on the RSOC is giving me a mint recaro drivers seat and pair of door cards.... For free! Now the interior is sorted I've focused my attention on the engine side of things. The boost ECU shorted out last time I was out in Cyprus, so I've got bought a pair of Power Engineering ECUs to get me going, along with a new boost controller and 38mm external wastegate. Together with the rest of the parts that are going on I'm going to turn down the boost pressure (bigger turbo will flow about the same at a lower pressure than the smaller unit it had fitted) to around 1 Bar, should see around 170-180 bhp, and it should have next to no wastegate creep, so less lag :)

Also need to pick up the wheels from my uncles in Leicester and start thinking about rubber.

Pics soon, promise :P

Picked up some bits today

Momo competition leather steering wheel

E6FCAE49-44F9-41A3-9607-47E8672A83EF-2683-000004FEA442C19C_zps483f37a8.jpg

And a drivers side recaro

232F8E6B-2FBF-4FB1-9CE2-188A7CC5131E-2683-000004FF07D4D0C4_zpsfed78dd5.jpg

Picked up a pair of 80 spec door cards too in great nick but the fabric had become unglued, so I've taken the fabric off to reglue it.

Oh and an inlet manifold and cylinder head to try my hand at porting :)

• 2 weeks later...

Picked up a couple of parts this morning, 90 spec spoiler and a spare body kit.

Will be fitting the 90 spec kit on as i prefer the looks of it compared to the 80 spec IMHO.

Oh and the exhaust is wrapped and ready to be shipped next week :)

Another day another trip to the garage, had some polish on hand so I gave the 3.0CS' bonnet a quick polish to see how it was, came out ok actually and somehow it's not rusted :lol:

DSCN1137_zpsb97dd68c.jpg

Got some pics of the golf as she is at the moment too :)

DSCN1147-Copy_zps35cd5dfe.jpg

Original paint on pretty much all the panels, and it's in decent nick too 

DSCN1150_zpsd24e935e.jpg

DSCN1155_zpsc4d0bab6.jpg

DSCN1145_zpsbef119ec.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Cheers Jojo! Took off the Rocker arms, lifters and camshaft to check and clean everything. Lifters and camshaft look damn near new, not that you can see due to my iPotatocam

26B80871-D815-4191-AACB-026AD869872C-680

EE74ECE7-3ACF-4DDE-832C-2F392FD97A2F-680

3BAE8B3C-4921-45CA-9633-5CD34A1569D4-680

Will probably take the valve springs and valves out tomorrow, maybe re lap then and finish decoking the exhaust valves depending on how much time I have. Got all the gear for doing it in the garage so that should help :)

some nice cars you got there especially that mk1 gti, im a mk1 gti fan, had lots of them some years ago. 

Last one i had was a 1982 convertible, loved it it was white and i put a blue mo-hair hood on it. It was almost concourse, we used it as our wedding car.

Hence i acquired the nick name vdub dave  from my mates, as i used to be vdub mad. still got a passat lol.

anyway i will stop reminiscing, keep up the good work    :thumbsup:

Cheers guys, not much progress today as i was pretty busy ( had to make dessert "from scratch" today otherwise i would get a right telling off. So instead of cleaning up the valves i ended up making about 10 of these instead :lol:

5463_10200733042746828_1881968815_n_zps1

Right, managed to get some time to myself today so I got busy removing the valves off the CVH head. Decoked the exhaust valves and remapped them with fine and coarse grinding paste and a valve suction tool. Took me 2 hours to do them all by hand, so glad it's not a 16V :lol:

Also managed to degrease the mk2 golfs engine and steam cleaned it ready for the electrician to come round and sort the alarm out before it goes back on piston heads :)

Rs I remember lorries turning up full of them for my dads company. Random fact. His company designed and made the 1st body kit for the pug 205 and 1st company to turbo one. 80's car even if they're slower than newer cars were and are always more fun. No computers to sort you out, body's that flex to buggery make it far more fun

It was ridiculous. 1st one was just as the 1.6 was released, it was written off whilst being driving by a journalist. They made 25, I've found 2 left. In contact with 1 of the owners but he isn't selling it currently. I have a real hankering for a Renault 5 GtTurbo. Standard of course