• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

glow plugs keep burning out HELP?

jason3249

Hi people,

Iv taken the truck out for a tune, i turnt the screw all the way out so it was running rich with loads of smoke and it was really boggy, i twisted it in not even a quarter of a turn and it was still smoking very bad, Then i was driving it around a little bit and then it died and rolled to a halt,

Then it burnt out another plug, the one i brought earlier, then i tried to turn the engine over with the easy start, Nothing, wont turn over at all, So i stripped the engine down and its seized....

I managed to free the engine but the piston is mushed

I cant work it out as it was running rich and was smoking, bogging down the lot..

Does anyone know why it seized???

Oh yeah the tempreature was at 105celcius

Any advice would be great

FPMSL...thats a winner, we need a shows us your FUBARB'D thread :thumbsup:

The compression from a piston is gained from its crown depth,and its tightness to the bore(sleeve in this case)...but its biggest need is integrity.

Ive run em with chunks taken out of the crown, and AM currently running this one...bout 5litres so far, nice an lean too :xd:

100_3917.jpg

Note the gap below the mount, in the skirt, the other side is twice as deep and it runs sweet as a nut..(for now :whistling: )..

Yours is as above stated FUBAR (what a film lol)...it will destroy itself/rod/liner and everything else when it gives out, soon as that gets hot(my god stay rich lol) it'll crack round to the gudgeon and wipe your motor out, TBF idoubt it'll even run.......But for a laugh though (bank balance allowing oc) file away all the rough edges gently till smooth, bang it in and go for it, its only a nitro aftall....be sure to film results :yes:

honestly though buy another piston,maybe liner,or complete motor fella, doubt it'll play ball for long....Best of luck :thumbsup:

TBH i know very little about your particular model fella...so just as advice i suggest its MS or spins or the trusty fleabay...might pay to spy for a snotter for parts...

Sadly mate its good old interweb trolling for bits, or put up in the wanteds, or bang a link in your sig, try abit of fishing :thumbsup:

I'll scout about, but either way all the best with it fella :thumbsup:

It seizes up because it running lean

or the compression is still to high and working it too hard

i did the same with my Hpi Rush evo back then - when dave told me his new form of failsafe for me

I was running to hard on it - WOT for too long, and then silence as it rolls to a stop

Had same thing, the piston had seized in the liner.

the piston got to hot and expanded and the liner wasn't = dead

I stuck a new liner and piston in - and away i went again

Ziggy

i did the swap in the end i got for it a traxxas ken block 1/16 and a hbx rocket pro 4wd buggy and a Brushless set up not a bad swap

but im just leting you all no that he has just text me saying that it does run but its always boggy lol at least it goes.......

Edited by jason3249

• 12 years later...
On 10/02/2012 at 05:57, martin said:

I have been using enya plugs and they are spot on mate my picco has had 4 ltrs with the enya plug in it and is still fine, os plugs are also good, stay away from fastrax plugs they are gash i had one and only lasted 2ltrs although it did do my break in on my engine so i might try them again just to see how long they last on a good tune but for the enya plug i cant fault them the coils are slightly thicker so are robust to heat, but to be honest even the toughest plugs will burn out on a crap lean tune mate always stay on the rich side of a good tune by doing what nitroholic says by backing it off an 1/8th of a turn when your hitting high rpm.