• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Offroad micro racing thread

c0sie

DSC_0908.JPG

[My GT14B PRO]

So there are lots of good threads on this forum about micro bashing, micro hopups and stuff like that, but not a huge amount about micro racing, so let me kick it off and hopefully inspire some of you to start racing micro's :)

My name is Cris and I am the chairman of the BRCA Micro Section. We have a 6 round national series that has been running for about 5 years now and we are always looking for new drivers to come along and have a good at our series. We welcome ANYONE of ANY ability, as long as you are a BRCA member, can abide to all our rules and have a nice personality we will welcome you with open arms lol.

For more information about the national series have a look on the BRCA website: http://brca.org/?q=node/134 (work in progress), or email anytime at [email protected]

As for the racing I am sponsored by Carisma, the company that have brought us the GT14B and the GT14B PRO. I started racing back in 2006 with an RC18T at my local touring car club, went on to run the FTX Blaze for CML Distribution, won the 2007 BRCA Micro Championship, ran the LRP Shark ST for LRP in 2008, and went to Carisma in 2010.

I race a GT14B PRO at the moment and our team of racers (Craig Harris, Phil Sleigh, Tony Bishop and myself) have developed the car over the last 5 months here in the UK to suit the UK tracks.

Anyways, for those of you who never even knew that there was somewhere you could race your micro RC's I thought Id come and introduce myself and leave you with some links to videos and photos :)

Photos

https://picasaweb.google.com/108882350210964733276/UkMicroX2011 - UKMicroX 2011 gallery

https://picasaweb.google.com/108882350210964733276/UkMicroRound1201112 = 2011/2012 Series Round 1

https://picasaweb.google.com/108882350210964733276/UkMicroRcRound2201112 - 2011/2012 Series Round 2

https://picasaweb.google.com/108882350210964733276/UkMicroRound3 - 2011/2012 Series Round 3

https://picasaweb.google.com/108882350210964733276/UkMicroRcRound4201112Hereford - 2011/2012 Series Round 4

Videos

You're welcome :)

We are a friendly bunch and are very welcoming. I know that other national series have reputations for being super serious with top drivers that are unapproachable, but we arent like that.

Yes we have rules and we adhere to them but all in all we are a close knit group having a good time out on a Sunday :)

Is there a place for my little mini sc in your national series Mr Chairman?? :P

Hey fella,

Our rulles state that all bodyshells used must not cover the wheels of the car (when viewed from above) so SC shells arent allowed as it stands.

Which SC is it? Could you fit a buggy shell onto it?

I would love to give it a go at some point, what cars are a good starting point? Last time I raced it was 1/10th about 6-7 years ago, and everyone ran orion brushed systems, oh how I don't miss cleaning brushes!

Anyway, I will have a poke around your website and give it a think :)

@ReggieC Mini SC racing would be awesome! Tiny bumps and bashes, both cute and aggressive.

Edited by louder

Hey,

For the 1/16th 4WD there are only 3 real options; the discontinued LRP Shark ST, the Losi Mini-8 and the Carisma GT14B Pro.

Both the Carisma and the Losi come as RTR with a 4500kv ESC and motor combo that will EASILY make a National A-final so no real need to change them.

LiPos are around

Brill thanks, I live in Chester, I currently don't have a car but there are buses and trains so its easy enough, I might pop down some time and come see what it's like. So you just run stock electrics with a LiPo and your set?

I suck at driving XD so we will have to see but it sounds good.

I don't suppose you run at 1/18th scale races?

EDIT:

Are the rules on the site?

Edited by louder

Brill thanks, I live in Chester, I currently don't have a car but there are buses and trains so its easy enough, I might pop down some time and come see what it's like. So you just run stock electrics with a LiPo and your set?

I suck at driving XD so we will have to see but it sounds good.

I don't suppose you run at 1/18th scale races?

EDIT:

Are the rules on the site?

We have run the 1.18th class since 2007 and this year we are averaging 3 entries per national so we plan to drop the class next season. However that isnt to say that you cannot run your 1/18th in with the 1/16th's. Keith Robertson (CML & Team Associated superstar) managed to out qualify all the 1/16th 4WD cars with his 1/18th 4WD car last year at Hereford.

You would be more than welcome to enter your Mini-T in the 1/16th 2WD class as long as it met all the rule requirements :)

Rules: http://brca.org/sites/default/files/library_files/microchair/BRCA_Micro_Section_Rules_20112012.pdf

Clubs: http://www.uk-microrc.co.uk/forum/index.php?showforum=99 (Look for Mold club and Ellesmere Port club)

This looks awesome..wish there were venues yorkshire way..as id love to attend and see the action!

You're not the only one who wishes there were more clubs up North! Our scene seems to be very much based around the midlands and south west at the moment....but you Northerners are welcome to get your local clubs racing micros :) :)

Thanks for the info.

Thats pretty cool, the rules are fairly easy to understand, is it possible to clarify one thing, I see no mention of weight, is there a limit or am I free to make it as heavy or light as possible?

XD I don't think I would race my mini T, with the 8000kv combo it goes everywhere on two wheels :) I think I would be looking at the 1/16th 4wd class.

Hey fella,

Our rulles state that all bodyshells used must not cover the wheels of the car (when viewed from above) so SC shells arent allowed as it stands.

Which SC is it? Could you fit a buggy shell onto it?

hello Mr c0sie

i wondered if the micro SC body shells if cut back to expose wheels would be allowed, it maybe classed as bending the rules a little, but would it solve the problem.

other note : good to see you around buddy and the micro scene going well, hope your breaking those micro's still and half killing them. omg carisma driver now, you did say years back one day you would be sponsored, grats and keep up the good work

hello Mr c0sie

i wondered if the micro SC body shells if cut back to expose wheels would be allowed, it maybe classed as bending the rules a little, but would it solve the problem.

other note : good to see you around buddy and the micro scene going well, hope your breaking those micro's still and half killing them. omg carisma driver now, you did say years back one day you would be sponsored, grats and keep up the good work

Hey Paul, long time no speak fella? Still micro'ing? lol

WRCA regional at Cardiff last Sunday :)

Where can one buy the GT14B Pro? I've seen the standard one but not a 'pro' model.

Hi, the GT14B Pro is a conversion kit for the current GT14B model. The conversion can be ordered from any LHS that deals with CML Distribution however I would strongly recommend www.tracksidespares.co.uk as they are the official shop for the BRCA Micro Section and know the micro scene inside out :)

If you look on eBay for "GT14B" at the moment there are at least 3 cars for sale that would make perfect donors for the conversion :)

Hope that helps?

Cris

Hi, the GT14B Pro is a conversion kit for the current GT14B model. The conversion can be ordered from any LHS that deals with CML Distribution however I would strongly recommend www.tracksidespares.co.uk as they are the official shop for the BRCA Micro Section and know the micro scene inside out :)

If you look on eBay for "GT14B" at the moment there are at least 3 cars for sale that would make perfect donors for the conversion :)

Hope that helps?

Cris

Cheers mate. Looks like the Carisma's been a massive success then since being launched? Are Carisma a Chinese company? I read somewhere they might be German. I can't seem to find an official site.

I recently bought a Carisma M14 Subaru to mess about with with my nephew. Anyone race those at all? They're only a budget car I know (60 quid) but just wondered. There are various race parts for them, shock, different motors etc.

Carisma are a company from Hongkong. They do have a site at www.matoys.com but its currently down as they rework their site for 2012.

There is a small but growing following of the on-road micro's emerging now, especially around the North-West(ish) region (Ellesmere Port and the surrounding areas).

As I say, its a small following but its a start. Most guys (if not all) are using the Carisma GT14 touring car :)

Anything else, just give me a shout :)

Hey Paul, long time no speak fella? Still micro'ing? lol

WRCA regional at Cardiff last Sunday :)

no buddy not micro'd since 2006. just came out of hospital, after suffering from a massive heart attack.

had one of the best coronary surgeons in east anglia (Dr Wistow ) shove a nice new stent into my right coronary artery.

have had to re-work my whole lifestyle, but i may one day return to the hobby. things have changed since the start of Microrc.co.uk. but i do pop and havea lookie now and again keep up with the micro side of the hobby.

good to see you still going strong and winning them races buddy, and omg a bigwig for BRCA you have done well. keep up the good work promoting the smaller scale

Cheers mate. Looks like the Carisma's been a massive success then since being launched? Are Carisma a Chinese company? I read somewhere they might be German. I can't seem to find an official site.

I recently bought a Carisma M14 Subaru to mess about with with my nephew. Anyone race those at all? They're only a budget car I know (60 quid) but just wondered. There are various race parts for them, shock, different motors etc.

even budget cars can do just as good, i think alot start out with the cheaper models and then start the road to upgrading and the more spec models. i know cris started out with the rc18t same as me and even had an X-ray micro, then i went and got one myself.

cheap is the way to go at first, easy to repair and less cost on the pocket. its not about winning but the taking part and enjoying the micro class machines.