• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Anybody running a Vader XB

Spriggan

be interested to get your opinions on the Toro/ 1717 combo, I have just upgraded to the castle 1717 but on stock esc. I was looking at the Toro esc but found mixed reviews of it.

What gearing are you using and what temps are you getting?

Ahh right..

Well as I said, my next battery purchase will be probably 5000 3s 40+c, The twin 6s in parallel gives a good run time, near 50 mins on stock motor in the park (not absolutely thrashing it of course), but the extra weight heats up the motor even the 1717 so it defeats the purpose when you need to limit run time to cool it down.

does your Toro have fan(s) on it?

Yes it does. What about 5800mah 45c Turnigy?

They should be fine depending on size..

I found the trays a bit of a pain, one of my 3s batteries will not lay flat in the tray and standing on its edge needs a lot of packing.. Luckily 2 of them just fits the width of the tray so I put two on one side but its not great balance wise.

I also drilled out new holes in the chassis to shorten the tray, one set of holes was too long by miles and the other was about 3mm too bloody short grrrr

The 5000 will give you a higher discharge of 200A constant and 250A peak for 10 secs.

They are both softpack so not sure if they would be allowed in a race - I only bash but I think organised races may require hardcase. Size wise they will not lay flat in the tray nor will you get two in one tray so you will need to do some fiddling about with packing or mod the trays to get them secured, not a massive task but be aware.

I did contemplate removing one side of the tray and rely on the velcro strap to secure batteries, at the moment though with my batteries I get away with two in one tray instead.

well its really a personal choice.. The ones you selected will be fine electrically  its just they won't fit without fiddling with the battery trays or packing them..

The ones I have which fit 2 in one tray are Zippy 3s 4000ma 40c soft packs.. They are OK but I would go 5000 40c or greater if I were buying now - they were originally bought for the quadcopter not the XB.

If you go with the turnigy 5000 or 5800 packs then you would need to get some fairly stiff foam to pack the space at the side of the battery or mod the tray to let them lay flat.

The length is not a problem, the trays should accommodate pretty much any length you are likely to encounter, the tray width is 48mm.. That means the battery needs to be 48mm or less wide to lay flat in the tray or 24mm or less thick to put two packs in one tray..

if you want to select a pack that will lay flat go to 

www.hobbyking.co.uk/hobbyking/store/lithium_polymer_battery_configuration.asp

and set Capacity 4000+, Discharge 35c, height( B ) to 0 to 48mm and select 3s 

Job done :D

If you want to go 2 packs in one side then set the width( C ) to 0 to 24mm instead of height

Edited by Louise-Paisley

I have two of that brand, never used them myself but they came with a second hand vader..

However, mine are smaller capacity and size and JUST fit in the trays flat - 50mm will not fit in flat and 30mm thick you won't get two in one tray.

the tray is 48mm wide, and you will not get a 49mm battery in it without modding it

No idea, I have not even tried charging the ones here, not sure on capacity but I suspect only about 3000 or 3500 (sticker peeled off)

It is a case of pay money and try really, or go with a known battery.. If you try them and they are ok then the rest of us will know when you report back :)