• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Looking for a new engine

Got out and gave it a tune today, struggled to get it to tune properly. It was bogging down after 2-3 secs at WOT at factory settings.(any ideas?).

I was using an OS8 plug and 20%fuel,decided to try the LRP plug that came with the engine and switch to 25%fuel and it seemed much better,but that was at the end of the session and I didnt get to test it fully,could the change of plug make that much difference?(I noticed that the LRP plug is slighty longer,does that make a difference?

Sorry for the questions,Im new to this.

cheers.

if the lrp plug is long than the engine will have more compression it needs 25% to bring out its best really as it is a powerful engine. the manual on the lrp website is great and it has the factory settings on it too.

cheers,I got a manual with the engine which has the factory settings in it.

I thought it may be the case that the plug would make a difference.

With the OS 8/20% I was basically having to richen from factory settings to get it to perform,which cant be right,can it?

i just don't think it liked being run with low % fuel and less compression i might have been ok with just one but i should be great now lrp engines are great.

just been out to give the tuning another crack. it seems like it is running really rich even at factory settings,the settings ive got in the manual are 3.75 turns out on the high and 3.75 turns out on the low,are these correct?

At WOT it starts to die(acting like its being starved of fuel).

Im running the engine on a Hyper 7 with a standard spur gear and ive put a 17tooth clutchbell on with hongnor shoes,is that ok?

Thanks.

Whats WOT? I ran another 3 tanks through mine yesterday and it was sluggish like yours but I put that down to how rich its running. I'm using 25% fuel so will tune it after another tank or so. That's why i fried my last engine as I had it set so lean for speed lol

my ansmann virus 2 with force 28 engine is suffering from dieing at full throttle to but itis runnin very rich at mo and have not yet finished break in period im hopin after a tune it will be sorted out.when my new air filter arrives that is i will let u know how i get on

my ansmann virus 2 with force 28 engine is suffering from dieing at full throttle to but itis runnin very rich at mo and have not yet finished break in period im hopin after a tune it will be sorted out.when my new air filter arrives that is i will let u know how i get on

Sounds like the same symptoms as mine.

Does it start to die off after 1-2 seconds of full throttle,and return to normal if you ease off the throttle?

sounds like exactly the same problem.

I ran 5 tanks through mine for break in,i followed the break in instructions.

Its a pretty frustrating as I managed to tune the Hyper .21 engine easily. This just seems way to rich at factory settings,but doesnt seem to want to tune at all.

I got the engine at the same time as a friend and he's having the same problem,its obviously something we're doing wrong,i just dont know what.

Scoured the internet and cant find any answers.

i know exactly wat u mean mate i did not get ne luck on the net i have only ran bout 2 and a half tanks through mine

i keep gettin issues like tires came of then my engine came losse now i ave lost my air filter waitin for a new one to get back out there

did u bench run your at tall i did one tank then was told to drive it around quarter throttle for next couple of tanks

then slowly progress up wit each tank

this is my first nitro model so it is a learmin curve for me

nitro engine can stay a bit tight for nearly 2 gallons of fuel sometimes. they should be fine when you start to lean them off a bit

i have not managed to get through a full tank yet without issuses comin up

i found it starts easier if i put a hair dryer on it for 10 mins put it down to bein extra cold down here at the mo

at wat point should i start to lean of and start my tune up

Ive got a 1/4 gal of 20% left,once thats gone I'll shift to 25%,will I need to shim the engine for the higher %?

Nope the .28 were shimmed at the factory for 25-30%, really you should have shimmed down for the 20% fuel...... I recommend opti-fuel or byrons both are great.

Thanks,just been out with the buggy. Been taking it fairly easy not to much full throttle. Took some temps and it was reading 230-240,the manual says this is ok but it seems pretty hot considering its at factory settings?

Hope I havent toasted the engine on my previous attempts at tuning.

Edited by sole101

Hi guys,just been out with the buggy again and it seems nothing has changed,cant get this to run well at all.

A friend and me bought the same engine at the same time and are both having the same problems. Today we ran both buggies and they were still bogging down at high speed,ive taken a video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UF5CpKf_1_k&list=UUpaYZHJ7h8t-UHYaKM_aHmQ&index=1&feature=plcp

they are both at factory settings on the needles and my friend recorded a temp of 322!!!!! mine was 255.

Could this be an air leak? Im all out of ideas.

Thanks for any help or ideas.