• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Needs some words of wisdom...

DAZMAN

I know after what i put i'm gonna prob sound like the worst noob on here ever but plz bear with me...

Ok i came here looking to start a new hobbie in RC and chose http://www.modelsport.co.uk/speed-passion-rs1-touring-car/rc-car-categories/1157/9900/990010&ChassisID=847 as my first choice as at this point i knew sweet FA really...

Then after some talking and advice chose http://www.wheelspinmodels.co.uk/i/86187/ ...

Now heres my dilema i thought about a on-road model as the attraction of hit the trigger and and watch the thing fly off into the distance would be cool (noob mistake i know) then i liked what i heard about drifting as its about skill and not speed but there is'nt really any locals..

Now dilema 2.. I have looked over these forums so much my eyes are ready to bleed.. so after reading for hour upon hours i get round to the Bashing & Meet Ups in the Information section and found that people closer to where i live are more into the off road scene which i do like as a m8 of mine used to own a 1/5 (learnt something at last) petrol off roader, and looked so much fun (never had a go as was a bit intimidating).. Now here comes the dilema, less then a minute drive from me i have huge wooded area surrounded in dirt tracks and less then 5min i have a choice of carparks that are ideal for speed racing or drifting..

Even though i'm taking up RC as my new hobbie now my kids are alsmost grown up, what i want from it is the chance to hook up with people the odd weekend and have fun doing something similar with like minded people, chatting slagging the wife's off and having a bit of fun to destress lol... Now i have talked to the wife about my dilema and as a loving wife i got 'so how much is that gonna cost' lol.

so i looked at http://www.modelsport.co.uk/traxxas-slash-4x4-mike-jenkins-ed.-/rc-car-products/34991 requires a bit more saving but this looks a beast...

So my plans are go off road then save up and later in the year buy a cheap 2nd hand on road car to play with...

Thoughts and suggestions welcome as i feel overwhelmed buy everything as seems there so much info to process..

The Slash is a great model, but you do know that the Maverick you looked at is also available as an offroader don't you? OK, its not as good as the Slash, but its half the price and more than enough to get you started.

Likewise Speed Passion do a rather nice truck too.

No need to jump straight in at the Slash deep-end!

Firestorm all day, my mate has a slash, and yes it's a tough truck, it just cant compete with the firestorm. when he wants to race me I just head for something scary and he brakes.

Firestorm everytime over a slash

Tougher out of box, the Firestorm need no hop ups at all to be bomb proof, just check out the NHB Bashers vids, we have 4 or 5 regularly run and they are always the last cars running :thumbsup:

yep, one of the best bashers going. end of :P and the Blitz :whistling: Edited by bulletflux 345

Dude, if you just want to meet and hook up with new people, have you considered Wife Swapping?

While it's good to see someone getting into RC... tell me you don't see what I'm seeing :P

I should have know you'd come up with something like this Budgetblown...

I will have a look at the firestorm but really do want 4x4, not into the jumping scene more the mud & gravel type of stuff.. i know there are some cheaper versions around as starter models but after talking and listening to people i have come to the decision that save a bit more - buy a descent model = better investment for me in the longterm....

That's true, you definitely get what you pay for in this hobby,

as for mud plugging, I've had it way past the roof, I had to go in after it, thought I'd lost if for a while, I was sunk to my knees.

• Like 1

That's true, you definitely get what you pay for in this hobby,

as for mud plugging, I've had it way past the roof, I had to go in after it, thought I'd lost if for a while, I was sunk to my knees.

LOL would have loved to have seen your face, bet it would have made a great You been Framed moment ...

DAZMAN - I was the same. I was set on an RS4 Nitro 3 at first, then the Sprint 2 or a TT01E build.. A lil fast road car with lots of noise.. I went for a drive around the local areas and spent hours pouring over posts on here to then change my mind and started looking at off-roaders. I looked at nitros then electric... the Traxxas, Bullet MT/ST and the Strada MT Evo S..

After a lot more reading up I went for the Firestom Flux! I think it is an awesome car and im really happy with my choice. It is 2wd and has less ground clearence than my sons Maverick MT Evo yes, but it seems to perform well on the 3 or 4 times Ive had it out so far. I was looking at running on mown grass, rough grass, asphalt, gravel on parklands, back garden and street outside my house so the lower ground clearence / 2wd didnt seem to bad choice for where im running. The 2011 FLUX goes like scalded cat on 3s LiPos out of the box as well :D

The Maverick MT is a pretty solid looking starter car, it seems very solid out of the box has everything your'd expect from an MT. I can imagine the brushless Evo S is the same. I can't wait to see my sons reaction when he opens it at Christmas!!

All I can say is reasearch away and go for the car / truck / buggy that is in your price range and ticks all your boxes. If you don't love your RC choice then you won't enjoy / bash / race as much. Good luck with the decision dude, I know its tough!!!

Cheers RobBloor, yeah its is hard to make your mind up with all the information at hand, seems everyone has something good and bad to say about every model... As for budget i think another month of saving so say march to buy my RC should give me at least

Slash is good, got my boy one a year ago, only thing he broke was a suspension arm ( flat out on 2s lipo and hit a park bench with the wheel so no suprise, RPM replacement arms only a tenner!) Only thing I would suggest replacing fairly quick is the tyres, stock ones don't have that much grip.