• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Removing old tyres! best method?

kingscott

I have 4 or 5 sets of great wheels now with bald/shot tyres I am looking to replace the tyres only to save a few quid.

Question is:

How do you remove old well glued on tyres? is there a magic method or just a case of spending time with a craft knife?

Its a shame just to throw the wheels/foams away when they are near perfect in condition!

What are your thoughts?

Cheers

Fastest method I know is to give them to someone with a brushless truck running 6S.....

on a more serious note...there are 4 main methods,

1) Boiling.

Drop them in a pan of hot water for a while, and bring it to the boil. Lots of Youtube vids showing exactly how to do this. The heat breaks down the superglue.

2) Baking.

Same theory, but different method of applying heat.

3) DeBonder.

You can by superglue debonder which basically dissolves the glue. Leaves them a lot cleaner than the other methods.

4) Acetone.

Pop them in a pan of acetone overnight and the glue will release.

Personally, I find the horrid smells of baking/boiling offputting. They also can soften the wheels, so you have to take care you don't distort the wheels when removing the tyres. Glue debonder is easier but more expensive. If you use the heat methods, take your time and wear gloves!

Hi.I use nail polish remover , It's cheaper than buying pure acetone:) .Put the tyres in a biscuit tin with some nail polish remover,place in the garden with the lid on.Do a spot check on the wheels first,some 'll turn to snot when you use acetone on 'em .

Been doing a lot of this lately and found the only way to remove them easily is to boil them for at least 30 mins sometimes longer, i have also been told that soaking in acetone can change the compound and make a soft compound harder.