• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Where and what shims do I need ...

DUBZN1

Thanks for you help on that Nate your a wealth of knowledge

All I asked for was a little pointer and help not some moron remark

I'm struggling as it is

Is it a hyper 7 diff ? It's own diff ?

I haven't got a clue what I'm doing but willing to give it a go and my best to make it as tough as possible so any pointers would be helpful at the mo

Thanks

i have a feeling most 1/8 shims are roughly the same size, im not sure. just to help us out a bit, would it be possible to measure the current shims on the diff, if there is any that is. if not then it will help a little if you measured the part where the shims have to be slotted onto :good:

shim-diff-erevo.png its a bit small but that shows where the shim should be placed, so if you could measure the diameter of that, im sure we can sort something out for you :)

Hope it helps, cant wait to see it running again :D

Cheers,

Cam

indeed....hope he never needs advice...

anyway Ash...nice guide to shimming diffs here... http://ofnaracingnitrotalkback.yuku.com/forum/viewtopic/id/3978

i'd say there are a good few vids on youtube too.

I'll measure the ones I have and see what they are...im pretty sure they will be the same size as the ones you need.

• Like 1

First off, it helps to know why you are doing the job.

There are two places I shim....once is the bearings on the outside of the diff. This controls left/ight positioning of hte diff so you get good mesh. You need to have the shims diff side of the bearing. The inner diamter of shim ( the size of the hole) needs to match that of hte inside hole of the bearing. The shim should be in contact with the inner race of the bearing but not the outer. If it is too large and pushes on the outer race of hte bearing it will cause friction and major problems. So...the diff bearing gives you the measurements you need for a shim.

The second area is hte pinion. This controls the fore/aft mesh of the gears. If the pinion can move away from teh ring gear, you reduce the overlap and hence the mesh is off. Shimms between the head of hte pinion and the bearing will move it out and take up any slop. Again...the shim must fit over te hshaft of the pinion, but not be so big that they rub on the outer bearing race.

Couldn't tell you the exact sizes as I don;t have a pirate diff to go on....but if you look up the bearing sizes for the diff and pinion, that should give you a starting point to work from. Bearing sizes quote inner diamter, outer diameter and thickness...the first two will tell you all you need to know :)

• Like 1

Gee thanks guys

I'm quite excited to have a go at this

Bot of a task but if you're building a hungry monster , that's what we have to do

Chris as soon as you know the size of the shim , will model sport sell them ?

thank you mr nitroholic

You guts are ace ! Apart from the baked bean counter with the nasty comments

Really appreciate you understanding my life issues with going partially blind

Dam thing needs a wheelie bar

I fell out with it , I love it again hehe

Top notch info. I was looking for something like this to fill in the holes I don't know about shimming. Between Nitroholic's guide to actually finding the size of shims you will need to buy for whatever model you own, based off the measurements of the bearings, And the link barnetbasher provided covers the method and desired goals of the process itself This thread covers it all, Should be stickied really as the diff shimming info starting point X-)

But if anyone ever asks about anything shim related a link to this thread will cover everything they need to know about the subject :-)

Edited by GorillaZilla

Every healthy monster truck is going to want a wheelie bar sooner or later :)

I run homemade ones on both my trucks that I made up out of the remains of some roller things for moving a fridge! Not the prettiest things on this earth...but they work! Not sure what's available for your truck, but as a last resort, barnetbasher has a simple nylon rod design hooked up to his Truckenstein that does the job.

shim size i use is 14mmx17mm by the looks of it...

mine sit in the diff casing to make the whole diff assembly sit higher so it meshes closer to the pinion.

i did a quick google search but didnt find anyone with any in stock.

might be worth phoning modelsport . they do shim packs but dont give sizes. :whistling:

Every healthy monster truck is going to want a wheelie bar sooner or later :)

I run homemade ones on both my trucks that I made up out of the remains of some roller things for moving a fridge! Not the prettiest things on this earth...but they work! Not sure what's available for your truck, but as a last resort, barnetbasher has a simple nylon rod design hooked up to his Truckenstein that does the job.

just refitted my WB to the new chassis...

its really simple..it drops down out of the way when not in use..so if i cartwheel it wont snap off...

once the front pops up...it's pushed upwards and is stopped by the crossmember that is bolted to the TVPs..

if your monster runs the same chassis setup it could work.

I've not seen it though so im just guessing.

PS nylon rod is available online for only a few quid for about 4 feet. just google it.

Its very very tough but not brittle.

Image036-1.jpg

one bolt attaches wheelie bar, body post and shock mount

Image041-1.jpg

Looks neat and tidy :)

Does put a bit of load on that one bolt though....turns it into what my old man would refer to as a 'Jesus Bolt'

Apparantly this is Fleet Air Arm parlance for a critical fastener. For them, if that bolt fails...Jesus' is the next face you are going to see :)

• Like 1

ah..but i think i have allowed for that...the bolt is only taking stress from the shock mount...and that is theaded..so ive only made the bolt length go halfway along the shock mount, which is tightened back up againts a nut just the other side of the chassis plate.

Bodypost and wheelie bar should both absorb a fair amount of stress as they are both flexible.

My bad spelling sorry chaps

Nitroholic , not yet

It's me that's back in hospital as my right eye is completely blind

Gutted =(

they might be able to save something

I was upset about something totally different and decided to treat myself with some of those security locking body pins as I've lost 3 tonight and I've lost count in total ha

Bad times

• 2 weeks later...