• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Cleaning tips?

Gymbal

Lo peeps

Anyone got any tips on products or procedures to get a truggy PROPER clean? After last weekends bash I got it home, sat it on draining board and went over with soapy water and a toothbrush. But once it dried it still looked filthy <_< just covered in dry mud instead of wet. Especially in all the crevices of he chassis and suspension.

So what do you guys use to get it back to showroom condition? Any top tips? Have just picked up a can of nitro cleaner which I'll try after next bashing.

Any tips gratefully received!

Cheers

Rob

Great stuff, thanks guys. Just picked up some GT 85 from Halfrauds so gonna give it blitz tonight and then GT it up :thumbsup:

Have to say I'm not overly impressed with Fastrax nitro cleaner. All it seemed to remove was loose dirt. Certainly not the grime buster it claims to be.

If I drop it in the shower, do I need to re-lube anything after?

Cheers for the tips

Rob

thing is, when you put it in the shower, you then have to take it apart and regrease the diffs and bearings, or they will go rusty

I've been washing down my cars in the shower or a hose pipe for years, and I've never had rusty bearings. They should have grease in them, which repels water to some extent. Also, just avoid spraying water onto the bearings too much. Besides, they are very cheap to replace anyway.

What I do with my cars is pop em in the shower, scrub down with tooth brush, let them dry and spray with GT-85 and use a toothbrush to get to the tighter bits. Comes out like new.

When I can be bothered I will strip it down, refill diffs, replace any bearings that need it and get all the crap out from inside parts the shower misses :good:

Have to say I'm not overly impressed with Fastrax nitro cleaner. All it seemed to remove was loose dirt. Certainly not the grime buster it claims to be.

It's more of a grease remover rather than an actual cleaner. Brilliant at cleaning old oil / grease out of diffs and shocks but that's about it.

As for cleaning a car, I do the same as the guys above, remove engine and electrics tray then bung it in the shower allow to dry then GT85. Job done!

Strip off electrics and. Cover im "Muck off" its awsom for geting rid of oily crap and dirt, as its a mtb cleaner its tire friendly..... Smells nice to :)

I keep a watered down spray bottle of it in my kit bag for quick cleans and a 1ltr for strip down clean.

Btw you can get it in halfords

• Like 2

I use small karcher hand held steam cleaner, obviously its just hot steam presure but it does blast the dirt from all the hard places, without having to dismantle after every run.

• Like 1

Strip off electrics and. Cover im "Muck off" its awsom for geting rid of oily crap and dirt, as its a mtb cleaner its tire friendly..... Smells nice to :)

I keep a watered down spray bottle of it in my kit bag for quick cleans and a 1ltr for strip down clean.

Btw you can get it in halfords

I was looking at this on Sunday, but wondered how plastic friendly it was

• 5 months later...

i know you guys have said "shower" i have an old 80 liter bin wich is doing nuthing, mum has bar'd me from using the shower :( so what i was thinking, could i use that bin as a "bath" insteasd of the shower? i mean will i have to regreas the bearings too if i did it this way ?

there is really no substitution for a full strip down...

I wouldnt want to "dunk" the car.... you risk filling diff cases with water, destroying bearings and generally getting water where you dont want water :P

if its dusty, dust it off... if its mucky strip it down :)