• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

First time buyers need a little help...

Dazz

Hi guys, first timer here so apologies in advance for any noob questions.

My son and I have recently developed an interest in RC models and are looking to buy our first semi-serious RC cars for christmas.

So far the FTX Vantage Brushed Edition has sparked our interest due to being all inclusive ( car, battery, controller and charger ), some of the others haven't stated this so don't know if this is the norm.

Now...first question...

Is The FTX Vantage Brushed Edition a good starter car? Our budget max £130 each.

Regarding the FTX Vantage Brushed Edition if we were to buy two would we have a problem with radio channel conflict?

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Edited by Dazz

not really had any use of the ftx range of cars but it looks ok for the money but i would recommend some better batterys as you wont get a long runtime with the one supplied and you might have to wait atleast 6-12 hours for it to charge with the supplied charger from what i saw on the ms site .

as for the radio conflict you just change the crystals to differnet frequency ones so no probs there but they might come with two differenet frequencys from the start already.

Hi

The FTX stuff is at the lower end of the market price wise. I've just bought a FTX Edge Brushless. It's fast and fun. I had to adjust the front wheel toe in as one wheel was pointing outwards by a long way. This was easily sorted over the phone with advice from Modelsport. I also lost a wheel on the first run, so it's worth checking the model over before your first run.

The FTX Vantage Brushed you are looking at says it come with 2 diff sets of crystals, so you should be ok if you bought two cars, and can make sure you aren't on the same ones. My Edge is 2.4GHZ so I don't need to worry about that.

My car comes with a small capacity lipo battery.The charger takes about 3 or 4 hours to charge it. I have bought a bigger battery and will get a fast charger when I can afford it.

I nearly went for a Vantage but fancied 2WD rather than 4WD. So far I'm impressed but it's not had many runs so we'll see how long it lasts. I'd go for the brushless personally as the extra speed is fun.

Hope this helps.

Edited by Evo_ermine

Thanks for your replies guys.

We're lookin at the FTX Vantage Brushless Edition now, it is above our initial budget but it comes with the Lipo battery which we were considering upgrading to at a later date. Although as this will be our first semi serious RC car which is going to be mainly used in the garden ( very big garden ) and down the local park not for any serious racing are we going over the top for what we are going to be using them for.

Thanks again for all your help.

No, brushless isn't OTT for bashing. In fact you'll have twice the fun and, sadly, end up spending twice as much money chasing the fun - like any addict :xd:

Looking at the FTX Vantage Brushless Edition it doesn't say whether it comes with spare crystals or am I a complete newb and have misunderstood.

I was looking at the ftx vantage and it seemed a good car, especialy as i wanted 4wd as the surface i use is very bumpy. However i changed my mind and shelled out more for a barely used 2nd hand ansmann virus brushless. I would have got the Vantage, but there was a lack of spares or hopups on the web ( or was i just being a derp ) and there didnt seem to be an FTX website selling cars. also if you are gong to buy 2 i would buy 2 different cars of the same specs because then racing them is more fun!

I was looking at the ftx vantage and it seemed a good car, especialy as i wanted 4wd as the surface i use is very bumpy. However i changed my mind and shelled out more for a barely used 2nd hand ansmann virus brushless. I would have got the Vantage, but there was a lack of spares or hopups on the web ( or was i just being a derp ) and there didnt seem to be an FTX website selling cars. also if you are gong to buy 2 i would buy 2 different cars of the same specs because then racing them is more fun!

FTX are distributed by CML Distribution and their website lists all FTX cars. http://www.cmldistribution.co.uk/

Modelsport got me some spares out for my just released FTX Edge in about 5 days which was pretty good as they didn't have them in stock as the car was newly released. I think you can also buy direct from CML but I'm not sure. I guess CML sent them to MS and they sent them to me so 5 days was fair enough.

My car comes with a small capacity lipo battery.The charger takes about 3 or 4 hours to charge it. I have bought a bigger battery and will get a fast charger when I can afford it.

How long did the original Voltz 2500mah last once it was fully charged?

What was the bigger battery you got, and are you able to us the originally supplied charger on it?

Sorry for all the newb question fella.

How long did the original Voltz 2500mah last once it was fully charged?

What was the bigger battery you got, and are you able to us the originally supplied charger on it?

Sorry for all the newb question fella.

No worries Dazz it's fine.

The original Voltz 2500mah lasted maybe 15 mins or so. The second time I used it it seemed to last longer so maybe after a few runs batteries improve, not sure. The second battery I have bought it this: http://www.modelspor...-products/38675

It's not a hardcase one but MS told me it should be fine and indeed it fits easily into the battery compartment. There is a smaller capacity Overlander hardcase one available though if you think you need hardcase. Think it's 3250mah.

Yes I can use the originally supplied charger. It takes about 6 hours or more to charge as it's bigger capacity than than the original one. Seems fine so far. The charger supplied only charges at a fixed 850mah so is slow. My priority is a faster charger next, but I now have 2 lipo battery packs so that gives quite a lot of playing time.

Basically if you want to choose a new battery via the Modelsport website, its easy to narrow down the option via the list on the left. Choose battery packs, then lipo, then Deans connector (assuming you need a deans, my FTX uses Deans connectors), then 7.4v (assuming you want 2S, 11.1 if you want 3S, but i was advised to stick to 2S for mine). You are left with the options. Overlanders seem good value and 3900mah for 28quid seemed good to me.

Edited by Evo_ermine

• 2 weeks later...

Ok Guys, Going to get a better charger for the LiPo's and have whittled it down to these three....

Orion Advantage IQ605 AC/DC Charger

http://www.modelsport.co.uk/orion-advantage-iq605-ac-dc-charger/rc-car-products/36851

Core RC UAC50 Charger 12v/110-240v 6A

http://www.modelsport.co.uk/core-rc-uac50-charger-12v-110-240v-6a/rc-car-products/365880

Ansmann Racing xBase 2.0 Deluxe

http://www.modelsport.co.uk/ansmann-racing-xbase-2.0-deluxe/rc-car-products/38403

Gonna also get a couple of decent size LiPo's so would like an all in one charger/ballancer. Any recommendations will be much appreciated also.

Thank you

Gorillazilla's selling a couple of big old lipos on here mate, they might not fit without some light modding but they'll last ages

Ok Guys, Going to get a better charger for the LiPo's and have whittled it down to these three....

Orion Advantage IQ605 AC/DC Charger

http://www.modelspor...-products/36851

Core RC UAC50 Charger 12v/110-240v 6A

http://www.modelspor...products/365880

Ansmann Racing xBase 2.0 Deluxe

http://www.modelspor...-products/38403

Gonna also get a couple of decent size LiPo's so would like an all in one charger/ballancer. Any recommendations will be much appreciated also.

Thank you

Anyone!!! pls.