• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

1/8th Truggy Tyre Choices?

rscott4563

Right I'm in need of some help/info regarding my tyre and even wheel choices for my HPI Trophy Truggy 4.6 as I'm struggling a bit with lack of information out there and a lot of incorrect info as well...

First thing is the size of the wheels, I've got the standard 7 Spoke Chrome wheels that come with the Truggy and I've measured them and they are approximately 4" across and 2" in width. Now this is a bit odd as almost all of the info out there seems to go on about Truggy wheels being 3.2" and 3.8", so what's the crack? Are the Trophy wheels 4" or a very generous 3.8" and is this a standard? If so why are all the wheels and tyres I come across for Truggys generally 3.2"?

I've currently got the HPI Shredder tyres on but am looking for something a bit more suited to off road use (grass, mud etc). The Proline Badlands seem to be well regarded but when looking at the 3.8" version they have massive side-walls and I was hoping for something more low profile but with a decent tread as wont a 3.8" tyre with a large side-wall end up being too big for a Truggy and more suited to a MT? Can you get low profile off road 3.8-4.0" tyres?

Or is it the case that the 3.8-4.0" wheels on the Trophy Truggy are a bit of an anomaly and actually I should be looking at getting some 3.2" wheels and using tyres made for them which have a much larger side-wall such as the HPI Aggressor Tyres (#4892)?

Also if I should go for a 3.2" wheel tyre combo what's happened to the Badlands in a 3.2" fitment??

Cheers

Ryan

I know how confusing this can be...and I amstill not 100% sure when it comes to wheels and tyres for my Truggy.

Just for comparison, my TT ST-1 wheels and tyres are ...when compared to aset for a Savage....about hte same size! I ws thinking of actually fitting a set onto mine though I would need axle extenders to give me the correct offset. When you compare like to like, the diameter is almost the same with the truck tyres being a bit wider.

3.8" would be prety wide. You are in the realm of proper MT tyres here. I run 40 series on my trucks, and those rims are a bit OTT for a truggy. As you have already noticed, large sized tyres tend to be assumed as truck tyres and are built accordingly. I do have some 40 series tyres with very low profile...but the offset is VERY wrong for a truggy. I don't think you can get these tyres anywhere now though. Proline has trimmed back it's range somewhat.

I want to change the wheels and tyres on mine, but just haven't been able to find what I need. 17mm hex half offset wheels are what I want...so I can ditch the chrome ones that unglue too easy... and some nice wide grippy tyres. Will be intresting to see what gets suggested, as Truggy tyres seem to be a bit short on options.

Thanks for the input, your not wrong it certainly is a mine field out there! I wish there was a little bit more clear info available, even when looking on ModelSport or Wheelspin many of the wheels or tyres listed either don't have any dimensional information or what they do have is incorrect!

Just to clarify when I was talking about the size and I said 3.8" I'm referring to the diameter of the wheel not the width.

Cheers,

Ryan

• Like 1

3.8 - 4.0 are std size and most tyres fit. If you want truggy tyres there is only one choice and that is XTM grinders they fit great on 4.0 wheels and track your ride staighter and have enormous grip and great mud clearence.

Well...I finally sorted my truggy tyre dilemma...

I picked up aset of HPI Savage wheels wioth DirtBonez tyres off Dirtyhabitz a while back. I had intended to fit them to my Kyosho truck until I discovered all sorts of offset issues and that basically..I couldn;t easily make them fit without spending a lod of cash on bits I didn't have and also the Kyosho wheels and tyres were quite a lot bigger....so I shelved that idea.

So...there I was...nice set of wheels and tyres.....sitting on the shelf useless for the project I had bought them for ( these things happen....)

Aha...I thought. The ST-1. Sized them up, and the truggy wheels are virtually identical in diameter, and the truck wheels are wider. Great. No.

They didn;t fit. Teh HPI wheels have the wrong offset. Zero offset wheels....so they were about 15mm too far in to clear the suspension arms and allow for steering. And steering is important. Really.

Enter 1 set of 15mm extended hubs from HongNor. Silly money and good kit. Needed the have the holes relieved slightly to fit the 3mm pin on the ST-1, but on they went and the offset was now perfect.

Job done. I got wider wheels for better traction and I can now fit any truck/truggy wheels with zero offset. Truggy ones are usually 3.2's and truck 3.8's I think. As long as I stick with the lower profile truck tyres, I am happy with that.