• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

THE E-Firestorm Thread

Oops. Disintegrated a rear wheel bearing tearing up and down the closed Olympic cycle route jumping speed bumps. Hope new bearings arrive in time for the weekend or I'll have a rather wobily wheel!

• Like 1

Had some good fun tonight on a half-tarmac, half-dirt and gravel car park. :)

Fun ended though with the motor not driving the wheels again. First thought was that the pinion might have slipped again, but I did suspect from the noise it was making right at the end that it might be something else.

I was right. Teeth stripped from the spur gear. I think this has only happened because of the previous occasion when the pinion moved as the grub screw wasn't tight enough. I knew that a little bit had been stripped from all the spur gear teeth on that occasion, so not surprised they were therefore weakened.

Anyway - so I need a new spur gear.

I think the standard part is this one:

http://www.modelspor...-products/29419

But should I be looking at an upgrade part? Something more reliable perhaps? Without any real knowledge on the subject, it struck me as an obvious flaw, a metal gear contacting a plastic one. On the other hand, is this a deliberate designed fail point to avoid damage to something more expensive?

Edited by bazzabear

I don't even know what that means! :D

I seem to have set myself on a bit of a spending spree. Just so I didn't feel like the postage cost was a waste, I've also ordered:

2 sets of the uprated springs suggested in the first post of this thread (hope I'm right that a set is 2, and I need them front and back!)

More body clips.

Body clip holders

Shock oil (40wt)

Some of those red silicone O-rings. (Can't help feeling they'll be easily lost or mangled.)

Got thge replacement spur gear, so was replacing it and meshing - noticed that the resistance on one of the bolts you adjust to mesh didn't feel right. fully undid it, and I was right - it's threaded the screw hole.

Now this screwhole is directly into the motor I think, so that's an expensive bit of threading if it means I need another one!

Any other options?

Will the remaining screw happily hold it still on its own?

Any way to re-thread it?

I've put it back with a dab of threadlock for now - but it's not convincing.

Done 4 sets of holes until now .

The bolts are carp i have found . I just put 2 traxxas screws in and all the holes worked again .

This isn't because of the HPI bolts... Just because the new bolts are Traxxas doesn't mean they fix things, they will have to be bigger for them to actually tap a thread into the hole and be able to stay there. A bigger HPI bolt would've done the same thing.

Brought some of the beach with me today, albeit on my storm which just loved being driven at high velocity around in the sand. the more i use this truck (owned it about a year) the more i love it.

51611faa-be9f-63ac.jpg

51611faa-beb7-e14f.jpg

Now for its very first clean up!!!:D

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2