• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

*Losi LST & XXL Owners Club*

dtokez

I'm trying to replace a bent drive shaft/dog bone. But cannot shift this pin from the hub to release the shaft.
What am I missing ?

Have you removed the grub screw from inside the axle? If not, and you do, it'll make life a whole lot easier.

Tom

Edited by Tommygunn

• 2 weeks later...

Man, still waiting for my motor mount. I've been told it will be ready for me next week.. Fingers crossed! 

So I've had both pinions delivered....getting itchy fingers to start building! 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Got a call to say my mount is finally ready!! (would have been quicker from the states) lol 

However, I'm not in that office till Tuesday. So fingers crossed its made all correctly!!

Getting excited! Shame summer has gone now, not sure when I'll get to go out with it!

Definitely...so far got some basic pics of a stripped out chassis. Was hoping this was gonna be a quicker build and do one post on it all..but its been dragged out!

• 3 weeks later...

Right...think its time for me to update with my build progess!!

Thanks to all for advice and help!

Not taken out yet...but a quick blip in the living room..and it looks sweet!

So this is how it started off...

9FMC7R

Under the shell..

ba5BKZ

Fuel Tank gone

Q2NkcL

Engine out and new gearbox to replace the 2 speed shown below. I bought this ages ago as fwd only coversion, but never bothered.

6KAMxc

New Spur is only 59T

Nzyo17

Throttle and reverse servos out..

4cg57G

Battery I'm going to use...

ptpg7Y

Rough test fit of location..

79ZAws

For my powerplant, I got this from AliExpress:

TXWqvn

Lovely black box arrived..

1YKKvo

Containing these items..

ddqLjD

No decent images of contents here...as forgot.

This was as far as I could go, as the guys are work were still making and sourcing my mount!!

Anyway, the day finally arrived when it was ready..

CZ4ZAc

6PjYdE

1gRj8s

qFz8Gk

Needless to say...I was very impressed and happy!!! It only cost me two 1TB USB drives I had knocking around!

So that was fitted with the new gearbox and the tini spur

bCZ4JY

Then I had to build the battery box..I bought a sheet of aluminium off ebay for £1.50

h7asGz

Trimmed it down with the help of a blade and a dremel..

Qm3APT

Few knocks of a rubber mallet and some pliers...

HGg1mM

Test fiting the battery, I did smooth the edges with sandpaper so no sharp bits...

7qqT9w

Rough mock up of the layout with ESC, motor and battery...

PrK55X

Fully installed the box with straps and meshed my pinion and spur...

PCFXhZ

As you can see...the New Era Roll Bar no longer fits!

usYJjv

This is going to be a summer project to refit it and most like get rid of the receiver box and move the battery higher and more to the front..

Little video of it running :)

Cheers everyone for their help and advice...esp to Tommygunn as this build was based on his truck!

Vimto,

Nice one!

Apologies, I forgot to get the bolt sizes as I got distracted with building a new computer etc etc.

Considering the thickness of my motor mount, I will say that I thought that yours would have been similar. Is it aluminium or stainless?

Tom.

Now, I have a question.

The wire link that ties the two sides of the steering together, is it really necessary?

At the moment, it is, as I have done the single servo mod with a 20Kg servo but I´m not happy with the performance. Therefore, I am going to go back to two servos, both rated at 20Kg.

So, is the link really needed? I get that it possibly acts as a redundancy if one servo fails, then the other one could get you back home but, apart from that, is it superfluous?

Tom.

On 26/09/2017 at 10:48, Hegs44 said:

Hi all.
I'm trying to replace a bent drive shaft/dog bone. But cannot shift this pin from the hub to release the shaft.
What am I missing ?
All usual methods of violence, brute force and swearing have been tried and failed.
Ta

7eed214b42f54e0b84805b562ce66a5c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is there a grub screw you need to release from the middle of the axle ?.

2 hours ago, Tommygunn said:

Vimto,

Nice one!

Apologies, I forgot to get the bolt sizes as I got distracted with building a new computer etc etc.

Considering the thickness of my motor mount, I will say that I thought that yours would have been similar. Is it aluminium or stainless?

Tom.

Cheers Tom. The mount I have is from Stainless Steel so really tough. I'm sure if it was allow it would have been weaker. 

2 hours ago, Tommygunn said:

Now, I have a question.

The wire link that ties the two sides of the steering together, is it really necessary?

At the moment, it is, as I have done the single servo mod with a 20Kg servo but I´m not happy with the performance. Therefore, I am going to go back to two servos, both rated at 20Kg.

So, is the link really needed? I get that it possibly acts as a redundancy if one servo fails, then the other one could get you back home but, apart from that, is it superfluous?

Tom.

Are you still using servo savers? And why would you want to remove it? 

I thought it helps keep the turning in unison also and if one wheels turns lightly it can transfer the torque to the other wheel. 

I am using a servo saver, yes, it's a Kimbrough Large/Heavy duty. The change is also needed because the spline of the Power HD LF-20MG servo is not a match for the stock savers.

The reason I was thinking of removing it, if it is inconsequential, is that if the servos are slightly out of true with each other and are fighting then this would put a stop to it.

Of course, I'm banking on both servos being up to par and doing their job, which they should do.

Tom.

Edited by Tommygunn

Hmm, I would be reluctant to remove the bar unless both my servos were perfectly true...also not liking the idea that both sides are not linked at all.

I've even gone as far as buying the BAC's steering link as to improve the steering...just not got round to fitting it. 

• 2 months later...

Hi all, 

So after months of great bashing with my last xxl2-e finally the gods caught up with me.. Skidded at full tilt in the park on grass and hit a lamp post for the 3g pitch. Wrapped itself up on one side. Body bent, all front suspension and surrounding parts snapped. The force bent the ally body, snapped battery compartment, ESC cover and so on.. Yes the perfect storm of a collision. I have lots of but would like to know if there is a UK supplier.. or 2nd hand source. Yes I have properly ****ked it, but i already had extra chassis, suspensions front and rear, motor fine, but its things like the the clutch inner cover, many diff bearings that have popped. 

Any help gratefully appreciated. 

Ta Hegs

When I trashed mine, the only place who had stock was DMS racing. Some stuff they had to order which took a while due to losi offices moving to Germany. 

But still best place to get bits! 

According to my XXL manual which should have the same bearings in the diffs... it requires:

LOSA6942 8 x 16mm Sealed Ball Bearings (4)....................................... $9.99

http://www.losi.com/ProdInfo/Files/LSTXXLManual.pdf

Edited by vimto2000

Definitely a good place to get them, and the guy (Colin) is really helpful. If you send him the manual, he can knock up a set with a discounted price to change all the bearings in the Losi.

Done this with my FTX's.