• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

*Losi LST & XXL Owners Club*

dtokez

some thing is defo not right there ! :(

Yeah i don't know what i am doing :rofl:

In the manual it shows there should be shims behind the small bevel gears but when i stripped them down the first time to change from grease to oil there wasn't any shims in the diff :confused:

Cannot work out what i have done wrong..... The front diff has been fine. I stripped down and rebuilt both diffs twice, and twice the rear has ate itself ! Really feel disheartened :(

Don't know what to do now, i need :helpsmilie:

eh up lads...

are these trucks imperial or metric screws???

and whats the difference between the lst, lst 2 and the lst xxl???

cheers...

Difference between LST/LST2 Here

LST2 / XXL...the XXL chassis is 3cm longer,so different chassis rails, has HD diff's already (or supposed to), longer CVD's, but as an electric guy I couldnt tell you about the engine etc. Sure some one else will jump in with more differences but thats the main ones I can think of.

Yeah i don't know what i am doing :rofl:

In the manual it shows there should be shims behind the small bevel gears but when i stripped them down the first time to change from grease to oil there wasn't any shims in the diff :confused:

Cannot work out what i have done wrong..... The front diff has been fine. I stripped down and rebuilt both diffs twice, and twice the rear has ate itself ! Really feel disheartened :(

Don't know what to do now, i need :helpsmilie:

Danny mate, I cant figure out whats going on with your rear diff, I've taken 4 diffs apart form 2 LST2's and not found any shims behind the bevel gears...but I think one of These has to be worth a try now fella :good:

Hi Danny... Gutted about your problem with the diff mate. Dont you think its a faulty diff... I'm new to this but has been taking airsoft gearboxes apart for years. If its constantly breaking something, its either replace all the internal parts as one of them may be deffective or just replace to whole diff. I got one from the states complete with half of the drive shaft and both outdrives for 18 quid including shipping.

78 I don't know what is going on.....? Its very frustrating. I don't want to rebuild again and it do the same. Think i will just set fire to it!

EDIT: Mulds i did replace all the internal gears as the sun gears were flat and bevels were chipped etc. Maybe a whole replacement is the answer. There is some on Egay atm so will keep an eye on them :good: Would really like to know whats happened tho :confused:

Edited by DannyP

I know the frustration, I travelled over an hour to one NLB meet only for my rear diff to go within 2 minutes...:banghead:

Nah no fire...between the guys on here we should be able to get the problem solved :thumbsup:

I'm scouting the LSTForum to see if theres any info on there regarding the problem your having..I'll put anything I can find useful on here

Yeah Mulds its just the rear mate. Front has had no issues. I have been running 50k front and 30k rear but i doubt it has anything to do with that, has it...... :whistling:

Do run it on concrete a lot??? I read something about some guys breaking diffs due to running fast on high grip surfaces.

EDIT... Can someone please answer my question about the integy lst air filter. CHEERS!!!

Edited by Mulds

i know how you feel danny, its not nice at all specialy when you do not know what is causing it :( well for now why dont you put the front diff in the rear and see if the same happens? if it does then the problem lies deeper than the diff :(

I cannot believe this!!!!!!!!! So i finally could be bothered to look at the rear diff on the XXL and found this

:o

DiffCompOutdrive.jpg

SnappedOutdrive.jpg

OutdrivePin.jpg

The good bit

DiffOpen.jpg

OutdriveInSunGear.jpg

All gears are fine :good:

The awsome thing is, i have these

HDOutdrives.jpg

Sorry if i wasted peoples time :blush: Because i lost rear wheel drive and was crunching like i spun the rear wheels i thought that the same happened again!

Does the XXL come with the Eight reinforced diff cases that Chris linked?

Danny I would try rebuilding using the shims, if it's too tight then remove as and when.

@ Josh

Sorry it took so long dude, had to dig the XXL Muggified LST Roller out of my RC cupboard...... :whistling:

DSC00176.jpg

DSC00179.jpg

DSC00181.jpg

DSC00184.jpg

Hope that helps mate. :)

Oh one final thing though and I had forgotten this until now, the hole in the hex for the hex pin is too small for the LST's pins so the hex will need drilling out to 1/8".

EDIT- Obviously danny's post above answers my first question. :P

Edited by JayJ

Does the XXL come with the Eight reinforced diff cases that Chris linked?

I don't think they do because i have a HD Diff Case here and the part number is different to the XXL case. Look the same grade material tbh :lol: I will rebuild using the HD Outdrives and Diff Case and see what happens....

Whats your opinion's on my choice of diff oil 50k front and 30k rear. I do like the way i handles and feels with this setup but wonder if its causing my problem..... Hmmmmm

Those stock outdrives do break quite easily tbh, a weak link in the Losi diffs IMO. The diff cases are also a weak link in the LST2 but looks to have been rectified in the XXL. :good:

The set up depends on how you drive and what feels good to you, I run 30/30 but that just the set up I prefer. Might try 50/30 next time my diffs need a service or rebuild, whichever comes first.

Edited by JayJ

guess you've put the matches away ;)

:rofl: Yeah, for now anyway :rofl:

WOW! Thats really bad! :confused: Mine is like a straight snap. That is like it has just crumbled, looks to be very poor materials :boo:

Wonder if my sun and bevel gears were made in the same batch :P

Lol..:lol:

I was shocked when I first saw the one on LSTForum, but even more when I saw your's Danny...shows there has been some poor quality materials used in a batch of XXL diffs. Only one way to find out if sun and bevel gears are made from the same thing..BASH :D