• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Rudeboy's DBXL Brushless Conversion

rudeboy

Hey folks, my DBXL arrived today, picked it up second hand with the plan of doing a brushless conversion,

First thing done though was a vinyl wrap, not keen on the stock paint scheme so here's how it looks now,

IMG_2040_zpsf41f9716.jpg

IMG_2029_zps7b95646a.jpg

I've already ordered this conversion kit

http://kershawdesigns.com/LosiDBXL-BrushlessConversion.htm

LosiDesertBuggy-InstalledHD_zpsfaeecc48.

But just the kit no motor or esc, looking at getting this Alien ESC

http://alienpowersystem.com/shop/car-esc/alien-350a-3-16s-sport2-car-esc-hv/

Still undecided on which motor to go for though, obvious choice would be the castle 2028 but any other out thereworth looking at? I already own lots of 4S and 6S Lipos for my multirotors so can either go with an 8S set up or a 12S set up,

Also ordered up some Silverback RC wheels and beadlocks and plan running hostile MX tyres, other parts will just get upgraded/replaced as they break.

I'm in no way new to large scale and have owned several baja's, FG's and an MCD over the years just been out of RC cars for a few years and concentrated more on my FPV kit, still own one of my baja's which gets a little run every now and then.

DSC00693.jpg

• Like 2

Very cool both baja and losi. The wrap is very good how'd you get the wrap so tight in the grooves? Ive seen a video saying to pre strech the stuff then it will feel more like cling film and be much easier to apply. Is this how you did this.

Do you think you could wrap a baja light pod? if that can be done then anything can i think but i don't have a heat gun to try it.

The losi looks good the kershaw stuff looks high tech high quality ive looked them up on their revo stuff and sound very good. I do think anything less than a castle coke can would be too little tho but i dont know brushless and i wouldnt want to do that lol. 

Cheers buddy, lots of heat and lots of patience is called for, once heated it goes very stretchy, not sure on the pre stretching method as it doesnt retain the heat or stretchyness long,

key is to do little bits at a time and just work your way round, done a DJI phantom before and it turned out ok, not sure on the lightpod though as its quite small and would mean getting very hot fingers.. lol

If you're going beyond 8s, I'd consider a 520kv motor. The 2028 on 10s equates to 40 volts x 780 = 31200 rpm. This is beyond its limit of 30000. I've also read recently that Castle will not warranty their kit if installed in a 5ive, this might also be applied to the DBXL.

Just commenting to watch this - great wrap job btw - stealth look is the dogs danglies.  I'd almost decided to a baja, then doing my own Kraken type cage then promptly bumped the 1:1 and thus using the mad money funds to cover the excess. 

In the meantime saw a DBXL for the first time I'm promptly decided that might be the answer so interesting to see what people make of it - I think unless I fell on a non running one I'll be sticking to petrol for the time being though.

ok cheers, looking at the specs of that it can only handle 10S, as I said earlier I would rather an 8S set up or a 12S set up as I can utilise the lipo's I already have likewise any lipo's I buy in future can be utilised accross all my rc's so to speak, may just go for an 8S setup,

what you running your 520kv on and in and what sort of speeds you getting, forgot to mention also that when I ordered the conversion kit I also ordered 16,17,18,& 20T pinions for 8mm shaft.

You could use a 6s and 4s to make 10s. Just stick a little alarm on each lipo.

Aye could do I suppose but thats just asking for disaster I would say as my 4S and 6S are all different mah and C ratings, would rather stick with 2 x packs of same size and capacity.

Nope, rare as hens teeth. Kershaw can supply them, check the site.

Oh, you asked what mine's in, the HPI Super 5sc flux.

Twenty minutes of continuous speed runs at approximately 40 mph.

Nope, rare as hens teeth. Kershaw can supply them, check the site.

Oh, you asked what mine's in, the HPI Super 5sc flux.

Twenty minutes of continuous speed runs at approximately 40 mph.

Coolio, cheers Tug and everyone else for their input, will drop them a mail see if they have any in stock and if they can put it in with my existing order save paying for postage again.

Will keep the thread updated as the conversion progresses.

Edited by rudeboy

Interested to see how the alien ESC performs in a dbxl.

Having run a 2028 on 10s, I concur with Tug that it isn't suited...in the 5ive, I had to install a cooling fan just for the can, and different gearing did very little to drop can temps. Pulled like a train though ;)

If you're going beyond 8s, I'd consider a 520kv motor. The 2028 on 10s equates to 40 volts x 780 = 31200 rpm. This is beyond its limit of 30000. I've also read recently that Castle will not warranty their kit if installed in a 5ive, this might also be applied to the DBXL.

I think the warranty issue is the esc as its too heavy over 25kg, motor will be fine

cheers again for all the info guys it really is helpful as I'm new to the brushless world in the car sense, been running brushless outrunners on my multirotors for a few years but nothing as big as these beasts, seams the principles are the same though, lower kv and higher voltages to keep temps down and run times up.

Also gonna look into seeing if there is a way I can keep the braking system so less stress on motor/esc not overly fussed about sacrificing reverse for this as used to no reverse when running my other large scale stuff all them years ago....lol