• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Zombi's Axial Yeti

Zombi

Back to the bellcrank, As you know I tried the washers but that made the assembly too tall and it rubbed on the cover above it. I was determined to have my servo saver mod work, so it was time to get the vice it. First, I put the servo saver spring in it and camped it down hard, leaving it for a while.  I put the bellcrank back together and tightened the screws loosely using my thumb to compress the spring and bearing.  Then I put the whole thing in my table vice and slowly tightened it to compress the spring whilst tightening down the screws.

When I put it back in, I noticed that the bottom of the assembly was rubbing on the chassis floor and causing some binding.  So I got the Dremel out and shaved down the offending area with a grinding bit.

As it is, it seems to have worked a treat and held out on a test run. We'll see how well it fares on tomorrow's trail day.

UT3lkZ5.jpg
zVIxWFb.jpg
Ju5AOMZ.jpg

Edited by Zombi

Think I'll run the spare on tomorrow's trailing, see how it fares. Only problem is that I'll lose a bit of ride height on the rear as it really needs a slightly stiffer spring.

SGPLh6o.jpg
GVYqyTY.jpg
xHXjjl7.jpg

Edited by Zombi
  • Like 2

What an eventful run and great day out!  Some trailing pics soon, but firstly a damage report. After several very animated cartwheels, I managed to bend my rear left axle and had a wobbly wheel for half the day. It didn't impact too much, but will have to get that fixed ASAP. 

I tested the waterproofing today too by fully submerging, right up to the roof. I'm happy to see that there were no ill effects though, the CX worked a treat!

And then towards the end of the run, this! Lucky I had my stock bellcrank on me and did a field repair. Didn't take too long to fix though....

KWrrw6q.jpg
aHgnWWT.jpg
TEF6cs6.jpg

Edited by Zombi

Aye. Win some, lose some. I'll contact AsiaTees tomorrow as these GPM bits have their "100% guarantee" which says something about none of their stuff should ever break, and if it does they'll replace it. We'll see about that :)

Good news on the bellcrank, Asiatees are sending me a replacement. What was really good is the customer service, I just sent them some pics and they didn't even quibble.  Really can't fault them, I'll be going there again.

The replacement trans shaft came so took the transmission apart, fingers crossed it'll stop the wobble. I noticed that the bearing on the old shaft was really hard to remove, yet easy to install/remove on the new one - that tells me it was definitely distorted.

Also, good job that I took the trans apart, as after my underwater exploits on Sunday, there was still some water in there!  So I cleaned it all out and have added a LOAD of marine grease in there this time instead of just a modest amount.  

I'll test the wobble either later tonight or tomorrow.

HJ5hOXF.jpg
FuD08JJ.jpg

Edited by Zombi

Been watching for the last couple of week for these to be in stock, I've finally managed to nab one!  

http://www.vanquishproducts.com/centered-pumpkin-rear-currie-axle-wraith-yeti-black-anodized/

Plus a few other goodies...

RVwQRAM.jpg

I wanted to try this to see how it differs from the Axial slipper and spur I have. I'll keep whichever i think is the better of the two and sell the other...

http://www.rpphobby.com/product_p/rrp1564.htm

RRP1564-2.jpg

Edited by Zombi

After my last trail day I noticed that my crud guard was starting to crack, just as its predecessor did which eventually snapped.  The styrene is just too brittle to last all the knocks it takes, and I've been thinking about a decent material to use for it for a while. Then on eBay I stumbled across rubber sheets!  So I got me a 2mm A4 sized sheet to test it out.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/141120177410?_trksid=p2060778.m2749.l2649&var=440211191162&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

So I used my cardboard template, cut out what i needed and attached it in the same place on the body as the styrene version.  

6Fl5FMR.jpg
kKp9aLR.jpg
fd7FSpI.jpg
DduPO9g.jpg
nhpUNb5.jpg
MDeQVas.jpg

I'm actually rather pleased with the result, and as it's flexible that should be the end of my crud guard repair woes.

Edited by Zombi
  • Like 3

So I got quite a few requests for dimensions of the crud guard, so here they are. The image itself isn't to scale as i just quickly knocked it up for representation purposes, but the measurements are accurate.  Hope folks find it useful.  I've included the pic with the other crud guard post for completeness.

MDeQVas.jpg

Edited by Zombi
  • Like 1

To be honest, your wraith deserves it. Why would you stand to have any parts on it that are not the absolute best?  :nono:

In fact, I insist that you get onto RPPHobby right now and order 2 sets!

:7_5_128[1]:

• Like 1

Also, AsiaTees were good to their word with the "100% warranty" and replaced the broken bellcrank with absolutely no fuss whatsoever.  Really rather pleased with them, and I'll definately shop there again.

cgr4G7F.jpg

Edited by Zombi
  • Like 1

So before I start putting it all together, here's a few preview pics of the goodies.  

First up, the Robinson Gen3 Slipper Unit. Although I have the Axial steel/alum combo upgrade at the moment, I liked the look of this so thought I'd give it a try and see how it fares. If I prefer it to the Axial stuff, then I'll keep this and sell on the former.

nLaElYk.jpg
HqZ5DT3.jpg

From the looks of this it's pretty solid and i can't see how I wont like it better. It's twice as expensive as the Axial equivalent, but the fittings it comes with looks as though it'll hold the spur in place really well.  Robinson gear really is top notch stuff.

Edited by Zombi
  • Like 1