• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Remove fg marder drive shaft/clutch housing

Smudge053

Can someone help, I am having to change the brake disc and the nut that the disc sits on, it has rounded itself off ( standard ) on my marder but can not get at it.

Can somebody please assist me with some instructions......

I would be very great full.

Hi, thank you for replying....... Not sure I am getting you. I think I may have explained it wrong.

I am having trouble getting the gear/clutch housing off.

I have undone the 3 bolts that holds the housing for the clutch and removed the plastic gear cog that sits on the metal wheel. I have then removed the worms on the larger wheel. I was now expecting the metal wheel to slide off the shaft and then the whole plastic clutch housing and small gear to follow suit!( and then gain access to the brake disc and square nut) but that metal wheel does not want to move!!

Am I missing something?

On this picture.... the left gear is the pinion...the right the spur gear.

24jun05002.jpg

From what you are saying, you have removed the 3 bolts holding the carrier, and have removed the gear section from teh spur gear...but have still got the hub attached. The pinion gear ( left on in the pic ) will slide out with the bell on it.

There are quite a few different alloy spur gear carriers sold for the marder, so a picture of the one you have would be useful.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FG-MARDER-ETC-ALLOY-SPUR-GEAR-CARRIER-FOR-OFF-ROADERS/281389397109?_trksid=p2047675.c100011.m1850&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D24135%26meid%3D8467068125682715426%26pid%3D100011%26prg%3D10245%26rk%3D3%26rkt%3D10%26sd%3D321235977043#ht_438wt_1275

This is the common sort, with two grub screws, one either side, with both needing to come out. The layshaft it sits on should have one or two flats on it, and the grubs normally bear on those. Threadlock is often a factor too....

That's the one!!!

I have taken the plastic bit of the spur gear (teeth part) but the alloy part (in the eBay link) is still attached I have removed the worm screws on the alloy spur. And tried to slide it off ( did not want to put to much preasure on sliding it off thinking it is still attached to something) but I am guessing it's just old age and we all get stubborn when we are old!

I am going to replace the brake with upgraded 97 kit and I will also change the spur gear to steal as the pinion is already steal.

(Oh and yes I removed the c clips before someone asks lol)

Many thanks in advance learning all the time pinion and gear!

The layshaft ( that's the one with the brake centre and spur gear on ) is one of the weakest design elements of the Marder layout.

The layshaft gear ( on the other end ) has a tendancy to fall off ( it's held on by up to 3 grubscrews ) so that tends to get threadlocked heavily. The brake centre siezes on the shaft and grub screws round off.

You spend all that time trying to keep the parts attached .... but you still need to be able to get them off easily to replace the bearings in the large engine mount, so I would suggest checking and repalcing the bearings the shaft runs in.

I used to keep my layshaft gear in place by drilling just the tip into the layshaft where the grubscrews contacted and using slightly longer screws. Stopped the gear slipping off the end. Just a dab of blue threadlock kept them in place.

If you can't get the gear centre section off, it might be possible to undo the small layshaft gear and loosen the brake centre so you can slide the shaft out the other side.

Incidentally...on both the FGs I had, I fitted a steel one-piece spur gear. That was just slotted on the shaft and held with a circlip. Dead easy to remove!

Right the shaft on the right of the pic I had trouble gettin mine off have you taken engine out ? If not doesn't matter. I put something just big enough to the size of he shaft and hammer it threw so the spur gear on the right comes off

It's off!!!!

Yea for me.... Thank you all. Had to come out the other way inside to out, still can not get the alloy spur carrier off. There seems to be some warping/mark/ indentation on the shaft itself (lay shaft gear end) this might be why it was so hard to get out, even the bearings would not slide along it, had to knock them through.

Shopping list

Lay shaft and bearings, steel spur gear....

If I work out how to put photos up I will add

Thank you....

• 2 weeks later...