• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Losi MRC Samurai trail project

DreXeL

So my Son loves using my SCX10 and wanted a crawler of his own, he likes the scale looks of my SCX10 and isn't keen on the non-scale looks of things like the AX10, Maverick scout etc. The Losi Mini crawler that Garry had for sale caught my eye as it was a good price, but I wasn't sure if I could do anything with it as far as a scale body goes. Then when watching some Youtube vids I saw that Speedway Pal do a 1/10 Suzuki Samurai body, it's designed for the Tamiya M-Chassis, but it fits the wheelbase of the Mini Crawler absolutely perfectly. Here it is on an M-Chassis:

3P8K5004_1_1_1.jpg

And here it is on a Losi Mini Crawler:

img2057n.jpg

So I decided to bite the bullet, and bought the Mini Crawler from Garry. That done, I stared to find the Samurai bodyshell, only to discover that it is discontinued and pretty much nobody had one, but I finally found a Japanese seller with some in stock, Banzai Hobbies. Fairly expensive at

Edited by DreXeL

Still waiting on the shell, it's currently sat in customs 'awaiting customs charging' :rolleyes:

In the mean time we took it out for a bit of crawling with my Honcho, it performs really well for the most part, and can go pretty much anywhere my Honcho can, but one thing that was evident was that the tyres lacked the grip of the Flatirons on my Honcho. I don't have a huge budget for this build so didn't really want to shell out on new tyres, then I realised I have a spare set of Flatirons. Of course they would have been way too big for the Samurai shell, so I decided to have a go at cutting them down and fitting them onto a set of Mini wheels I had lying around. So this:

IMAG0085.jpg

And this:

IMAG0086.jpg

Some cutting and chopping and black paint later becomes this:

IMAG0088.jpg

Next to an original size Flatiron on an SCX10 rim:

IMAG0089.jpg

Considering it was the first time I have done a cut-and-shut job on a tyre I am really pleased with the result. I'll clean the others up and do them all, they should look great with the Samurai shell, and will hopefully give better grip on rocks than the original tyres :good:

Nice work mate ... I Built myself a samurai too, here's a link if your interested http://www.ukrcrc.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12392

Nice build, funnily enough that is pretty much the exact colour scheme we had in mind for ours :D

I like what you did with the chassis :)

The shell finally arrived, I got absolutely raped by customs :(

No matter, it's here now and I'm impressed with the quality and the amount of sticker options it came with. I finished reducing the other tyres, and cut the shell and did a test fitting:

shellon.jpg

It's a great fit, and the wheels/tyres are a perfect size! Really happy with that, just need to tidy up the cuts and start painting it tomorrow :)

OK, I decided to photoshop some colours onto it last night and my Son decided he liked it in black, so that's what we went with. Fine by me, it meant it was easier to paint ;)

Here is the result (my camera sucks indoors):

DSCF2038.jpg

DSCF2043.jpg

DSCF2046.jpg

DSCF2050.jpg

DSCF2051.jpg

Happy with that, will probably get some bumpers and rock sliders at some point, and maybe even a winch, but that's pretty much it for now. Can't wait to get it out with my Honcho :004:

Edited by DreXeL

looks good mate, if it were me i would add a touch of colour to it, maybe a green or something or a few decals, looks kinda plain in a way, think it needs to stand out a bit more

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...