• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

ostewart's Axial RR10 Bomber Build

ostewart

Thought I would start a thread as I'm very interested in this model from what I've read and seen online.

Just got a little work bonus and its enough to pre-order from MS, but I might hold off until the new year.

Anyone pre-order one?

From people in the states, the RR10 is what the Wraith should have been. Looks like a great basher with good crawling capability.

Ok, so it arrived early and I got to work on it straight away. It was all assembled very nicely, with grease in both axles but not much in the centre transmission. The shocks weren't properly filled either (rebuilt with 25wt front and rear)

So far it has:

Beef Tubes front and rear (thanks mr Banners!)

27t peak racing rebuildable motor

SSD beadlocks 

RC4WD Interco Irok 2.2 tires (vented, stock foams)

Xpert WR4401 servo

Castle BEC

SSD Titanium steering links

Photos:

DSC_8047_zpspo3ucsis.jpg

DSC_8046_zpsxsa7w6mp.jpg

DSC_8049_zpsrrfdxzla.jpg

DSC_8048_zps27jnkdux.jpg

DSC_8051_zpsrbu9j4ip.jpg

DSC_8050_zpsfgh2lhtw.jpg

DSC_8052_zpscmt1bwqr.jpg

DSC_8053_zpsex4s65as.jpg

EDIT 28/02/16

List of Installed parts (for anyone interested)

Electrics:

Castle MMP

Castle BEC

Spektrum Receiver

Hitec HS-7980TH Servo

Tekin Roc 412 2300kv

Floureon 3s 25c 5000mah lipo's

Generic ebay LED's

Chassis:

Dlux Fabrication Aluminium Trailing Arms

Dlux Fabrication Sway bar, with medium bar

Dlux Fabrication Titanium front and rear upper links, and front lower links

High Tensile Screws

SSD Titanium Front Steering Links

GPM Aluminium Servo Mount

Boom Racing Aluminium Rear Lockouts

Boom Racing Aluminium C-Hubs

Boom Racing Aluminium Steering Knuckles

Proline Pro-spec Shocks (Super hard spring rear - 40wt oil, Super soft spring front - 20wt oil)

Brass Beef Tubes front and rear

Wheels + Tires:

SSD Steel Beadlocks

RC4WD Interco Irok Tires

Crawler Innovations Double Deuce Foams (Medium outer front, Firm outer rear)

Vanquish SLW 725 Hubs

Drivetrain:

GPM Aluminium Motor Mount

GPM Aluminium Spur Gear Cover Plate

Robinson Racing Steel Spur and Slipper set

MIP Driveshafts front and rear

Axial Heavy Duty Steel Bevel Gears 43/13t (Underdrive front and rear)

LockedUp RC FI Spools

Axial CVD's front

Edited by ostewart
  • Like 1

Wasn't cheaper on any of the german shops I could find, just pre-ordered from MS,

Need some 3s lipos, lets hope I can sell some stuff before it comes, or I'll just order some anyway.

Got a Castle BEC coming with it, as I will be using the Xpert WR-4401 servo I have, 20.24kg at 6.6v, should be great for this beast (fully waterproof too)

I think metal links will be my first upgrade, then beadlock wheels and we'll see where it goes from there.

Shame it has plastic shock caps, not all aluminium shocks, but I guess that will be easy upgrade. i'll keep you all updated, now someone go buy my Pro-MT Roller, and Blitz Roller please !

I'll be selling the stock radio gear and servo when it arrives, and using my spectrum DX4C and above servo :)

Titanium steering links from RCbitz are only about £12, so i'll be getting those.

Also want universal joint axles on the front, but the axial are expensive. HD gears etc... the list could go on, depends on budget. Also will be getting a rebuildable 35t motor, as it's a lot easier to replace brushes than the whole motor :)

Already ordered some goodies for this.

As previously stated I'll be running and Xpert servo from a castle BEC.

27t rebuildable peak racing motor, 14t pinny (see how hot it runs), titanium steering links, SSD Beadlocks and interco Irok tires.

HD gears and MIP driveshafts are on the list for the future, as are CVD's and alum links/arms

Bloody Axial money pits, but I'm looking forward to getting it and having a play. Only got 2s batteries at the moment, may go 3s.

Edited by ostewart

Sold some headphone cups, so now I have ordered Axial Heavy Duty gears for the front and rear (stock gearing, not over or under drive) along with Axial CVD's, and a nice Axial servo horn (already got a alum one, but the Axial one looks better)

Might order some beef tubes from Banners too :)

Just got an email saying my RR10 is being delivered tomorrow, unfortunately I am off to Portugal for 3 days, but I will start a build thread with plenty of pics as I will be upgrading it a fair amount as you have seen.

First up will be installing all the electrics I have :)

I will be having beef tubes for this rig too, I don't want rotating mass in the wheels really for what this is used for

Edited by ostewart

Looking good so far fella.

had a go with one of these yesterday, and although I'm still definately interested in buying one, I think I'll wait for a kit.

my reasons being (after rtr yeti) it would need at least £100-200 more putting into it and the electrics certainly don't warrant the extra outlay.

all said though, drives like a good one and seems to tackle the rough stuff, oh and it wasn't running stock electrics or wheels and tyres either.

still very interested in which direction you go with this mate :good:

well the first outing was great fun, 27t motor and 12t pinion was a bit too much on 3s lipo though, and I may have burnt the motor and motor plate... But it had good wheelspeed anf crawling capability. The drag brake on the ESC isn't brilliant though.

Now I am thinking Tekin 30t hand wound motor, 10t pinion on 3s.

Well I did manage to burn the motor out, not the motor mount though.

It was only a £17 motor, not expecting much, and gearing was a little high for a 27t on 3s.

Teking Pro Handwound 30t motor ordered, with a 10t and 11t pinion, also have a heatsink with a fan to keep temps down also (not sure if it'll be needed yet).

Also ordered GPM alum motor mount and spur gear cover.

The RR10 looks to be a great basher as it can handle some speed (one day i'll go 2-speed with a sensored brushless setup) but also crawls very well. It does like to roll a little, and it cocks the front left wheel due to torque twist but these 2 things can probably be sorted out (sway bar and changing shock setup). Overall It's what I was looking for, and I can't wait until the new motor arrives to take it out again :)

Picked up a cheap etronix 27t motor from my local hobby shop. went for another quick run, same gearing as I'm waiting for my other pinions, but had the heatsink and fan installed, was a little more careful and no burnt out motor this time.

Snatched up a Castle Mamba Max Pro ESC off here earlier today, so I guess I will be going brushless with this... money pit or what, looking at the Tekin Roc 412 motors, as I run 3s I might go for the 2300kv over the 3100kv, I can always gear up a little. Expensive motors...

I am seeing if I can cancel the 30t tekin brushed motor, I will waterproof everything with corrosionX

Tekin Roc 412 2300kv (as i'm on 3s, would have gone 3100kv if I was using 2s) on order, to use with the MMP, and MIP driveshafts as I don't want the stock ones breaking under brushless power :)

10t pinny with the 27t etronix motor is working fine, I have the heatsink with fan on it too, but ran it a little today with no excessive heat. I'm liking this truck more and more, i'm leaving the arms/links till last, I probably should have upgraded them first to be honest but they seem to hold up fine and don't flex too much.

Once my next lot of goodies come I'll take pictures:

Boom racing rear lock outs, front c-hubs and knuckles and rear upper links, 5mm hex widners (see if they fit OK)

Xpert WR-7701 servo (35kg @ 8.4v)

Mamba Max pro ESC with Tekin ROC 412 2300kv motor (conformal coating spray to waterproof both)

Locked up rc spool front and rear (still waiting on HD gears and front unis to arrive)

GPM motor mount and spur gear cover, servo mount and trailing arm graphite plates.

MIP driveshafts.

I'm thinking about VP anti roll bar, as I'll need one to reduce torque twist on this.

Keeping all the parts black, I'll probably either VP or STRC for front links (upper and lower) I like how the STRC look like the stock ones rather than just rods. Trailing arms not sure which brand yet.

Shocks, not sure what route to go, maybe king shocks (90mm front and rear, then maybe dual shocks on the back with 110mm on the rear also)

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, so whilst I'm waiting for my Roc 412 motor to arrive I got installing some bits in preparation. It will run as is now too,

I hacked the front to install the light bar, the rear lights I like without the "glass", the boom racing bits seem fairly good quality, lets see how they hold up to some abuse. Waiting for my new interior as I messed the stock one up, then I have some more lights to add :)

The lights are running at 7v from the ESC's internal BEC.

The front MIP driveshaft did require some very small sanding of the receiver box.

List of things now:

Castle MMP

Castle BEC (running at 8.4v)

Xpert WR-7701 servo (35kg @ 8.4v)

Etronix 27t motor (11t pinion)

Axial CVD's

Axial heavy duty bevel gears (43/13 front and rear)

Locked Up RC FI Spools

Boom Racing rear upper links, hubs, knuckles and rear lock outs

SSD front lower links

STRC front upper links

GPM servo mount

MIP driveshafts front and rear

Proline Pro-Spec shocks front and rear (front has a small spacer to lower it a little)

High Tensile screws all round

DSC_8168_zpsbsoroxv1.jpg

DSC_8167_zpsm0urh5ox.jpg

DSC_8172_zpsxf6qedjq.jpg

DSC_8171_zps4odfwloi.jpg

DSC_8174_zpsjif4pao2.jpg

DSC_8176_zps8c6thgth.jpg

DSC_8175_zpsdlgs2441.jpg

DSC_8179_zpsrl80r6gx.jpg

DSC_8177_zps8gsxsvuw.jpg

Very nice rig mate. How do you rate the shocks over powerstrokes. Being official king shocks they should be some of the best in the market. It's a shame they use plastic caps.  Does axial offer resi caps.  

I'm looking forward to the score truck I doubt I'll buy one but I'm very intrested in it. I wish the body would fit the slash but I hear it's more of a 1/8 sc body. 

The stock "king" shocks are not very good, they leak and are not the smoothest.

They are just normal aluminium body with plastic everything else, nothing like proper king shocks.

Fine for rtr, but the Proline pro spec are amazing, and I only needed one pair as I had them on my blitz.

Need stiffer springs on the rear though as the pre load is almost all the way down. I went 30wt front, 35wt rear, might be a tad heavy but testing will tell when I get a chance to take it out again.

• Like 1

ROC 412 being installed tomorrow, spent last night waterproofing it. Hoping my waterproofing on that and the MMP works :)

Also ordered Dlux Fabrication rear sway bar, next I need Proline pro spec spring set as the front is too stiff.

That's quite a let down on the king shocks mate. They advertise them like it's an evolution in rc rtr shocks lol. 

Prospec shocks are what I was thinking of when I saw the kings thinking they'd be as good. But atleast the prospecs look like the stock shocks too blue. 

I saw a bomber rat rod build on Facebook the other day I think it had twin axles at the rear. Looked totally crazy but awesome. If that's the kind of builds the bomber allows this will be a very cool rc. I must say I thought it would be more popular here tho.