• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

TEE_COZY'S CEN GST-E (tekno style)

TEE_COZY

Hello all,

I have been leeching off these forums for years, i think its time for me to stop being lazy and document something  :sweatdrop:

My lastest build is going to be a CEN GST-E with a slight difference, i will be using a tekno trakion drive clutch. This should save the drive line in the event of big hits and protect those already legendary cen diffs :)

IMG_20150117_185148_zpsvnnprcws.jpg

The tekno motor mount and trakion drive clutch...

IMG_20150117_185223_zpsrcqs6wvp.jpg

I plan to scrap the stock plastic battery tray and servo tray, i will use some nitro engine plate braces (the plastic bit by the motor) and make my own out of CF or alu. Then i will drill a hole pattern for the tekno motor mount in the homebrew plate, the centre diff mount will only hold the centre diff and not the motor. This should eliminate me ripping the end bell off the motor under heavy landings.

Will try go truggy style as well, the losi 8ight t body should fit :)

IMG_20150117_185421_zpsa8kpkvzm.jpg

Along with some badlands...

IMG_20150117_185302_zpshdjyh7wc.jpg

Very impressed with the quality of cen parts so far, still waiting on some parts to come through !

Watch this space.

Edited by TEE_COZY

Was just messing about and found some wheel hexes, for some reason the pin diameter is 2.5mm ? however i soon sorted that out...

IMG_20150117_194818_zpsteo8ar6y.jpg

Found some pins for them as well, they must have come from my savage days.

IMG_20150117_194946_zpskhsrn0zj.jpg

It may also be worth noting that every thing i make is normally out of a 1 bed flat, my missus must really love me ! (maybe)

Update - my original plan was to use the tekno mount onto a custom servo plate and cut/bore out a hole in the stock motor plate to allow the clutch bell to fit. In a normal center diff mount the clutch bell does not fit if you reverse the center diff, it is about 2mm/3mm short of fitting. However i did not realize until looking at the parts that cen uses 2 aluminum sleeves/bushings over the bearings....

IMG_20150120_180546_zpsrkh2jlai.jpg

IMG_20150120_180553_zpsstoyt05q.jpg

IMG_20150120_180533_zps7btz0swm.jpg

So this means no custom fabrication is needed, the CEN accepts a tekno trakion drive clutch stock. 

IMG_20150120_183018_zpsqayol5oq.jpg

It does clear, anything smaller than a 13t pinion and you would have to shave some off the plastic part.

IMG_20150120_183029_zpso8jg9zsz.jpg

I made a slight error when ordering the chassis plates, it turns out that the GST-E has 4 extra holes in each TVP to hold the center diff. 10 minutes later and a drill soon fixed that...

IMG_20150120_202740_zps3pxt4ypj.jpg

Coming together 

IMG_20150120_204524_zps4lpkyrwy.jpg

Yep, you can find it here http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXAUAW

tkrc4306.jpg

It is basically a adapter that fits on your motor just like a pinion, however it has some setup options.

Electri clutch:

You can use it in the same way a nitro does Tekno calls it an "electri clutch", the clutch shoes are held back with light springs and when the rpm's build up enough the centrifugal force spreads the clutch shoes and creates friction with the clutch bell giving you forward motion. Please note that if it is used in this way you will need mechanical brakes...also your motor will run a lot cooler (around 20% cooler) due to the fact that the motor will not be doing the brakes.

Trakion drive:

The other springs with the straight ends are used for what Tekno calls the "trakion drive", this means that the clutch shoes are pushed into the clutch bell rather than being held back. This gives several advantages, you can use different springs in order to tune how much slip you get because the clutch shoes are in contact with the clutch bell from 0 rpm's you also get instant power. However if you use lighter springs the friction will be less and power will be easier to put down as it will eliminate wheel spin, but i am using stiff springs this should mean that wheelies are available on demand. 

Using this system will help save your drive train when landing jumps as the clutch should slip before your diffs do :) This "trakion drive" system will also allow you to use electric motor brakes and will give a progressive feel to them.

Edited by TEE_COZY

Interesting. I remember two-speed modules that you attached to the shaft in place of the pinion, the pinion was attached to the module.

Not sure if they were any good, I'll be watching to see how you get on with this.

So the Trakion thing either works as a centrifugal clutch to ease in the power .... and eliminate motor braking

or

As a slipper clutch that uses clutch type springs to tune the slip rather than tightening a bolt. The benefit is it won;t loosen off mid run....the flipside being it's not as tunable

Makes sense if it's durable enough. What does it use for shoes?

So the Trakion thing either works as a centrifugal clutch to ease in the power .... and eliminate motor braking

or

As a slipper clutch that uses clutch type springs to tune the slip rather than tightening a bolt. The benefit is it won;t loosen off mid run....the flipside being it's not as tunable

Makes sense if it's durable enough. What does it use for shoes?

You can fit any shoes and clutch bell to it i think, at the moment it uses the 7075-t tekno alloy ones. I would say that it is quite tunable, a change of spring stiffness will drastically change the slip...i suppose it would be progressive as well (ie slip more at lower rpms) that should make acceleration and braking nicer. 

Standard nitro clutch bell and 3 shoe setup would make it a winner for me.

Especially as I have clutch shoes, springs and clutch bells knocking around rather than pinions :)

I will let you know what i think of it, i just need a wing mount now and some shocks 

• 2 weeks later...

A little more progress on the cen, shocks fitted and 17mm wheel hex's on.

IMG_20150203_220443_zpsv92xzgmh.jpg

I need to finish installing the wing mount and work out how i will fit the batteries. I will be using A123 system cells in a 6S2P config, they are quite big so i will need to redesign a new battery tray. I also need to build/assemble the packs :)

• Like 1

UPDATE - extended the shock tower, lightened the battery plate (its all holey now :), fitted a plexy glass top to fill the whole space for my huge batteries and replaced all the coarse threaded screws for proper machine screws that wont come loose on vibrations.

IMG_20150208_125530_zpsdyzddbnl.jpg

IMG_20150208_125523_zpsi00kr0ka.jpg

IMG_20150208_125447_zpsnmepncjf.jpg

IMG_20150208_125418_zpsl94x7ouo.jpg

Next on the list is to print a new CD gearbox cover as the old one does not fit over the clutch bell.  

Update - I was playing around trying to design a new gearbox cover, this i thought why not just drill out the stock one and build up a guard on to of that ....

IMG_20150208_215224_zpskvo2kwl1.jpg

IMG_20150208_215218_zpsun4vj24j.jpg

I used wire mesh to bend to the correct shape, then shoe goo over the top to make a unholy cover :)

Fitted the shell as well...

IMG_20150208_233819_zpsrdxkrsyj.jpg

Please ignore the fact that it it a team losi on a CEN :)