• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

8 year old new to R/C

terier

We are getting our 8 year old son a R/C for christmas,it will be his first.When i was young the "top" make was Tamiya but now there seems to be loads of different makes.What would be the best make to get?,electric or nitro?.He wants a 4 wheel drive off road type.Thanks for any help.

well a 2wd truck or buggy would run find on playing fields and most offroad places really

a 4wd will be easier for him to control though

electric would probably be better suited for an 8 year old as a first RC as nitro can sometimes be a bit fiddly, electric is pretty much charge it up, plug in and go

what kind of type of RC does he like the look of? i have an 8 year old brother and i know he would probably be more concerned about how it looks and how fast it goes than anything else, theres plenty of options around(monster truck, stadium truck, buggy...)

Thanks for the reply.We said 4 wheel drive so he can run it off road,ie playing fields etc.Our budget would be around £200 ish?.He has no experience of R/C

If it was my choice, I'd get him one of the 1/16th E-Revo's from Traxxas. They come completely ready to go, built, painted etc. All the bits like battery and charger are in the box.

They do two versions, a brushless VXL one (thats silly quick, and over budget), and a tamer, easier to drive XL-2.5 brushed version (thats around £190). its quick compact, so he'll be able to stick it in a rucksack and take it out easier than a larger 1/10th car.

http://www.modelsport.co.uk/?CallFunction=Category&CategoryID=992010&ManufacturerID=60&ChassisID=608&ShowCar=1

Go for a brand new Slash RTR

Waterproof, bulletproof.

He'll love it!

That looks about right!.But i was thinking of building the car myself?What kind of run time do you get on something like this?,how long to charge with a quick charger?.

Edited by terier

a stock slash on a 6 cell nimh pack i reckon you would expect around 15-20 mins, maybe more

i think the mini e revo garry suggested would be very good also though and they are 4wd but they are 'mini' so a bit smaller than most trucks

the slash is a great truck, its 2wd but does very well offroad and as said they are completely waterproof which makes for great fun and also really really strong

If your son didn't like the mini-revo you could always stick a Velenion brushless system in it and keep it your self :D

I would say go for a Baja king kit. Its a great starter kit, you build it, buy the radio gear and it comes with the servo's and stuff. It's also a TL-01B so many parts from the TL-01 will fit. I have a Baja king and it was a brilliant introduction into the RC world. It was my first RC :)

put simply out of the 3 power sources i have the only one i don't care about letting an 8 year old drive is my slash, it seems to be tougher than it is fast and although it handles like a pig dipped in mud then had its feet tied together its fun for drifting etc, can go on road or off and doesn't mind a lake let alone a puddle.

on a 4500mah battery i get about 20 mins running an upgraded but similar to stock motor. get yourself a couple of 7.2v nimh's [as big a mah as you can] and a good charger and it will be a very good starter imo.

heres how mine does:

th_Slashbashandcrash.jpg

i hope that works unsure.gif

edit: as for chargine i use an ansmann xbase, when out bashing i use a couple of 12v batteries to power it on the go and charge at 1c meaning battery is guaranteed to be done in an hour but when i'm at home i use slower charges to keep them good.

Edited by adolf hamster

i think the slash would be good for him mate, and yeh, no 350 is way too much, like most model shops he probably wanted to sell you the most expencive this and that, my local one is terrible for that and thats why i dont go there anymore, apart from the lectures you have to go through with everything you have is rubbish and "you want this" lol keep to modelsport of you can buddy